Health Insurance for working abroad but remaining UK resident?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Health Insurance for working abroad but remaining UK resident?
  • Anyone on here bought this before? I’m struggling to find anyone that covers UK resident doing 28/28 rota in Mediterranean but non-EU/non-EEA country. They’re all as if I’m going to be expat/resident overseas and as such are eye-wateringly expensive.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

So, you’ll spend 50% of your time outside the UK, working in a country without a reciprocal health care agreement?

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

I do this for a living. 2 questions

1) why isn’t your employer sorting health insurance for you
    2) have you checked what the local laws are in your work location regarding health insurance. Buying offshore may not satisfy local requirements

Sounds as though you’ll be 6 months outside your home country. That qualifies you as an “expat” in the eyes of the expat health insurance industry

mashr

1) why isn’t your employer sorting health insurance for you

This

That qualifies you as an “expat” in the eyes of the expat health insurance industry

That wouldn’t be repatriation cover though would it?

sweaman2

Are you on land or physically offshore on a boat or rig etc?

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

That wouldn’t be repatriation cover though would it?

No, more from a general health care cost perspective. 50% of time outside the UK = premiums have to reflect healthcare costs in the work location

You’re not getting evacuated or repatriated if the standard of care is acceptable in your work location

It’s offshore Israel. I’m guessing healthcare in Israel is pretty good so I doubt I’d be repatriated. I’m told by the company I’m working for that the rig operator “probably covers” me, but as I’m a contractor rather than staff nobody can give me a definitive answer and I’d rather not chance it.

Also BoardinBob, if this is what you do are you able to give any recommendations?

longmover

I work 6/3 in Kazakhstan,the company provides international healthcare through AETNA, there is also an agreement with a local medical provider and we also have medivac if required. All of this is extremely expensive on a yearly basis, your employer should be provided. If you are doing contract work your day rate should reflect the extra cost for insurance.

Personally i haven’t used AETNA but some of my colleagues have and experienced no issues.

mashr

guessing healthcare in Israel is pretty good so I doubt I’d be repatriated

That’s not why you get repatriated

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Also BoardinBob, if this is what you do are you able to give any recommendations?

It’s a balance.

You will be able to, and probably be required to, buy local cover in whatever country your working in.

Buying “expat” cover is generally a top up/ peace of mind option.

The local insurance cover will cover the basics at state or lower level private doctors and providers.

The full expat plans will give unrestricted access to all private facilities, full benefit plans, better service in the event of a claim etc.

One way to bring down the price of an expat plan is to go for their “non mhd” options. Basically instead of having cover for all conditions regardless if they’re pre-existing or not, you can complete a medical questionnaire which you state all pre-existing or previous illnesses and you won’t be covered for them, but the premium saving could be up to 40%

Regarding who to look at for cover, at the top end you have Cigna and Bupa. Both expensive but the cover and service are excellent.

Lower down you should look at: Aetna, Now Health, Axa PPP, Allianz Worldwide Care, Generali, Morgan Price Healthcare.

If you’re a single healthy man, I’d look at one of the lower providers and declare any pre existing conditions

Thank you very much for the info BoardinBob

DrJ

As always, STW comes up with the goods!

BoardinBob – do you have any advice for a person living in (say) France or Spain post-Brexit (so not relying on reciprocal medical care agreements) who could return to the UK for any long term treatment, but wishes to be covered for emergency treatment such as, say, broken limbs or appendicitis, where returning to the UK is not an option?

Or is this even realistic?

trail_rat

Used both Bupa and Cigna

Ended up in same hospitals with both.

International sos clinics.

Have seen them repatriate colleagues after terminal issues with no issues for their loved ones ( over and above the loss)

Cigna cost **** loads – I was using it as an expat in West africa

Bupa I use as a UK resident who works abroad occasionally – full family cover is cheaper than Cigna was -hardly surprising as I’m.not contracted to 6+ months in africa

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.