Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Heating engineers – is it worth having my boiler serviced?
  • jeffl

We get our Worcester combi serviced every couple of years by a gas engineer round the corner. Normally remember to book it in when I see him at the chippy. Think it’s about 9 years old now.

dannybgoode

Just had our plumber round to service ours so I asked him what he thought.

His answer – if it is a new boiler under warranty then definitely yes (ours is for reference). If anything went wrong and the warranty had been voided by not having it done it would likely cost more than the sum total of the services to fix.

If it is an older boiler – up to you. It can help prevent stuff going wrong however usually if something fails, it fails; serviced or not. The only other thing it buys you is peace of mind re: things like carbon monoxide emissions.

Seemed an honest enough answer and that’s from someone who makes money servicing boilers 🙂

footflaps

however usually if something fails, it fails; serviced or not.

Yep, all the bits which I’ve replaced just wore out and servicing wouldn’t have made any difference….

DezB
    Free Member

I’m a lack of boiler service type too. Gas eng down the road said he has spare parts because most people in the street got him to upgrade the same model. Hope he still lives there, that was 6 years ago 🙂

Reminds me of a house I stayed in when I was dog sitting. Massive house, absolutely freezing. Woman said just to use the fire in the tiny front room – had another huge lounge, but I don’t think she wanted me to go in there. (I did and turned on the hi-fi which smelt like fire).. Anyway, one night it was just too damn cold to sleep in the bedroom, so I found the ancient boiler and turned it on. Holy shite the noise from it! It worked though.
    When she got back she said she hadn’t used it for about 25 years. Was a bit put out that I’d turned it on. I haven’t been asked back 😆

dannybgoode

so I found the ancient boiler and turned it on. Holy shite the noise from it! It worked though

First night in our first house we eventually got the ancient back boiler working. We didn’t sleep a wink due tot he unearthly noises from it. Was condemned the next day and was never used again. Got a cheap and cheerful combi which only broke down twice and was quickly fixed by a Homeserve engineer on both occasions.

Got a nice Vaillant now and we do get that serviced simply for warranty purposes…

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Heating engineers – is it worth having my boiler serviced?’ is closed to new replies.