Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Health Crisis for middle aged population.
  • nickc

8 out of every 10 people aren’t looking after themsleves

While you can wander down any high street and see folk who clearly aren’t exercising or who are eating too much….8 out of every 10! seems OTT!

bearnecessities

More BBC news daily crap. Did you take the NHS ‘test’? It’s even worse – and flawed. I started the test with the sliders right up to feeling chipper with the world and no worries (which I am) and as the test progressed, it told me that it was sorry I was feeling down and depressed, but that the 2 glasses of wine I have on a Friday and Saturday weren’t helping.

More dumbed down bollocks for a dumbed down generation. Grrr.

hillsplease

Made me think, that and filling in the ‘how much do you drink’ bit of the dentist’s form today.

Further – I need to do something about my lifestyle. It was when my Dad (self employed until retirement with a staff of 12 – worked most weekends) came out with ‘we’re worried you’re working yourself too hard,’ it comes to something.

CheesybeanZ

I hate to break it to the researchers but 40 – 60 is not middle age .

vickypea
    Free Member

The quiz is crap, but I don’t think it does any harm to remind people to think of their health a bit more. It’s a fact that type 2 diabetes and obesity are on the rise, and we are more sedentary.
    I contributed to a friend’s discussion on FB about reducing car use and got a slagging from several people for suggesting that swapping car journeys of under 2 miles (round trip) for actually using our legs might be a small start to helping with reducing traffic jams and pollution, and improving health. I was accused of various things, including being hard on unfit people, wanting to take Britain back to the 19th century, and of being totalitarian.

nickc

Just done the quiz, and because I’m not doing 2 days worth of strengthening exercise, despite the 5 hours or so of activity I do | week, it’s just told me I’m not doing enough…

no wonder, with that sort of advice, people aren’t bothering

Really? what age band would you suggest?

Jamie
    Free Member

The quiz is crap, but I don’t think it does any harm to remind people to think of their health a bit more.

+1

Just a shame they couldn’t just use less shaky foundations.

kimbers

Since moving out of London where I suppose many people are younger and fitter than average it seems that there are a lot of chunky people out there.

Myself included kids, more sedentary lifestyle , the sheer amount of food I’ve eaten in the last few days, I’m part of the problem !!!

Bike ride this afternoon !

mikey74
    Free Member

Government propaganda, released to scare people into taking better care of themselves, reducing the burden on the NHS.

OK, the statistics may not add up, but as long as it makes people think.

scotroutes

Great British Bake Off.

Stoner
    Free Member

The quiz freaked out when I put my alcohol consumption in. Judgemental moralising bastards! 😉

14 units a week barely gets me past Monday breakfast!

vickypea
    Free Member

People should want to take better care of themselves!

wallop

Sitting is the new smoking 😀

jekkyl

Stop watching daytime news and switch over to a decent movie while troughing pringles and chocs.

nickc

I barely scrape into the 14 units, and it told me off as well, Stonor! I got an amber warning, and told to have a couple of days off.

Stoner
    Free Member

When I had my 40yr MOT the other day, nurse gave me an easy ride despite my honesty on the figures. I reckon my liver would go into shock if abstained for a day…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If the BBC want the nation to stop drinking then it should stop showing programmes where drinking is seen as normal. Moralising haflwits!

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d say 8 out of 10 is about right! 🙂

nickc

If the BBC want the nation to stop drinking

it’s from Health England, not the Beeb

flap_jack
    Free Member

Anyone been watching ‘The Big Fat Fix’ or either of the Cereal Killers films ?

It may be that the choices people face when in the supermarkets is as much of the problem.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

it’s from Health England, not the Beeb

Could have sworn thatthat was a BBC web page promoting the story. Apologies.
    From their comments a reponse to someone who said they were able to manage a full life and cook well.

.. and you even manage to find the time to share your self-righteous platitudes with the world.

It must be tiring being so perfect.
    When living healthily is seen as being the bad guy, let the thick gits kill themselves, just don’t ask me to carry the coffin.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a perfect storm of a number of things. People working inactive jobs – sat behind a desk for hours on end taking up more of our days so we have less time for exercise. Schools wanting to foster a ‘non competitive environment’ for kids. Huge powerful corporations working day and night to sell us bucket loads of calorie rich processed crap instead of proper food. A ‘health’ industry confusing the crap out of everyone trying to get people on silly fad diets, one minute it’s low fat, then low carbs, then meat on ‘red days’ and veggies on ‘green days’, when all we need to do is to eat less and eat proper food. And parents are not the best either, giving kids free access to sweets and choccies. When I were a lad I wouldn’t dare go within 3 feet of the biscuit tin without permission, then it would be 2 biscuits and that was it.

