• This topic has 34 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Healthy lunch?
  • ton

tub of hummus
    tomatoes
    bit of chorizo
    lump of feta cheese
    olives
    apple

is this healthy…..a work mate say’s it isn’t. he is eating a ham and cheese roll.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends on what you eat the rest of the time?

Chorizo – plenty of nice fat in that
    Feta – salty
    Olives – in salt again?
    Whats in your humous?

banks
    Free Member

Good lunch, stick his ham & cheese roll up his arse : )

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Sausage and cheese high in fat and salt. Houmus is surprisingly high in calories. But, there’s a lot worse out there, it’s not unhealthy in the global scheme of things. You do need fat and salt in your diet. 🙂

I am on the same lines today, tuna salad no dressing, small bag of popcorn as a snack. 🙁

Ham and cheese roll is high in fat and salt, if there’s no salad in there, it’ll be low in fibre, and low in vitamins and minerals.

binners

hummous….

steve_b77
    Free Member

How big are the tubs?

granny_ring

Sounds nice Ton, I’d eat all that, maybe not the apple.
    Healthy lunch here too…..
    Rest of my birthday pork pie 😯

hooli

Probably higher in calories than you think, stick it in my fitness pal etc and see what it says.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I just spent a week in the USA, I now have a very different idea of what is unhealthy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, Tuna Nicoise salad…

Knommmmmm’idge

pondo

Chorizo – plenty of nice fat in that

Ooo, is chorizo ok? I was steering clear as I thought processed meat ws bad?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ooo, is chorizo ok? I was steering clear as I thought processed meat ws bad?

Bad in what way? What sort of rules do you want to follow. I wouldn’t eat a whole one every day but it is a great flavour ingredient though I mostly just use pimento these days.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Stick some chorizo in a dry frying pan over a high heat, give it 2 or 3 minutes and see if you think it’s healthy!! 🙂 Lots of fat.

Very good though occasionally, especially fried off with a dash of red wine added afterward, tapas style.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What are you putting it on??? Or just spooning it in?

pondo

Bad in what way? What sort of rules do you want to follow. I wouldn’t eat a whole one every day but it is a great flavour ingredient though I mostly just use pimento these days.

Just your sort of non-specific media-spun “you’re going to die if you eat that!!!” sort of thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21682779

I don’t really follow that kind of thing to the nth degree, I’m more of an “everything in moderation” kind of bloke, but I’m trying to be dieterily a bit more responsible, so have been cutting that sort of stuff out. I might return it to the list of salad flavourents. 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

grilled spicy chicken and salad sandwich for me…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Tin of canellini beans with aubergine pesto for me.

Ooo, and some brocolli for pudding.

Now that’s living!

lunge

Brown roll, homemade leek, potato and ginger soup, an apple and a banana. Tasty, healthy, dirt cheap. Everyone’s a winner.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Not healthy at all.. have you seen the amount of fat in humous? Chorizo has a lot of fat and salt in it too, feta… that’s cheese so obviously unhealthy.

If I have any of the above I consider them a treat lol

I’m not saying that you can’t eat fat, or salt etc but I think stacking those 3 up together is a bit much.

A bit of feta in a brown pitta with some tomatoes and salad would be good.

ton

I am so glad I take everything said on here, with a pinch of salt…..long live Idiet… 😆

wiggles
    Free Member

Grilled chicken breast in nandos marinade, being too lazy to add anything with it..

Stevelol
    Free Member

Ton, please, educate us if you think it’s healthy 🙂 I’m genuinely interested. Any information that says I can eat more humous, chorizo and feta will be met with great excitement and interest 😀

tonyd

I went to the canteen to get my usual semi healthy chicken salad baguette and they had huge slices of custard pie by the till.

CUSTARD PIE!

I didn’t ride in today either so had a very hard time justifying that to myself I can tell you.

