Heaven of the South on a cyclo-x bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum Heaven of the South on a cyclo-x bike?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Heaven of the South on a cyclo-x bike?
  • nickbarthram

Hey all

Anyone done the Heaven of the South ride in Gloucestershire before? If so, do you reckon it’s possible (without ridiculous madskillz) on a cyclo-x, or MTB only?

Thanks

Nick

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

I was wondering the same thing. A forum search suggests that the descents are a bit bashier than the HONC.

One poster was even saying he regretted riding it on rigid forks, although when has anyone ever not regretted having rigid forks at some point in a ride?

nickbarthram

Interesting. I live right next to a bit of the course and I know it goes through a section which would be tough on a cx. Didn’t know how representative it was of rest of course.

andyrm

Done it 3 years in a row – TBH I reckon a proper MTB is best bet. Couple of the descents last year were definitely MTB territory rather than CX bike.

tang

You could, I live on the route and ride lots of it cx, no picnic mind! However, I would say xc orientated ht or fs is the best tool.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

It depends how much cider you want to drink on the way round.

flipper29

I live round there and have ridden the course. CX would be doable, but as stated a few of the descents might be a bit more interesting.

nickbarthram

Thanks for the advice folks. Think I’m gonna MTB it, but saying that might take my CX along the course (or public bits of it) I. Advance just to see. Found route from previous here Strava segment

Probably will be more fun on MTB. But I just get really frustrated on it on any straights, need a 29er…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

DrP’s doing it on a Tandem, I’m sure a cx bike will be fine…

Premier Icon brakeswithface
    Subscriber

I think 90% of it would be pretty good, and the rest would be pretty full on. Some great riding either way, but I’ll be riding my mtb to enjoy the more technical stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Heaven of the South on a cyclo-x bike?’ is closed to new replies.