Obviously alot more complex than this, but the whole structure of our lives need to change – the way we work, the way we’re educated, the whole lot.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s always somebody else’s problem.
    If you are overweight and unfit there is only one person who can change that, moaning about the reasons why you are a chubster isn’t going to help.
    Pious 6ft1 65KG with equally slim partner point of view.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

when all we need to do is to eat less and eat proper food.

I thought that quantity wasn’t an issue when the right food was eaten.
    So much conflicting advice!!! Aaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!! 😯

midlifecrashes

500 Internal Server Error

I think I’m healthier than the quiz.

lunge

That quiz is brilliant. I do 60 minutes of exercise 5 days per week(running for what it’s worth), 3 hours 1 day per week (bike ride) and have 1 day or rest, that’s not enough apparently.

3 pints and a glass of wine per week is also a cause for concern.

May I suggest that it is somewhat flawed.

TiRed

Almost no drinking, never smoking, healthy eating and 300 km/week of cycling gets me an amber because Ocado deliver my shopping. Hmmm

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can’t we fatten people up even more to solve the energy crisis? The dead fatties could be rendered down to heat skinny people’s homes. Solves the aging population problem and a future energy crisis..

jonnyboi

Stuff like this winds me right up. More “free online tools to help you” and platitudes from the head of this and the head of that. Whilst at the same time other government departments cut taxable benefits for things like gym membership or Heath checks. If only they could do something innovative or brave like roll out a programme of free gyms in public sector buildings or subsidise ways to carry bikes on public transport, or even recognise that they contribute to the problem through policy.

ninfan
    Free Member

OK, the statistics may not add up, but as long as it makes people think.

This seems to be the founding principle for much of the public health advice, alcohol being a prime example, particularly the guidelines given to pregnant women (that seems to only make women who have drunk sensibly and moderately in the past rack themselves with guilt despite no evidence that it carries any risk)

Unfortunately due to this style of brainwashing much of the good advice is just being dismissed as crying wolf by the people who might actually benefit from it

scotroutes

they contribute to the problem through policy.

Guaranteeing access to land for recreational purposes was one of the main drivers behind the Scottish Land Reform Act. It’s a shame the authorities south of the border haven’t seen fit to replicate this.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes it is.

Not surprised, people are eating crap and are far too inactive.

Scot access to land is a red herring, people don’t walk enough to shops etc and do static office jobs. This is exaggerated by increased urbanisation

badnewz
    Free Member

The woman on the radio from the organisation responsible for this report is called Penny.
    Rest my case, M’lord.

funkmasterp

Pious 6ft1 65KG with equally slim partner point of view.

You’ll be one of those ‘skinny fat’ ones then. 😉

I used to be in pretty good shape. Had a kid, took on more and more responsibility at work and have gained two stone as a result. Spending my day at a desk definitely doesn’t help.

vongassit
    Free Member

I recently found myself in an Ikea down in Glasgow. Holy jeebus , it was more like a visit to Jurassic park! Up to 3 generations of land whale roaming free & untethered. 😯

Not that we don’t have our own chubber populus where I live , but this was some next level stucko.

Something’s changing , great british bake off? HFCS? Giving up?

stewartc
    Free Member

Since moving to Asia 7 years ago I do notice this more and more when back in the UK on visits, not as bad as the States but it is noticeable, especially by my wife (typical Chinese build).
    I always remember a Japanese GF who visited me in the UK once being amazed by the size of the fizzy drinks in Sainsbury’s, she had never seen anything so large before and that was just 1.5 litre bottles, she was genuinely flabbergasted that anyone would need to buy that much pop!

fin25
    Free Member

We are cattle.
    It doesn’t matter how fat we are, as long as we keep consuming.

Klunk
    Free Member

free gym/pool on the nhs etc won’t run here, Brits don’t like to see other people getting “something for nothing” especially if they have to pay for the same, politics of envy.

shermer75
    Free Member

OED has it at 45-65 (about!) 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Health Crisis for middle aged population.’ is closed to new replies.