Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Heat my office. Electric heater experts to the forum please.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Located in Surrey. 5mx2.5×2.2m high timber framed man cave, double layer of breathable felt(one int one ext) 120mm insulation all round, walls ceiling, floor, but with double glazed (28mm) windows all along the from, about 5m2 window area. 100mm off ground, 10degree sloping roof. Timber clad, plasterboard internal, hardwood floor.
    I don’t like a really hot room, 16-18 is my comfort zone.
    I think I need a 1kw heater. Fancy timer, even internet control would be good? Free standing or wall mounted.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I bought a cheap 6ft 240w tube heater for my storeroom/drying room. It’s really effective. Really heats up the space effectively. Far better than the 2kw wall heater I had previously.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Level-Sunhouse-Tubular-Heater-Low-Energy-Electric-Tube-Heater-Thermostat-/112579437792

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you are in there a lot oil filled radiator on low worked for me in unheated bits of the house.

rene59
    Free Member

Oil filled radiator on a smart plug.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am in here 6-10 hrs a day mon to fri…

scuttler

Oil filled radiator for me in my study/office in the winter so I don’t have to heat the rest of the house up when no one else is in. Unglamourous but effective and portable and it goes away for 7 months of the year.

IHN

You don’t need anything more complicated than an oil-filled radiator on a timer plug.

andyl
    Free Member

Some kind of IR heater aimed at you would be the most efficient way.

midlifecrashes

Could “smart plugs” and the like save you some money by turning it off when you leave the house, or just don’t go in there in the morning. I guess some sort of hub with “rules” would be required.

5plusn8
    Free Member

yeah, a basic timer might not be good enough. I’d quite like to lie in bed and think, ohh gotta start work at 9, heating on for 0830 and have some remote way of turning it on.
    And then other days I might have to go in to the actual office at work in Crawely so it is variable..

koldun
    Free Member

Oil radiators are better (in my opinion) than other electric options.

IHN

When working in the home office:

1) Go into home office

2) Turn on oil-filled radiator

3) Go to kitchen to make a brew (or artisan single estate espresso)

4) Go back to office, work

5) When leaving office for the day, switch oil-filled radiator off.

Steps 2 and 3 can be interchanged depending how precious you are about being a teensy-bit chilly for 15 minutes while radiator warms up.

When working in Crawley office:

1) Go to Crawley office.

5plusn8
    Free Member

3) Go to kitchen to make a brew (or artisan single estate espresso)

No need, office has sink and kettle..

I get you, but a bit of 2018 would be nice…

IHN

If by ‘2018’ you mean “over-complicating simple operations”, then fill yer boots.

5plusn8
    Free Member

No I mean automation and remote control. I’d like to experience a bit before armageddon hits in march 19.

sadmadalan

If you want to move into 2018 you can get a Wi-Fi connected plug and an oil filled radiator.  Plug goes into your socket, then the radiator plugs into that.  Control it via Wi-Fi – assumes that you have Wi-Fi in the man-cave.  Some on the web appear to be able to connect to Alexa, so can just tell it to turn on from your bed!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Boom, 25 quid. I like it. That’s a good solution, thanks.

drnosh
    Free Member

5) Switch oil-filled radiator off 30 mins before you leave the office. (Could save 2 1/2 hours leccy per week).

6) Leave office.

IHN

25 quid.

5plusn8
    Free Member

5) Switch oil-filled radiator off 30 mins before you leave the office. (Could save 2 1/2 hours leccy per week).

TBH it will probs only be on for a couple of hrs in the morning. I am a heating avoider as a rule, in the depths of winter I have CH on for getting up and going, but when the office was in a bedroom last winter I found after 10am  it was all really toasty and no more heating needed for the day, apart from an hour at 9-10pm for a bit of warming up before bed. (we have dog now, so even that isn’t likely to be necessary this winter)
    The wife would rather not have heating on at all..
    Although we do use the fire in the lounge quite a lot. Last winter and the one before I lit the fire every morning in the kitchen before the kids came down so all the rads were just turned off in there. However I found the fire a false economy and CH is much cheaper.

PS don’t fret IHN, I found one for 15 quid and another for  fiver.
    https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iq-wifiplugmeter/electriq-iqwifiplugmeter-smart-plug?

bluebird
    Free Member

No I mean automation and remote control

Oil filled rad and a smart plug?

cheers_drive

I’ve just moved my home office to the garden room, it’s insulated but has a tiled floor and no rads.

I purchased a fancy Delonghi oil rad which has an electronic timer (no weekend setting) but the electronics stop it playing nicely with a smart plug (when power is switched back on it goes into standby unlike and manual rad).

So now I have a smart plug, the plug itself can be controlled by its own app for full timer control but I use it will a combination of IFTTT and Stringify so it switches off when I leave home or return on a workday. I had originally intended to trigger it with our Tado thermostat but the Tado does not have any triggers based on whether it is on or off.

Everything appears to work well but it’s been mild until today.

The smart plug also has an energy monitor which is handy. Oh and make sure that the smart plug can handle the power of the oil rad.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Heat my office. Electric heater experts to the forum please.’ is closed to new replies.