Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • heat loss from head
  • SiB
    Free Member

was reading a post on here earlier this week that said its a myth that your head loses most body heat and there was evidence to prove it. Can anyone point me in right direction to this evidence? It would save alot of bickering in the office!

IanMunro
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought most heat loss from the head was from breathing anyway?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are in arctic conditions and the rest of you is well insulated bar you r head then it will be different from a summers day in the UK – so the answer must be “it depends” 🙂

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks, that will do nicely!

Spongebob
    Free Member

I haven’t read up on the matter, but i would have thought the claim is exaggerated.

It would also depend on whether you had a big head or not! 😆

anonymouse
    Free Member

The reason people think that there’s lots of heat lost from the head is that it’s usually uncovered. If other body parts were uncovered they’d lose lots of heat too. It still makes sense to cover up in the cold though.

chiefgrooveguru

Also there are more nerves in your head so you notice the cold more.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Maybe its the blood supply?

Skull caps and hats in winter are great if you shave your head.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Working on the basis that heat rises, it is obvious that your head is like the attic of your body. This is where the heat comes out. The body has realised this and tried to insulate the area with a crop of hair. Clever body.

There are also more holes in your head than any other part of your body which is where quite a lot of heat manages to leak out. I find that if I gel my hair into a high air retention ‘fro, plug up my ears, nose and mouth, close my eyes and walk on my hands the problem is almost entirely mitigated.

HTH

GW
    Free Member

You lose just enough heat from your head to make it worth while not wearing a helmet IMO 😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Extremely good blood supply to the scalp, that’s why head lacerations bleed well.

I know the debunking of the research, I can recall that when it was published, but if that is the case why does putting on headgear make you feel warmer when it is cold outside?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

heat loss from head

TBH, when that’s going on I’m rarely concerned about heat loss.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the less you think the less blood in your skull therefore the less heat loss

science fact.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘heat loss from head’ is closed to new replies.