• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Heated insoles or heated socks ?
  • womp
    Free Member

Heated insoles or heated socks ?

Heated Insoles

Heated socks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What are you powering them from?

Heated anything on a motorbike is a godsend, on a mountianbike I’m desperately trying to cool down!

cookeaa

Why not put some over shoes/over sock on with one of these in to warm the shoe from the outside for a bit…

womp
    Free Member

i suffer with Raynaud’s within 30mins im extremely uncomfortable and within an hour i can be in crippling pain 🙁

i currently use Northwave artic boots a size and a half bigger with mavic inner socks and woolie boolie socks, i also put shoecovers on with the tops tucked into my tights which keeps my feet dry 90% of the time

i think im at the limit of what i can achieve withough using some sort of heating

Cookeaa – ive tried those inside my boots on my forefoot but my toes still froze, i do use them in my gloves inbetween my inner and outglove but am also considering heated gloves (hands are a little easier to deal with as i can stop and use chemical handwarmers or shove them down my crotch)

thisisnotaspoon- you can power them both with an external battery

spicer
    Free Member

Keeping an eye on this as winter rides are usually spent with foot cramp over 50% of the time!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ride flats, seriously, that brass cleat on the bottom of your shoe is a direct route out of your foot for any warmth.

njee20
    Free Member

Ride flats, seriously, that brass cleat on the bottom of your shoe is a direct route out of your foot for any warmth.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Those handwarmers don’t work by the time they’re in a shoe as there’s not enough air for them to generate heat or something. Certainly they were useless when I tried it at the puffer.

womp
    Free Member

saw these….

Warm up Insoles

Only last 45min then get hard but may work for a short commute

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In that case they should improve things for you, ive not tried either but know people who swear by insoles, probably because you can wear normal socks with them but then it sounds like you need all the heat you can get so maybe washing socks would be a worthehile comorimise.

I wear polypropylene socks for sailing, they’re very warm even when wet and not as bulky as wool socks so wont restrict circulation.

http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=RPPS&Category_Code=Footware

Or these if its really cold

http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=RWSHT&Category_Code=Footware

womp
    Free Member

yes insoles would probably be a little more convenient but im guessing the socks would give a better coverage

Thanks for the link to the socks i shall try those

womp
    Free Member

Just a quick update, ive tried a few different options over the past few weeks

My finding are basically that the higher the voltage the product takes the better the heat but the bigger and heavier the battery (obvious i know)

I personally found the 7V to be the happy medium and have gone for the Gerbing gloves and the gerbing socks (but im still looking for a better sock or insole)

i created a spreadsheet with various info as i researched, it is work in progress but may be helpful if your in the market as there are very limited reviews on this stuff

http://www.filedropper.com/heatedclothing

daver27
    Free Member

MTFU?

woody2000

Well done to daver for reading the whole thread 🙄

i suffer with Raynaud’s

nemesis
    Free Member

daver27 – Member
    MTFU?

STFU?

😉

muddy9mtb

if you could wangle more power from a 12volt battery you could buy some of the motorbike heated stuff. Granted you may need to run a dynamo ❗ either that or more insulation

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – I’m not sure if you are aware of these things or have tried any of them or not:

1. AME do heated grips for mtb and road bikes with a rechargeable battery
    http://www.amegrips.com/category/catalog/mountainbikeheated
    http://www.amegrips.com/category/catalog/roadbikeheated

2. Disposable chemical heaters are real popular with hunters, outdoors types, and NFL and college football fans here in the US. They make ones with adhesive on them to stick to the toe of your sock as well as whole insloes. The toe ones are pretty cheap, but the full insoles are kinda pricey.
    http://www.rei.com/product/829215/grabber-toe-warmers-8-pairs
    http://www.rei.com/product/730869/grabber-foot-warmers-1-pair

hammyuk
    Free Member

Exo2 do a heated battery packed insole as well as gloves.
    Keis do a cracking inner glove that is heated.
    Columbia do a heated Outdry lined glove that is outstanding without the bulk of motorcycle gloves.
    Personal experience of all three.

womp
    Free Member

MTFU?

That’s what my wife says, her advise was to smother my hands in deep heat, but I’m not sure how that will work out when I need to go for a piss

Cheers for the link to the heatead grips they look interesting, I can see them working well with thin gloves and these..

http://www.ajbikeequipment.com/index.htm

womp
    Free Member

Exo2 do a heated battery packed insole as well as gloves.
    Keis do a cracking inner glove that is heated.
    Columbia do a heated Outdry lined glove that is outstanding without the bulk of motorcycle gloves.
    Personal experience of all three.

Hammy, have you used any of these on a cycle or was it for the motorbike ? Do you normally suffer in cold? What do you think of them all ?

I’ve assumed the exo2 is at the bottom of the food chain with only 3.7v and the Kies look awsome with 12v and a decent price but the battery pack looks a little bulky and needs pairing with a heat controller (wires all over)

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve never tried the insoles but I have a Keiss heated best for the motorbike and it’s amazing.

Rachel

hammyuk
    Free Member

Use the columbia gloves on the bike.
    The Exo2 insoles aren’t bottom of the chain as they are designed to work the same at 3.7V
    Have the Keis in my winter boots on the bike and you HAVE to use a controller or they will take the skin off!
    The wires aren’t obtrusive as you just run then under your clothes.
    The Exo2 I’ve used in normal boots.
    Nerve damage and crap circulation/borderline Raynauds means I suffer and all of the above mean I feel no pain (other than burning them as the kit can be too hot!)
    Have the Exo2 waistcoat too but thats just for really long journeys.

The REALLY big mistake just about everyone makes is not having an air gap.
    Gloves are the main one – they should feel TOO BIG so as you aren’t compressing the insulation when you bend your fingers.
    Boots/shoes – NO contact with the toebox.

womp
    Free Member

Cheers hammy that’s a great insight

I tried the gerbing 12v socks and just like the Kies they will take your skin off, obviously both are designed for motorbikes with wind chill factors but it’s nice to know that they can be cranked up if the need arises

I’ll see how I get on with the gerbing 7v socks and gloves once the temp drops again

Cheers everyone for your input this thread is a life saver for those of us who suffer with raynnueds or the winter wimpies

z1ppy

My toes really suffered on last nights ride (relatively cold but hardly the coldest I’ve ridden in), good god they were painful when I got in the warm. These insoles aren’t the cheap option I was hoping for, can I ask what boot you run Womp? I’ve been (forever) promising myself some Lake MZ303’s for winter but baulk at the price having not a lot of spare cash.

womp
    Free Member

Hi sorry for the slow reply, I’m using northwave Artic, reviews tend to say the lakes are warmer but I’m more than happy with my set up now.

z1ppy

Okey dokey.. having had some (std) Northwave Celsius, I’ll stick with my dreams of MXZ303’s, though my Shiman MW80’s where fine yesterday.

FOG

It’s all very well talking about leaving an air gap but with boots I am stuck with giant feet that just fit in all manufacturers largest size! A mate with even bigger feet had to order handmade stuff that were eye poppingly expensive

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Heated insoles or heated socks ?’ is closed to new replies.