• This topic has 472 replies, 99 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Watty.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 473 total)
  • Heating oil – how much!
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Oil here, count me in please

burgatedicky

Can I join the STW Oil family?
    I feel the AGA pain, not personally mind, but we’ve got some friends who’ve just moved in down the road and have used >3000L of oil over the spring/summer as its their only form of cooking appliance.
    Oddly they’ve just found some room in their kitchen for a freestanding oven/hob…

intheborders
    Free Member

I feel the AGA pain, not personally mind, but we’ve got some friends who’ve just moved in down the road and have used >3000L of oil over the spring/summer as its their only form of cooking appliance.
    Oddly they’ve just found some room in their kitchen for a freestanding oven/hob…

Doing something wrong and/or not been serviced (for ever?).

We’ve a permanently on AGA, and use 3,000l per YEAR – also has the internal water ‘boiler’, so endless hot water and a huge old-fashioned bath. Have no other means of cooking.

Also, have they actually been taught/learned how to cook on an AGA?

If they use the hot plates for pans/kettles etc, then no, they’re using it wrong. Electric kettle for boiling water and ALL pans go in the ovens (except steak pan – LH top plate or butter warming – RH top plate).

This lady is very good, we went to a demo when we knew we were ‘inheriting’ an AGA.

duncancallum

Aga say 80/20 80% oven. Tbf we try and get to 90/10. We did use a stove kettle but it’s not as efficient at all.

Also don’t go full bore on the heat control.

Still uses 40 to 50 lts a week though

Toast on the Aga is awesome though….

duncancallum

I’ve a call lined up later this week to see if I can do anything.

It might prove pointless, but if I don’t ask….

Alphabet

I’m on oil too. I bought 500l to tide me over (I’m hoping prices will continue to fall) at the end of last week at £0.87990 per litre.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Just bought 500 litres at 79.65p/l. It’s insane that I’m thinking that’s cheap as I paid 14p/l in May 2020.
    Happily, my tank, which I thought was down to the last 10%, turns out to be half full still. Now, if I keep the heating off, by the spring I should still have a full tank! 🥶😏

gobuchul
    Free Member

Just bought 500 litres at 79.65p/l. It’s insane that I’m thinking that’s cheap as I paid 14p/l in May 2020.

The 14p thing was just a bizarre set of circumstances. At that time, companies were paying to take oil away in the USA.

80p a litre is dear but it’s not eye watering. I can cope with it.

@duncancallum
    – on oil here please count me in.

intheborders
    Free Member

In 2020 we paid 41p in March, 35p in July and 32p in November – cheapest price available to us (rural Scotland).

longdog
    Free Member

Duncancallum as you’re in the business do you know anything about the £100 rebate? I still cant find anything about how to actually claim it, despite it being mentioned in several places

IHN

I still cant find anything about how to actually claim it, despite it being mentioned in several places

No-one knows yet, they’re still working out how to do it.

https://homefuelsdirect.co.uk/home/heating-oil-news/how-the-war-in-ukraine-could-affect-heating-oil-prices-2

https://www.goffpetroleum.co.uk/news/im-a-heating-oil-user-how-do-i-claim-my-100-payment

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Our Aga never gets turned off, oil central heating and hot water in a big old stone house. We use about 3000 litres per annum.

burgatedicky

That sounds a similar setup to theirs. We’re frugal by comparison at home, stingy with the heating and only fires up for 1 hour twice a day for hot water. We do have insulation however, our friends….well, don’t!

brian2
    Free Member

Sneaking back up again in North Cumbria. Qtd £980.00 for 1000ltrs today. Can last another month or so, will stick it out and see what happens.

fettlin

It’s jumped from 79p to 99p a litre over the last fortnight,  herefordshire.  Gutted I hadn’t got room for 1000 litres when I checked back then…

Flaperon

If you have an Aga you can switch it to low flow overnight (just stick it on a cheap timer, when it loses power it’ll switch to low flow automatically) and have it come back on about 30 mins before you get up. Will save a huge amount of oil.

Can also consider sticking a thermocouple in the shell next to the top oven and using a programmable thermostat with PID control to hold it at 240C.

duncancallum

Nothing about the 100

I’m industrial not domestic but I’m trying to sort it.

Best saving would be a pound recovery…….

**** turds in charge 😤

Daffy

It’ll drop again soon. A moderate chunk of China has again gone into lockdown.

highlandman
    Free Member

Or will it drop soon..? The weakness in Sterling isn’t exactly helping. Diesel prices are suggesting a noticeable hike, yet of course the cost of extracting and processing the stuff at Grangemouth hasn’t changed any, the industry is happily gouging yet again.

intheborders
    Free Member

If you have an Aga you can switch it to low flow overnight (just stick it on a cheap timer, when it loses power it’ll switch to low flow automatically) and have it come back on about 30 mins before you get up. Will save a huge amount of oil.

Based on us actually doing this and then monitoring usage vs leaving on, saved the square root of FA.

ronniebond

Oil here, count me into any group savings.

