Viewing 35 posts - 121 through 155 (of 155 total)
  • Heaven is 10000 lumens brighter now. RIP Troutie
  • jairaj

Oh what sad news. I never met him in person but he gave me lots advise on modding lights in the early days of LEDs and he ended up modifying my light for me making it 10 times better! He seemed kind, knowledgeable and all round great guy. Very trusting too, he sent the modified light back and I hadn’t paid him a penny, I had to remind him 😀.

I hope he’s at peace and thoughts go out to his family.

frankconway

RIP.
    Another light has gone out.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times, watched him illuminate distant hill tops with his lights, sampled his equally powerful home-brew and had many quality night rides thanks to his lights and your batteries Smudge. RIP thoughts are with his family and friends.

Houns

Awful news

Ride in peace

dannyh
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I only just saw this.

I’ve never heard a bad word said about the fella and due to his excellence, sadly, a lot of his products will outlive him now.

RIP and thoughts to his family and friends. Obviously most people paying tribute here will have known him, or of him, through his lights. To be held in such high regard by people who will mostly have been ‘customers’ is rare and suggests that he will have meant a lot more to a lot more people beside.

VanHalen

Blimey. Helped me loads with advice for building the light kit I bought from him. Top bloke. Such a shame.

anagallis_arvensis

RIP sad sad news

geologist
    Free Member

Shit shit shit !
    I’m still running the liberator he sold me 6 years ago as my main light.
    I remember I had no money and didn’t know if I could warrant the investment in a night light. But purely on the basis of a single message to him on this forum, he trustingly sent me out a light to try (which I of course did indeed buy).
    I was touched by that.
    He sounds like the sort of human being we all aspire to be (and an awesome engineer to boot).
    RIP Troutie

CHB

Shaken by this. Chris was a top bloke. I have one of the very first Lumen Liberators and a mate at my then work supplied Chris with the CAD file for the light logo (Chris soon changed to a much nicer logo!). A genuine tinkerer and outright solid man. Yorkshire is a poorer place with his passing. Thoughts and condolences to family.

smudge
    Free Member

I’ve laughed and cried so much looking back reading these posts. I really can’t believe Chris has been taken so soon. We had talked about so much just a few weeks ago. I know and I can hear him calling me a daft bugger crying right now. He touched so many peoples lives as I can see from here. X

therealhoops
    Free Member

I logged back in for the first time in ages because I’d heard about Bullheart and now I find out about Troutie as well!
    This is turning into an anus horribillis.

Dear Universe,
    I can think of plenty of people that should be further up the queue than Bull and Trout. Please sort it out.

yours sincerely

TRH

Haze

RIP Troutie

benz
    Free Member

A true gent.

He certainly brightened up many lives!

RIP

takisawa2

RIP good fella. ☹️

Mugboo

After Steve Worland died there was a thread on here from a chap asking us all to ‘pull up a chair and grab a brew’. He suggested that us over 40’s should get tested heartwise, I never did but I will now.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

That’s so sad, he was such a nice bloke.

Many years ago I had my garage broke into and the “naughty people” took my lights as well as most of my bikes. I got in touch with Chris to see if had any lights I could buy. It turned out he had sold the last one of the batch. But he really wanted to help out so sold me one of his personnel lights (with a big discount I didnt ask for). I’ll never forget that generosity and how nice he was to chat to. I use it to this day and will now treasure it even more, thanks mate. RIP

postierich
    Free Member

Bugger 🙁 met troutie a couple of times at the Ardrock whilst on marshall duties, a great chap and loved the banter on the radios and beers afterwards.

MrOvershoot

therealhoops

I logged back in for the first time in ages because I’d heard about Bullheart and now I find out about Troutie as well!
    This is turning into an anus horribillis.

Dear Universe,
    I can think of plenty of people that should be further up the queue than Bull and Trout. Please sort it out.

yours sincerely

TRH

This X 1000000 Mark gave me courage through a really low point in my life & Chris gave me so much free advice on a project.
    If ever two blokes deserved to outlive the total shits that still walk amongst us its them

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Completely shocked. Feel slightly numb having read about the passing of one of the nicest guys I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and sharing a few rides out with.

Chris was one of a kind, always smiling, cracking a joke, even at 10PM when he’d done a full days work and squeezed us in for a last minute carpet fitting. The banter and top conversation never stopped.

Our thoughts and sincere condolences go out to the family. If Chris’s wife is reading this please let me know if we can help in anyway. I’m just outside of Skipton so not far from you if you need anything.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Trout taught me how to home anodize

I dunno how I missed this at the top of the page.

Sad.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

R.I.P. Nice guy helping others and talent.

greasyrider
    Free Member

Sad to hear this news. Condolences to his family. I was an avid follower of his posts on MTBR. I was fascinated to see his projects develop.

Mounty_73

Very sad news, condolences to his family.

He was a very nice and helpful chap.

BigM
    Free Member

RIP Troutie.
    Many years ago Chris answered my post on here, we had entered a team in Dusk till Dawn at Thetford but hadn’t managed to sort out any lights, these were the days when good lights were expensive. We were looking to hire some and Chris stepped up offering some for free.
    I drove up to his and spent the evening with him in his workshop chatting about stuff and just hanging out, I left with a load of lights and batteries. He didn’t want anything for the hire, a week later I drove back returned the lights and a crate of beers, again spent all evening chatting about this and that.
    I didn’t know him other than though this forum. But he was happy to help out and wanted nothing in return.
    Such a sad loss, what a genuine and friendly bloke, thoughts are with his friends and family.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

only knew him through the forum but he was an inspiration and one of the good guys

RIP Troutie

tenfoot

Only just caught up with this. Genuinely shocked. Very sad news.

LongboardSi
    Free Member

Only just seen this – met him for the first (and sadly last) time at this years Strathpuffer. Think his support, woodburner for drying my gloves on, and maybe a sip or two of his homebrew helped keep me going through a weekend of solo-ing.

Gutted I’ll not get to repeat the experience.

I’ve found this hard to take so thoughts are with all those who knew him better.

Si F

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

R.I.P . Great guy 🙂

martinhutch

Just a little postscript to this thread. Out today on a small hill above Skipton, came across this looking down the valley he lived in. It couldn’t be in a better spot, just next to the start of a cracking downhill!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hhGz1u]IMG_20190919_123846[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

Suddenly all my earlier griping about injury niggles and mechanicals got put into a bit of context.

RIP.

stumpy01

Nice one! Thanks for posting – never met him, but came across as a great chap.

What a lovely memorial!

lowey

Missed this post Martin. Where abouts is this ? Might pop over one ride and have a moment to remember him.

Marge
    Free Member

Was thinking about him just this weekend…
    Got my luminator out for the first time this winter

Sad thoughts but also nice that he is remembered by such positive memories

martinhutch

Where abouts is this ?

Top of Sharp Haw. Just over the stile. Unless some bugger has removed it, of course.

smudge
    Free Member

The weather was nothing like that in August when we said our last & sad fairwells to Troutie & Padster. Still can’t believe he’s gone, even last week I picked up the phone to ask him a question 😪

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hmm, don’t know what to say. He does enter my thoughts from time to time usually accompanied by an annoying yapping little dog. I once dumpt a load of logs on his front lawn that I scavenge from trail building in York. Would normally have gone to my sister, but I thought of him because he lent me a spider eye and dominator, so he deserved it. He was the sort of guy that you wanted to do stuff for because he was just a great bloke.

Viewing 35 posts - 121 through 155 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.