Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Heating Rural Poperties
  • Stoner
    Free Member

no. installed pre-mcs/rhi, although it is inside the qualifying period, but the boiler (because its a funny pellet/log hybrid) hasnt been submitted for MCS certification and the solar kit isnt MCS certified either. The additional cost of having an MCS installer completely wiped out the economic benefit of the MCS payments. So I DIY’d and will get a faster payback even without the RHI.

The £10k boiler cost was around 7-8k more than a new oil installation (mine was a “new build” so I would have otherwise have had to pay for an oil boiler, tank, installation, boiler room pipework, pumps etc anyway) but since my fuel costs are around £300-400 a year instead of the equivalent for oil of around £1,500 then my payback will probably look like about 7-10yrs excluding oil inflation.

The solar cost £2k and saves around the equivalent of 4.5 x 30days @ 20kWh a year of energy = 2,700kWh during summer, and probably another 500kWh+ contribution the rest of the year.

However my alt fuel in summer is still logs so while it doesnt save me any money as such, it does save me the need to light the furnace every few days to make hot water. If it were a replacement for oil, it would save me around £250 a year. SO again, a 7-10yr payback excluding oil inflation.

globalti
    Free Member

We have a cold bedroom that’s in an extension outside the main body of the house. The best thing we ever did was to get a builder in to dry-line the entire room, pull down the ceiling and put in Kingspan then re-board. He fitted a Velux as well. He’s a cycling buddy so he charged us £2000 for the job.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Some great ideas there, and nice link for the solar array globalti, that’s definitely on our list for next year.

As per trail_rats post, having open plan type spaces heated by one stove works well – it allows you to run the stove hot (ie burning efficiently) whilst still heating a lot of the living space.

Our place is two thirds early 1800’s, third 2005. We’re double glazed, have a porch, and loft is quite well insulated (in some parts), yet to do decent thick curtains + blinds but that’s on the list. The old bit is a cottage with open stairs/lounge/study area – so a decent multifuel burner can heat that bit and a big chunk of the heat floats upstairs to several bedrooms. The newer bit (kitchen) has the solid fired CH range and when that is on the whole house gets warm (eventually), it does chomp through fuel though.

For autumn/spring we seem to be mainly ok on the smaller lounge burner, as the conservatory provides some heat to the rear of the house when the sun is out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ninfan
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, have heard recently of some people in small rural communities putting together a commercial biomass HW scheme, heats 4 or 5 houses in a hamlet and because the commercial grant of the RHI gives a guaranteed 20 years, eveyone’s a winner.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bear does that kind of installation as well as single dwelling stuff. I think it’s a great idea for the right property/ies

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Heating Rural Poperties’ is closed to new replies.