Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hearing Aids
  • footflaps

My FIL is pretty deaf and has NHS hearing aids which don’t seem to work very well. Every family group situation is very strained as he can’t hear what anyone is saying so everything is discussed at least twice with lots of frustration all round as he basically hasn’t a clue what is going on.

So, what are the options? Do the NHS have better ones, are private hearing aids better, or is he just too far gone to ever be normal-ish. I realise you can’t remotely diagnose him, but has anyone found a different hearing aid makes a big difference or are the private companies just charging £ks for the same thing in a different package?

tjagain

Does he have digital hearing aids or analogue? Modern NHS hearing aids are better than they used to be but I seem to recall that only some areas or people can get the more expensive digital ones. They are better as they don’t amplify background noise IIRC.

jkomo

We do private and NHS hearing aids under the new AQP (any qualified provider) system.
    The latest NHS ones are digital and pretty good.
    How old are they?
    First thing is check they work, put new batteries in and cup them in your hand enclosing to cause a feedback loop (one by one) they should whistle.
    If not the tubes may be blocked or they may be knackered.

jkomo

Private hearing aids are massively better in every aspect. To give you an idea where MHS ones sit in comparison. We charge from £500 for basic to £3000 for the best and most modern HA’s. The NHS ones are comparable to about £1000 private ones. So unless you go mid to top range they are as good or better.

jkomo

PM me if you want it gets a bit long winded, but I would first make sure they work, then get him retested at the hospital. If they are 3 years old he can get referred again for new ones if needed.
    Private ones have more channels, so can fine tune the sound better, can be rigged up Bluetooth to phone TV etc, and will automatically change settings depending on the situation, group chat, restaurant, car etc.
    They also look better.
    Ignore the tiny ones that go right in ear canal, the RIC (receiver in canal) are the ones to get.

footflaps

They definitely work / whistle if he puts his hand near his ear. I’ll have to ask which models they are. Apparently they were from Specsavers (although NHS issued), no idea how that works.

jkomo

Hi, we also a Specsavers. So he has modern NHS ones that work. Book him in for a retest and tell the audiologist what problems he has.

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about your dad’s condition, so I can’t comment on that, but my father has quite severe hearing impairment which made day to day communication difficult and left him very isolated in social situations.
    His experience with private aids was not very positive. The suppliers he used (who apparently had a good reputation) tried a succession of different models, none of which were successful, and certainly were no better than his NHS hearing aids. Fortunately the aids were supplied on a trial basis, so he didn’t have to pay anything. The retail cost of the private aids was £4-5k from memory.
    I searched for alternatives, and came across Bose Hearphones:
    https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/wellness/conversation_enhancing_headphones/hearphones.html
    These combine noise cancelling technology with directional microphones, so they cut out a lot of the background noise that can make hearing difficult for people with hearing impairment, and amplify sound from a focussed direction.
    Bose don’t market them as hearing aids, I presume to avoid going through US medical device registration. I bought a set of these, and they have worked really well for my Dad. The first time he put them on, my Mum was amazed at how he was taking part in a conversation immediately. There is a companion phone app for tuning them, and they are Bluetooth enabled, so you can use them to take calls or with a TV Bluetooth dongle. They are much more obvious than concealed hearing aids (basically like sports earbuds, with a collar piece). I think they claim around 10 hours battery life, and they are USB rechargeable.

They won’t sell them outside the USA, so I had to go through one of those retail concierge companies who will buy on your behalf and ship to a UK address. Even with the premium on that service, they cost $600, which is a fraction of the cost of the private heading aids which just didn’t do anything for my Dad. He uses them daily now, alternating with his NHS aids sometimes.

As I said at the start, I don’t know if they would be any good for your father, because hearing impairment can vary tremendously for different people. I’d say try private aids if the NHS ones don’t work for him, but make sure it is on a trial basis, and don’t be pressured by the sales pitch if they are not effective. I’m not convinced that private aids are better for everyone.
    If nothing else works for you, the Hearphones might be worth a punt. They really transformed my Dad’s day to day life.

bamboo
    Free Member

Kcr – I’m very interested in the Bose device you linked to for a family member.

How does it work with the tv and a Bluetooth dongle if there are others watching the same program? Doesn’t the Bluetooth “steal” all the sound for the Bose device so that anybody else watching gets no sound?

kcr
    Free Member

I put the Bluetooth transmitter on the headphone output and connected a soundbar (using the optical output) for other people.

I think some newer TVs actually have a dual output setting that will allow sound output to the TV speakers and headphones at the same time.

If you only want a solution for TV watching, you don’t necessarily need to use the Bose Hearphones for the person with the hearing problem; a set of Bluetooth headphones may do the job.

sarawak
    Free Member

Hi, we also a Specsavers. So he has modern NHS ones that work. Book him in for a retest and tell the audiologist what problems he has.

I use Specsavers. I believe they are some form of joint ownership scheme, so some are better than others. Originally I had a great guy who owned whatever share of the business he was allowed. Took endless trouble and helped a great deal. Then he retired and sold up. Now I get a succession of young employees, usually girls, seemingly straight out of college. They know their stuff but in a completely theoretical way. It’s not really their fault that they haven’t got the xperience needed to deal with grumpy old sods who have seen it all and know what they want – even though we don’t!

They won’t be much different to other outlets in that some are better than others, so visit a few and see what you are told. I was once told that I had usual aged related hearing loss. On my next visit when no change was detected I was told that I had major hearing loss. Which is it? I have no idea. I can’t hear bird song outside the back door, but can hear a petrol lawnmower 300 yards away!!!

If jkomo was anywhere near I’d see him; a second opinion is always worthwile, even if he too told me that I was beyond help.

footflaps

So, he is waiting for a retest / re-tune at Specsavers (just waiting for a letter from his GP). We’ll see what they say once he has it….

Those Bose things look interesting…

He’s OK with TV etc, the main problem is group conversations where he really can’t follow what’s going on, eg restaurants, outside etc. Possibly peripheral noise, possibly too many sources / directions?

sarawak
    Free Member

He’s OK with TV etc, the main problem is group conversations where he really can’t follow what’s going on, eg restaurants, outside etc. Possibly peripheral noise, possibly too many sources / directions?

Yup. Recognise that. I’m past caring now. I just point to my ears and say pardon. My mates accept it and even take the p&ss out of me. I could go silly and spend £5/6/7 on fancy aids, but TBH I’d rather spend that money on a bike!!!

the-muffin-man

Same for me (I’m pretty much deaf in my left ear). I can’t hear a thing in busy pubs etc.

I did have a new digital hearing aid from Specsavers, but even after several trips back I found the sound to metallic/robotic/artificial so I’ve gone back to my old analogue one.

Hearing in pubs was no better with the digital one. Unfortunately it’s just something we have to live with.

kcr
    Free Member

This is a particular problem for my Dad. I think crosstalk and background noise is a common issue for hearing impairment.
    The Bose Hearphones attempt to help with this by giving you three settings which use the noise cancellation and directional mics to progressively narrow the field of amplification. You can choose to amplify everything around you, a 180 degree field ahead and to the sides, or a narrow cone directly ahead of you.

trusty

Hearing aid users do struggle with cross talk and high levels of background noise, as the aids usually amplify everything.

A simple question, and the first we ask is has he had his ears checked for wax?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hearing Aids’ is closed to new replies.