Edit: ton – that’s not particularly healthy IMO either, but was no doubt delicious. Just ride an extra few miles later, you’ll be grand.

stcolin
    Free Member

A bar of dairy milk, a Muller fruit corner, and 3 jam doughnuts.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Oh hell yeah…

bearnecessities

Granny Ring’s pork pie has absolutely no perspective looking on my phone; it looks about 2ft wide!

sc-xc

In my opinion, no. That’s not a healthy lunch.

You might be losing weight with the iDave thing, but that’s not what you asked.

For a regular pot of hummus, a small bit of chorizo & feta, 5 olives and an apple – you are pushing 900kcals, 68% of your lunch is fat.

Doesn’t sound that balanced or healthy to me.

ton

sc_xc, lost weight and maintaining weight loss. also lowered my bp and cholesterol.

so would a ham and cheese butty have been better?

sc-xc

Not saying that, that’s like asking if I would rather be punched in the head or kicked in the balls.

Just stating the facts. I tried the idiot, but for me…it wasn’t sustainable (he even told me it was a short term fix for those preparing for an event or race).

I know you are an advocate of it, and it’s great that it’s working for you. In my opinion (and only my opinion…I know what nutrition threads are like on here) any lunch with that many calories and that much fat is not healthy.

sc-xc

^ I diet, not idiot. 😆

ton

sc_xc, faie enough mate.
    got to be honest, I have veered from the track a bit recently. with doing the 500 a month thing, I have been eating porridge and a bit of brown bread. felt I need a bit more fuel.

sc-xc

That’s not veering off track, that’s fuelling 😉

I still think about the principals, so I eat lots of pulses. I don’t eat meat, so they are a good source of protein.

Perhaps I should get back into it…if only for the red wine…..

Solo
    Free Member

For a regular pot of hummus, a small bit of chorizo and feta, 5 olives and an apple – you are pushing 900kcals, 68% of your lunch is fat.

As you know, there are 3 macros, Carbohydrate, Fat and Protein.
    While not wanting to get into the whys and wherefores, the advise which has prevailed during my lifetime has been to lower my fat intake in order to lower the amount of cholesterol in the blood stream.
    Lower cholesterol was supposed to reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease.

However, research from around the late 70s, early 80s lead to the conclusion that small dense LDL is the bad guy, having an active role in atherosclerosis.
    So, now the focus was on small, dense, LDL the levels of which have been demonstrated to increase when there is an increase in carbohydrate intake, NOT fat intake.

However, on a low fat diet where the fat component has been reduced and supplemented with an increase in carbohydrate. The reduced consumption of fat can lead to a reduced amount of cholesterol in the blood, which was thought to be a good thing. However, looking at overall cholesterol is a bit of a mistake, as while on a low fat diet, overall cholesterol may be reduced, its usually a reduction in HDL which has occured and which is refered to as ‘good cholesterol’.
    So, the low fat diet can reduce your HDL (good cholesterol) but leaves your LDL, including small, dense LDL at the original or even increased levels and its the small, dense, LDL which plays an active role in atherosclerosis, leading to full on Coronary Heart Disease.

Have a good weekend.
    🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I get through one chorizo a week 🙂

I eat it in my dinner* every weekday, along with (generally) 1/2 can of chickpeas, 1/3 of a red pepper, a couple of baby sweetcorn, a handful of mange tout, a slug of olive oil and a splash of balsamic. Then, as many salad leaves as I can fit in my lunch box.

Breakfast is porridge with raisins and honey. Tea* is usually two portions of something from the Hairy Dieters book. Last night was pan haggerty.

Glass of red every night. And generally some cake when I get in from work – last night was two big home-made choc chips cookies with a half inch thick layer of chocolate spread in the middle 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Lunch today was a Sainsbury’s TTD scotch egg, as I’m on the run.

But usually something meaty, I’m winding down my humous intake and this week I’ve tried Tzatziki with my lunches.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Healthy lunch?’ is closed to new replies.