Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Heard of this- "Bubble Tea"-????
  • codybrennan
    Free Member
    mrbelowski
    Free Member

Hipster drink for ****, according to that BBC article

jairaj

Yep tried it when I went to Hong Kong a couple years back. It was OK but I prefer normal tea.

jimmy

Yeah had it in Japanese restaurant. Like it, it’s like big tapioca pudding.

Cougar

Sounds minging to me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Been available in chinatown/soho for a few years, not my cup of tea 🙄
    the hipster zeitgeist beverage of choice is cold-brew coffee (not to be confused with iced coffee), bubble tea is for the tourists.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Is it not more of a squealing adolescent girls drink than a hipster drink? Certainly seems to be around here.

CountZero

Four years ago bubble tea was relatively unknown in the UK, but the drinks are now ubiquitous on High Streets, from cities to small towns, writes Lucy Townsend.

Really? First I’ve actually heard of it, and I’m pretty certain it hasn’t become ‘ubiquitous’ on the high street of the small town, (pop 52,000), where I live.

slowoldman

Tapioca? In tea? Sounds revolting.

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey OP that is nothing new. 🙄

It got into mass media more than 10 years ago because they came up with different varieties of similar drinks but this concept is nothing new at all.

I had it since I was a kid and my parents had it since their were kids but obviously in the olden days the ingredients are natural rather than chemical.

Oh ya it is not a drink for the rich but rather a street drink or poor men/women dessert drink.

Cougar – Moderator

Sounds minging to me.

Everything sounds minging if they are not roast beef innit! 🙄

slowoldman – Member

Tapioca? In tea? Sounds revolting.

Crikey people in the far east has been drinking this for hundred of years.

Yes, topioca and yes it does not grown in London, Wales or Scotland … 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

Really? First I’ve actually heard of it, and I’m pretty certain it hasn’t become ‘ubiquitous’ on the high street of the small town, (pop 52,000), where I live.

have cup cakes and pulled pork got to you yet? or are you still on subway and greggs?

trevron73
    Free Member

I went to El bulli in Spain (think Heston but better) and one of the head chefs taught me to make spherical olives. It is where the sphere is set on out side but liquid inside ,so when i got back i made spherical Stella and then bubble beer but with lighter liquid filled bubbles – it tasted like beer with chewy flat beer bits , ha ha – still at least i know ? 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

I always called my grans tea ‘bubble tea’ because, well, it had bubbles on the surface. Presumably from pouring at height from the tea pot.

This stuff sounds disgustrous.

slowoldman

Yes, topioca and yes it does not grown in London, Wales or Scotland …

Yes I’m aware what it is and where it comes from. It was a staple pudding dish when I was at school. As revolting now as it was then. Putting it in tea isn’t going to help.

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Yes I’m aware what it is and where it comes from. It was a staple pudding dish when I was at school. As revolting now as it was then. Putting it in tea isn’t going to help.

That depends on how they are prepared. Yes, revolting if you are not used to it and yes when they are overcooked. For me I prefer the traditional ones not those fancy traditional ones.

The only reason you find this bubble tea in the west because of they have more or less exhausted the far east market. This drink is no big deal in the far east … 😀

cfinnimore
    Free Member

That’s so 2010.

olddog

New to me..

I quick google and the only obvious place in Leeds is the Wasabi chain – but I assume other places will be bandwagon jumping soon.

I would be happy to get a decent (being subjective term) cup of Indian chai tea made properly with condensed milk – hmmmm sickly sweet

bigrich

frogspawn in a cold cup of tea.

chewkw
    Free Member

olddog – Member
    I would be happy to get a decent (being subjective term) cup of Indian chai tea made properly with condensed milk – hmmmm sickly sweet

I prefer sweet Lassi drink with a hint of salt especially during a good curry meal.

bigrich – Member

frogspawn in a cold cup of tea.

Yeap, they look like frogspawn if you have the small black “bubble”. BTW I have never seen frogspawn in the UK but lots when I was in the far east.

andytherocketeer

loads of bubble tea places here in Germany.

never tried it.

frog spawn isn’t really on my list of things to try.

almightydutch
    Free Member

It sounded bad enough reading about it but the ‘cold frogspawn’ idea….urrraggghhhh!!!!

Milky, no sugar please

racefaceec90

in answer to op question,have never heard of bubble tea before?

would try it just to see what it was like though.

vickypea
    Free Member

Tapioca was the most hated pudding when I was at school. All slimy and slippery. It would be even more slippery in tea!

Cougar

Crikey people in the far east has been drinking this for hundred of years.

If by “hundreds” you mean “thirty” then yes, yes they have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Bubble tea, also known as pearl milk tea or boba milk tea, is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in Taichung, Taiwan, during the 1980s.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

none of that foreign muck up here thank ypu.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Heard of this- "Bubble Tea"-????’ is closed to new replies.