Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Heated insoles
  • wool

So it’s going to get coldish soon and I can’t face another winter riding with #icefoot if that’s a thing. Do heated insoles work for cycling or I am I wasting my cash? Ebay sellers etc all seam to be about £10 running AA battery’s and that doesn’t add up to adding up totoasty feet.Any one have any experience with foot toasters?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ditch the SPDs, worked for me.

Fat-boy-fat

For SPDs  I’ve used a variety of winter boots and heated insoles (Happy happy hot feet off sportpursuit.com). I found that heated insoles do work in a lighter winter boot (Shimano MT91s and their successors as an example) but only for a couple of hours. On the flip side, I bought a set of Bontrager Old Man Winter boots last year and they are amazing when it is really cold. Didn’t get too many wears out of them in proper cold last year but … they were pretty darned good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

My wife uses the chemical ones which are single use. She did buy some battery ones but they weren’t that good apparently. The single use ones seem to work for her. They rely on oxygen getting to the insole so if they go a bit cold mid ride, you need to open the boot, take you foot out for a bit to re-activate them….

dyna-ti

There are heated insoles/socks, and then there are heated insoles/socks. The only difference is how much you’re willing to spend or how important is it your feet remain warm.

There are products available geared towards motorcycle riders and ice climbers or winter sports.
    Company is called Therm-ic.
    eg-
    https://www.therm-ic.com/en/22-insoles
    Not cheap, but what is these days.
    No, I’ve no personal experience off them beyond researching whats best, for my own use.

chaos

Nice find @dyna-ti

Cheaper than full-on winter boots and there’s even a version with bluetooth control for added fun.

https://sidas.store/collections/winter-sports/products/insole-heat-kit-c-pack-1300

chaos

There are even heated socks. I assume they have the bonus of heating up your blood on the way to the foot as well.

https://sidas.store/collections/socks-1/products/heat-sock-set-powersocks-heat-uni-s-pack1400b

Heated socks

slowol

I got given some rechargeable ones by warmawear for Christmas a couple of years ago. Give enough heat for my commute just starting to get cold after about 2 hours (50 min ride plus faff putting shoes on, loading, lights etc. at each end). The amount of heat is small but makes a big difference to frozen toes.
    They are quite thick and clunky at the heel end and you have to pull them out of your shoes to turn on but wired remotes look like a recipe for quickly snapped wires and would cheap Bluetooth be reliable? May be just my luddite bias. I get fewer chilblains when I use them.
    Link to what looks like more or less the same things after a search-> https://www.primrose.co.uk/wireless-rechargeable-battery-waterproof-heated-insoles-warmawear-p-100208.html?cPath=37_1192

Edit: I suffer badly from cold feet so use them in lightweight walking boots with thick socks and fleece leggings for maximum lower leg and foot warmth. Shoes need to have plenty of foot and toe space to let feet keep blood flowing.

dyna-ti

I assume they have the bonus of heating up your blood on the way to the foot as well.

Thats one of the reasons i looked at getting something. Really poor circulation, smoking related to be frank, and one of my feet is white, which isnt a good thing. I reasoned that heating the blood at around the calf level would help the blood flow better.
    I was using heat packs but ive decided not to continue that and if i actually need to do something to promote blood flow it would be like the above therm-ic socks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Heated insoles’ is closed to new replies.