Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Heart Rate Monitor false readings HELP!
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve been training with a HRM for a few months now.

Over the last few weeks I’ve found my HRM occasionally not working, or ‘sticking’ on particular numbers, irrespective of effort.

I checked the contacts were moist – no change. I ended up buying a new (and expensive!) HRM in frustration. This one seemed OK, then did the same thing…!

I think I’ve managed to figure out in the end that it was static from my riding tops (basically the HRM would start working again if you held the top away from your body)

Trouble is, I’m not sure how to stop this – I even bought some anti static clothes spray which doesn’t seem to work. It’s worse when I ride my road bike for some reason (flapping top in the wind?)

Anyone had this, got any thoughts on it? I wouldn’t be so stressed if it wasn’t a crucial part of my training/riding for a stage race I’m doing soon!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i had problems with my wireless computer messing around with hrm readings.

230bpm on a gentle commute!! not so sure!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Fast commute? 🙂 Not got a computer so won’t be that….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hazeii
    Free Member

Depends on the model probably, but I had something very similiar, the HRM would display bonkers/unchanging readings for a while, seemed like it might be down to static from clothes flapping.

Finally twigged it was vibration, esp. at speed (also riding under power lines also causes temp outages).

Richie_B

Dodgey batteries in tranmitter and receiver, powerlines, tractors and lorries with unsuppressed electrical systems, one street lamp next to our old house with a dodgey tranformer or whatever gubbins they have at the bottom, Using my exposure light at the same time (took a while to figure out that one), and a two year old fiddling with the reciever have all affected my hrm.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Monitor strap elastic loosing its tension over time?

vdubber67
    Free Member

hazeii – vibration and not static then? That would fit with the fact mine seems to work on the MTB, but not on the road bike?

Expat
    Free Member

you have been cloned in your sleep – you are now a Cylon?

vdubber67
    Free Member

you have been cloned in your sleep – you are now a Cylon?

I thought my eyes looked a bit red this morning… 🙂

mysterymove
    Free Member

Hey mine does that, Went out for and early moring training when visiting my parents, whne i got back my Mum asked me how was the ride, so told her about the weird heart rate readings, she replied with ‘oh that’ll be your heart murmour’ WTF! Apparently I’ve had it since I was a kid and now she tells me when im 31!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lol, doubt HRM’s are sensitive enough to pick up a murmour.

Never had problems with my basic polar (F5?) HRM. But it does give a different reading to the machines at the gym, as much as 5bpm, presumably the belt just sends out a beep every heartbeat and thyer using a different algorythm to calculate the average time between beeps?

Mine does tend to get stuck more often as the battery dies.

brassneck

Merino tops? Don’t get as sparky as all that polyester.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Interesting thought brassneck – got some base layers, but does anyone do a cycling jersey style in Merino – will have to go and look now!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Heart Rate Monitor false readings HELP!’ is closed to new replies.