Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Heavy duty flat pedals – which one?
  • toonlad
    Free Member

I need something robust. DMR V12s – went all clicky after nine months and didn’t fancy the £25 service pack – that’s two pairs in under two years
    Burgtec M4 Composite lasted two rides.
    I’m 100kg and climb hard.

What are your longlasting recommends please lovelyl people?

Many thanks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

got the XT ones. They’re brilliant. And Huge

very very grippy

joebristol

The most robust pedals I’ve had are the Carbon Cycles Exotics I think. I actually prefer my Superstar Nanos but if you’re heavy I’d prefer more bearings for longevity so I’d take the Exotics. They’ve also been bashed off a fair mount of rocks / logs etc and still look in on shape.

Rebuilt kits (of which I haven’t needed one yet) are only £10 too I think.

thelooseone

I’m approx 95 kg and ride flats exclusively, current pedals of choice are the Chromag Scarabs which i’ve been using for about 2 years on the singlespeed (and another newer pair on a full sus) with no issues. They are expensive, yes but they are good, best flats i’ve had. Quality materials and seals, bearings and bushings are original and still going strong. I like that you can tune the pin length, number of pins ands pin placement per pedal. Before the Chromags I had DMR Vaults which were good until one of the pedal axles snapped mashing the singlespeed uphill(!).

kula72
    Free Member

In fairness I had a set of v12’s for 12 years without replacing a bearing. Last set 5 years just stripping and regressing from time to time. When I think robust I think v12.

toonlad
    Free Member

Thank you will look into them

trumpton
    Free Member

Sounds like the v12s you have got are the old style that lasted forever

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ve had Nukeproof Horizons for a couple of years, 1 pair and have been great. Haven’t had to do any maintenance with them so far.

dizcostix
    Free Member

Burgtec mk4 pedals at 110kg have seen me right for almost 5 years with 1 service kit. Was kind of hoping they would die as the new mk5 look a nicer wider platform for my bigger feet but the mk4s just keep going. No longer look black though!

tish
    Free Member

My burgtec composites didn’t last 2 months, I sent them back and they said they have repaired them. They were posted back to me Monday so I’m expecting them soon, I’m presuming they have just changed the internals. Shame really as I like the feel of them but I don’t think I’ll be getting them again. One up got recommended on a post on here, I think I’m trying them next.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My Burgtec comps also haven’t lasted well. The internals are shyte. Not as shyte as DMR Vaults, which are spectacularly shyte. The have both been resigned to the spares bin. OneUp also went the same way, but the also felt rubbish too, due to a lack of concavity. They bypassed the spares bin & just went in the actual bin.

The best lasting pedals I have had are the Nukeproof Horizons. I have smashed a set into all sorts over the years & they are still going strong on the original bearings & bushes, with no play & no rattling. Just got a set of the newer style ones for my other bike. So they get the thumbs up from me 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burgtec penthouse mk4 on both my Bronson and my commuter, bomb proof.

benpinnick

The Unites are my new go to. Super nice very robust and made in the UK. Long term is a bit tricky but I know a bunch of people on them all still running smooth AFAIK (including my own). Longer than I would expect to get from some on the list above!

chakaping
    Free Member

If you wanna try some secondhand Slim Jims (in white though), drop me a message.

oikeith

Nukeproof Horizons, I used them before going clips, 4 of my riding buddies still use them. Service kit and spares are easy to come by via CRC too.

kula72
    Free Member

@trumpton I did have the old v12’s and they just lasted. I gave them away after 12 years and duty on 3 bikes and were still spinning as smooth as new. The new slimmer ones don’t seem to seal as well, but if you are prepared to service them regularly they should last forever. I’ve got 2 pairs here one of which has a bearing which is starting to go. But I’m 14 stone, big bike, gritstone area, jetwash through boggy winters etc.. can’t complain.

JAG

I’ll second the Carbon Cycles Exotic pedals.

Very nice looking and tough-as!

I’ve only had them 9 months but no problems so far ;o)

trumpton
    Free Member

Looks like if you want a pedal to last go for a thicker chunkier profile pedal like everyone used to have

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Heavy duty flat pedals – which one?’ is closed to new replies.