Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Heart Rate Monitor for Zone Training
  • ricko1984
    Free Member

Looking at the other thread for zone 2 training, I think I need to get on this for improving my endurance.

Only issue is I don’t have a heart rate monitor.

Ideal option would be watch with chest strap monitor.

Not really looking for one that links with a bike computer, as already have a basic non connective GPS device and not looking to get another one.

Would a fitbit watch or similar keep me in the zone so to speak?

Recommendations please

boxelder

Much easier to use when you can see HR on your bars. What’s your gps bike ‘speedo’?
    Wahoo Tickr linked to your phone?

ampthill

In my experience heart rate straps aren’t that durable. By a cheap one from Amazon.

Then you’ll need a watch to connect to. EBay is rammed with cheap watches that will do the job. I have a Suunto Ambit 3. I think that it was £65 lightly used. There must be loads of similar options.

Do buy a rubber thing so you can put the watch on your handle bars. Looking at your wrist isn’t ideal. But that reason I wouldn’t pony up for wrist based heart rate.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dander

I got a cheap magene HR strap from Amazon. It’s pretty temperamental in terms of connecting to my watch or GPS but works reliably when done so. You get what you pay for I think.

reeksy

I buy two Garmin Ant+ for about a tenner from eBay. Last ages.

scotroutes

I have a Garmin chest HRM, a Magene chest HRM and my Garmin watch which I use for running but will also transmit HR to my Garmin Edge. Mostly I use the latter. I’ve benchmarked it against my Garmin chest HRM and the readings are basically identical.

iainc

I have to keep a close eye on my HR and my preferred setup is a Garmin chest strap and an Edge on the bars. I do have a Garmin Instinct also, however the wrist HR is, for me, wholly inaccurate on the bike. It can under read by 20-30bpm regularly. My Apple Watch 7 wrist HR is a bit better that the Instinct one, but still not reliable enough for my needs. (Instinct Solar Crossover currently, previously had regular Instinct, much the same on HR accuracy)

mjsmke

You can get mounts for watches to go on handlebars. Might be worth looking into.

Regarding Fitbits; they’re good watches but I found wrist based HR unreliable while cycling. Same with a garmin watch. So, a chest strap linked to a watch would be more accurate.

DickBarton

Halfords do a reasonable chest htm, I think for about 20 quid.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.