Currently use heating oil club which recently saved me 15p/l over our usual supplier

On the rebate, in NI they seem to have decided to give credit via electric bills. Seems sensible tbf.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-63235534.amp

rugbydick

do you know anything about the £100 rebate?

Recently updated Govt factsheet

The Alternative Fuel Payment (<abbr title=”Alternative Fuel Payment”>AFP</abbr>) will provide a one-off payment to UK households that use alternative fuels for heating, such as heating oil or <abbr title=”Liquefied Petroleum Gas”>LPG</abbr>, instead of mains gas… Households eligible for these payments will receive £100 as a credit on their electricity bill this winter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How do they know to link your electric account to your being on alternative fuels ? Just that you don’t have a gas account ?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have never known heating oil go down over the Winter. It’s always been more expensive November to March.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have never known heating oil go down over the Winter. It’s always been more expensive November to March.

I don’t think we can treat this winter as the same as normal.

Jamze

How do they know to link your electric account to your being on alternative fuels ? Just that you don’t have a gas account ?

Maybe that combined with a govt website you use to claim it? A neighbour has 2 properties, separate address, separate electricity bill, one oil tank.

intheborders
    Free Member

How do they know to link your electric account to your being on alternative fuels ?

My thought exactly.

And if someone says it’s not having dual-fuel, then anyone electric only without oil/LPG would also get it.

Jamze

I read it’s coal and biomass too, but not wood I guess?

longdog
    Free Member

Cheers for sharing that, but…

What about if you don’t even have an electricity bill as you’re on a traditional Pre-payment electric meter, grrr….

Jamze

Isn’t it vouchers or they apply a credit for prepayment folks? There does need to be some way of claiming this via a website IMO. Nearly impossible to validate though.

rugbydick

@longdog

From the factsheet

Households who are eligible for but who do not receive <abbr title=”Alternative Fuel Payment”>AFP</abbr> or the £100 heat network payment, because they do not have a relationship with an electricity supplier for example, will receive the £100 via the <abbr title=”Alternative Fuel Payment”>AFP</abbr> Alternative Fund which will be provided by a designated body. We will confirm details of the <abbr title=”Alternative Fuel Payment”>AFP</abbr> Alternative Fund shortly.

longdog
    Free Member

Cheers, seems they have a lot of to be confirmed, in the near future, type answers to most things lol!

brian2
    Free Member

Quick update. Just ordered 1000ltrs at £0.82p per litre. Dropped a little and might go down further but down to 1 bar on 1250ltr tank. Rather than being dropped into the septic tank I thought I’d better press the button before we ran out. With some due diligence; turning off unnecessary rads, using the tvrs properly, setting the stat at 16° and cuddling up a bit more it should see us to April for water and heat in a 4 bed house. Only 2 of us now due to empty nest 😦

sharkbait
    Free Member

Only two of us here now and we’ve got by with just the stove so far but my eldest daughter is home for the weekend tomorrow with her BF – apparently I’ve got to put the heating on 😣

Think I’ve got about 600L still but the price is nearly low enough to buy another 500L which would see us through hopefully.

brian2
    Free Member

Yeah, my wife’s parents are coming to stay over Christmas and new year, no doubt with numerous scroungers and opportunists from her family staying over as well ‘cos we live 70 miles away and they expect to, don’t they? That two weeks will equate to about 6 weeks of normal energy use (heating, water,cooking, laundry, endless cups of tea and coffee). Hey ho but it’s a nice thing to do 😕

expatscot
    Free Member

78.7p for us this week, through the local cooperative in the village.
    I’m installing Hive with clever TRVs soon in an attempt to make the CH more efficient, particularly whilst most of the children are away during term time.
    The very old Aga provides a core heat to the house throughout the day, but it’s still getting quite nippy.

intheborders
    Free Member

expatscot – where are you as that feels cheap (including VAT?)

longdog
    Free Member

Gov still working very hard to figure out how we can get our £100 still 🙄

From Daily Record 4 days ago…

The UK Government will confirm details of the AFP Alternative Fund and when the payment will be made shortly.

The guidance states: “The £100 payment has been calculated to ensure that a typical customer using heating oil does not face a higher rate of growth in their heating costs since last winter, in comparison to those using mains gas who are supported by the Energy Price Guarantee.”

The UK Government said it will continue to monitor the prices of alternative fuels, such as heating oil, and will consider further intervention if required to protect households from extraordinary fuel prices.

Though our main issue is it’s costing us £30 a week on prepayment for electric just now and that’s with sensible use, short showers, a few washing loads a week and no tumble driers or this like that.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just had an email from one of my oil suppliers stating:
    “The government has confirmed how the Alternative Fuel Payment Scheme for domestic heating oil users will be administered.

The £100 payment will be made through electricity bills NOT fuel distributors.

Although it is still NOT CLEAR when this will be paid”

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh , that’s what they’ve been saying for a while now…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.