Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • heating – traditional radiator vs UFH
  • DT78
    Free Member

What are the current views on gas powered radiators vs properly insulated electric underfloor systems?

Gas is cheaper per kwh but is UGH more efficient?

Thinking of electric for the extension (just researching at the moment)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Using electricity from the grid is never a cheap way to heat your house.  We put air source heat pumps running underfloor heating into some of our buildings and the bills have been enormous lets just say – around three times what we would have expected if it was just gas.

DT78
    Free Member

I was thinking about it just for the kitchen extension.

I thought all the gumpf about heating the floor rather than the air meant it doesn’t need to run as hot as traditional radiators, and therefore offset the higher kwh cost?  Or is that marketing bs?

nickjb
    Free Member

Simple physics says you are pumping amount of energy into a space and it is pretty much 100% heat. When I did the back of an envelope calcs for our extension it didn’t seem like a good idea so I dinntd bother. Can’t say I miss it. Yes it would.be nice to have warm floors but we don’t actually have the heating on that much inbthe rest if the house so I can’t see ufh changing that habit

kilo

We have electric ufh here in London in the hall and lounge and wet under slate for all the downstairs in Ireland. If it were up to me I’d rip the electric out and put rads back in. The wet is a bit better though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have wet underfloor heating in the kitchen and living room.

It is meant to be very efficient, as it spread the heat evenly across the room and avoids “hot spots” and draughts. It runs at a much lower temperature than normal rads and it has a huge surface area in comparison.

However, it doesn’t heat up a cold room as quick as rads do, in winter it really needs to be left on low all the time. Does free up a lot of wall space.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I moved in with the woman I later married to find the house had heated ceilings. To make it better it seemed to be heated elements bonded into plasterboard panels and if anything moved then the connection broke and no heat.

If she was called Louise then i would have been forewarned.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought all the gumpf about heating the floor rather than the air meant it doesn’t need to run as hot as traditional radiators, and therefore offset the higher kwh cost? Or is that marketing bs?

Marketing bs

It is meant to be very efficient, as it spread the heat evenly across the room and avoids “hot spots” and draughts. It runs at a much lower temperature than normal rads and it has a huge surface area in comparison.

And again.

All electric heating is 100% efficient and modern boilers not far off. But electricity is 4-5 times the price of gas per kWh and so your bills will always be higher.

I advise on heating for a living. Avoid all types of electric heating at all costs is my advice, even modern storage heating costs a fortune.

gobuchul
    Free Member

All electric heating is 100% efficient and modern boilers not far off. But electricity is 4-5 times the price of gas per kWh and so your bills will always be higher.

Did you read my post? I was referring to a wet system.

The “prime mover” is the same as traditional rads but the heat is spread about the room evenly. Surely that has to be more efficient?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gobuchul I don’t see how it can be more efficient. Heat in = heat out etc.

Does the heat from radiators magically disappear somehow in ways that it wouldn’t with underfoor?

How does the heating system stop draughts?

I get that it may be better spread from the floor, but in the same room there will still be air currents and cold spots by windows etc

Dickyboy

Cynic-al – lower flow temperatures for UFH mean that a boiler can operate at a higher efficiency, so not entirely bullshit but having said that compared with a modern condensing boiler and properly designed and controlled radiator system I shouldn’t think it would make much difference 🤔

lesgrandepotato

We’ve got 2500ft of wet ufh. 8 zones of control. It’s brilliant. Feels very luxurious, but it’s not reactive and i seriously doubt its cheaper to run. That said last winter we had some substantial amounts of insulation missing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Exactly – the difference is elec v gas.

Wet (gas fired) is going to be same efficiency.

Electric is going to be very slightly greater efficiency…at a MAHOOOOSIVE cost

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘heating – traditional radiator vs UFH’ is closed to new replies.