Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Heart rate strap gel?
  • ratherbeintobago

Anyone any recommendations? Usually once I’ve sweated into it, it’s fine but before that…

scotroutes

Just gob on it and wipe it around a bit.

lunge

I just run mine under a tap before putting it on.

mashr

scotroutes

Just gob on it and wipe it around a bit.

This….kinda. I just wet a finger and have a stroke, then I wet the back of the strap a little too

Mister-P
    Free Member

Good old saliva here too.

scotroutes

OP – I can send you some of my “own brand” HR Strap gel at a bargain price. . You can have the ordinary clear stuff or, for a special offer, you can have the milky white stuff.

ratherbeintobago

OP – I can send you some of my “own brand” HR Strap gel at a bargain price. . You can have the ordinary clear stuff or, for a special offer, you can have the milky white stuff.

I’ll pass, thanks.

kid.a
    Free Member

I lick mine. Urrghh I’m gross 😆

corrieyairack
    Free Member

Great tip on using salvia. I’ve always urinated on mine before putting it on and knew that there must be a better way.

submarined
    Free Member

I use that magic really runny gel that comes out of the taps.

Poopscoop

Saliva here too.

timbog160

Beef fat

Trimix
    Free Member

See, there is a whole customer base if gullible people willing to pay for stuff they dont need.

trailwagger
    Free Member

My Wahoo one has never needed “wetting”.

My old Polar one back in the 00`s did. The next one from Bryton didn’t.

Moral of the story? If you don’t want to lick your own sweaty strap then get a newer one.

ratherbeintobago

It’s always been fine before. It may just be the strap has had it (Garmin sensor using Polar strap).

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Ive been using a garmin HRM on the cheapest strap ebay can offer for a few years now. I didnt know these needed ‘wetting’ to work

trailwagger
    Free Member

It’s always been fine before. It may just be the strap has had it (Garmin sensor using Polar strap).

Have you tried putting the strap through the washing machine? Used to be a thing with polar straps as I recall.

leffeboy

It’s probably more important to clean the strap occasionally so that build up of salt doesn’t short the signal out.  Normally a wet finger does it for me…

ratherbeintobago

Have you tried putting the strap through the washing machine? Used to be a thing with polar straps as I recall.

NO, but it can’t make it worse, so I’ll give it a go.

woody2000

I lick mine

Me too! 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

I use the tears of a clown but only when there’s noone around.

Kryton57

Also a licker.   Once in a while I give a good wipe with an antibacterial wipe to remove the green mould that builds up.

butcher

My Garmin Strap started giving up the ghost after a few years and constantly needed something to keep it working. Swapped for a polar strap using the same Garmin sensor and it’s been fine since.

joshvegas
    Free Member

“darling i fancy a ride, have you seen the KY? i need to put my strap on.”

seadog101

Suunto and magellan ones were bad. Wahoo never needs wetting. I guess design is more important?

sirromj

FFS! Nobody licks their HR straps! I can only say that because I tried it a for a couple of days commutes. Eurrggghhhh. So now I only use Fillico.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for licking. Stick the fabric bit through the washing machine every 6 months or so.

avdave2

Even better get someone to lick you.

sc-xc

This….kinda. I just wet a finger and have a stroke

That’s quite a reaction

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s up with you all ! Just don’t was for 3 days and it works straight away when you put it on

tomd
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just really salty but mine works ok dry. Wahoo ticker.

With older Garmin and polar straps they seemed to need wetting first.

You can get medical conductive gel for pennies off of Ebay if you feel you would rather not lick.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Garmin straps work for a couple years regular use.

I just replace the actual straps with the cheapest one that fits the sender that I can get off eBay. They last as long.

Symptoms of a knackered strap is lots of drop out even with new battery. When the drop out gets less with significant wetting. Sporadic low or high readings on a regular basis.

A new strap quashes all those in one hit.

ratherbeintobago

Tried the spare, unused strap (which I really ought to have tried first) and lo and behold it seems to work.

For various boring reasons I’d never used the Garmin strap, only a Polar one and they are noticeably different.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Heart rate strap gel?’ is closed to new replies.