Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Heavier blokes riding orange 5's……..help
  • ton

just wondering if there are any big blokes on here using orange fives.
    some shock/frame ratio’s do not suit heavier riders..is the five one of these.

any info greatly appreciated..thanks

xiphon
    Free Member

Define heavy?

I know some fairly generously proportioned people riding Fives and a Patriot, and not had any problems that I know of.

450lb spring was changed for a 650lb.

stevede
    Free Member

I’m 14 and a bit stone fully kitted so not uber heavy but i run a 700lb spring on my shock. No issues with the ride apart from the noise!
    I’d say a coil shock or a custom valved air shock would be beneficial though as my rp23 blew through its travel way too easily.

Wookster

ton ridden my five while 125kgs plus 5kg of pack shock at 285 psi no issues at all. I am a lot faster up hill since I’ve got lighter mind!! 😆

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had a Five, 09 model with a 20″ frame.

I’m 6’2″ and 14.4 stone.

Can’t remember what pressure exactly I ran but found it worked best for me at 15% sag.

I really liked that bike.

Mantastic
    Free Member

19 stone here and riding a new orange five. I have the 20inch version and ride on natural trails in the wyre forest and surrounding area. No issues at all with the shocks, front or back. I run the rear at 285psi and the front @ 125psi( iirc). Even loaded up with kit the rear shock performs well, I have no issues with bottoming out and there is plenty of travel left once I am aboard.

If you local to Bewdley more than welcome to have a blast on it

carbon337
    Free Member

15st here on a 2010 doing jumps drops etc. Running rear at 285 and a lyrik coil 160 fork. Would like a coil shock as reviews with coil shocks say they are excellent.

Houns

Ton there is an Awesome 5 in the shop at Llandegla, if it is your size then get it!!

gingersquirrel

17 stone here fully kitted out – very agressive rider. I run a 500lb spring on a ccdb on my 5. never had any problems . I think the 5 and alpine suit a more substantial rider as they have not been made to be ultra light – its very rare you hear of them snapping , and I have tried very hard!

falkirk-mark

Over 100 kilos here (probably 110 suited and booted) at 275 psi with no problems

ton

so running one with a rp23 is a good option?

i run 275 psi in my rp23 on the ventana and 130 in the forks.

more i look at em more i want one…..

DeeJay
    Free Member

I was impressed – but I’m only a lightweight!! 😆

ton

dave……..you bought one ❓

DeeJay
    Free Member

No – had it for 3 days – if I had not already got the Hemlock I would have one though.

ton

you liked it then?

igm

I’ve ridden mine in Les Gets with my son on a LOCT – all up weight 20st.

No problems. Rode well, strong enough.

Didn’t jump it – but we scared a few lads on the side of the 4X course when we did it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Get another Heckler Tony… You know you want to.. 🙂

DeeJay
    Free Member

It needs the roughest trails, big rocks and a madman sat on it and it is wonderful 😆 – Damn thing nearly broke both my ankles when I cracked them off the swing arm a few times though- poor technique on my part I expect!!

I set it up quite soft at the rear and propped it up with the propedal to climb or do any road bits – it was good

spock
    Free Member

If a standard shock doesn’t work very well would a high volume shock be better for a heavier rider maybe? Maybe a DHX Air?

spock
    Free Member

If a standard shock doesn’t work very well would a high volume shock be better for a heavier rider maybe? Maybe a DHX Air?

Houns

Teetosugars – Member

Get another Heckler Tony… You know you want to.

That or the Five @ Llandegla!

ton

houns, any idea what size mate.

Bregante

Must admit I’m sorely tempted too. Orange are having a demo day at llandegla on 13th november and I’m trying to resist giving one a go……

montylikesbeer

hi ton you threw your leg over mine at the patley bridge ride.

I’m 18 stone and have no issues at all

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

you finally joining the meltham/golcar Orange 5 club ? I hear trout finally surrended too !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Heavier blokes riding orange 5's……..help’ is closed to new replies.