Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Health and Safety gone mad…?
  • TheDTs
    Free Member

The Old sign was the correct colour. The word Caution should have been warning or Danger but the new sign is incorrect. Red for prohibition not Warning.
    We quite often get asked to supply signs to “solve” a H&S issue. We prefer to make signs telling people what to do rather not to do. E.G. pedestrians this way rather than no entry.
    HSE

mattyfez

The coffee analogy isn’t a great comparison.

You could get hit in the face by a pigeon sticking your head out of the window of a train doing 50mph.

That would do you a serious injury if not kill you.

It’s not really a comparison.

mattyfez

Next we’ll have signs on food blenders saying ‘don’t put your hand into the spinning blades’.

theboatman
    Free Member

I am so relieved this thread got the young ones clip.

alanl
    Free Member

And on a similar subject, in Walsall:
    Walsall canal basin

Walsall canal basin is not used by boats much now, and the water quality is pretty good, so the weeds, especially dusk weed have flourished this year.
    4 people fell into the water last week, as apparently, some of them thought it was a grassed surface. Now there are calls for the water to be fenced off, as its dangerous!

Phil_H

Next we’ll have signs on food blenders saying ‘don’t put your hand into the spinning blades’.

From the instructions for a Magimix 5200xl food processor
    “Never insert your hands – or a utensil – in the feed tube while the disc, blade or
    juicer is moving, to prevent serious injury and avoid damaging the appliance”

Cougar

I’m guessing a Mark 3 carriage. Not shite, saved a lot of lives in crashes, but not cheap or easy to retrofit new doors.

It’d be seconds of a job to drill a stopper bolt through the door three inches under the bottom of the sliding window.

timbog160

There aren’t that many trains left with opening windows these days, and in reality there shouldn’t be any. For somebody below a certain age this type of risk is therefore probably not as obvious as it might be for somebody older. So yes there is a need for signage, and no the signage was not clear enough, and there were too many other signs. As with a lot of these types of incidents though, it requires a lot of unfortunate coincidences to come together for things to work out as they did, and in this case the final part of the puzzle was the tree which was where it shouldn’t be. She was not stupid, nor irresponsible. This is the second death in similar circumstances in recent years, the first of which was a train enthusiast, who probably would have been expected to understand the risks far better, so it clearly merits a little more attention than simply suggesting it was her own fault.

CraigW
    Free Member

It’d be seconds of a job to drill a stopper bolt through the door three inches under the bottom of the sliding window.

And how do you reach the door handle if you can’t open the window?

ScotRail are refurbishing the Mark 3 carriages, including fitting automatic sliding doors. But it is taking much longer than originally planned. Seems the carriages are not really standard, so each one needs a different sort of modifications.

timbog160

@cougar you cant just bolt the windows up as with these carriages you need to be able to lean out to open the door.

timbog160

Had forgotten Scotrail are fitting sliding doors. Still think these things should be on the scrap heap. Yes they were a big improvement in crashworthiness over what came before, but they are now what – over 40 years old? You can paint them and put new seats in, but lift the floor and see how much corrosion and patch welding there is to the bodyshell, and tell me they are still safe!

Cougar

@cougar you cant just bolt the windows up as with these carriages you need to be able to lean out to open the door.

It’s almost like conductors don’t exist, isn’t it.

TiRed

It’s cheaper to add signs than replace carriages with ones whose doors don’t need to be opened by opening a window. And of course how do you open the door? You lean out the window. So it’s an expected behaviour in some circumstances.

Systems save people from themselves, not stickers. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public. But done always blame them either.

CraigW
    Free Member

It’s almost like conductors don’t exist, isn’t it.

How long would it take the conductor to walk the entire length of the train, opening all of the doors on the way? They are often 8 or 9 coaches long.
    Would take much longer for passengers to get on and off the train, so increase dwell times in every station.

poly
    Free Member

The Old sign was the correct colour. The word Caution should have been warning or Danger but the new sign is incorrect.

No: 1. It said caution; 2. then it said not to do something. A yellow sign (triangle) is a warning about a hazard – slippery floor, high voltage, moving parts etc. It should not tell you what to do about the hazard.

A red sign (circle) is a prohibition – do not do this
    . In this case do not lean out the window when in motion. Using the word danger as the heading on the new sign is not ideal – although I can’t immediately suggest words that would be succinct and better.

Caution would be appropriate for a “mind the gap” or “automated doors” warning. The full report actually has some HSE and WHO links which have some research behind them rather than pontification by it consultants on a bike forum.

However if you read the report rather than just the press coverage you will see there are other issues identified elsewhere. Eg. GW Trains had not originally identified the risk of injury from passengers leaning out windows! The RAIB made recommendations following a previous incident in 2016 which GW did not seem to have acted on. The people responsible for acting on that had left and there was no proper mechanism to recognise that these actions were outstanding. It’s probably also worth noting the deceased had consumed a fair amount of alcohol.

It’s forseable that train passengers will be intoxicated and so safety measures need to work for all passengers.

Northwind

“not cheap or easy to retrofit new doors”

It wouldn’t need new doors- it’s no different to fitting central locking to an old car, just needs to operate the existing mechanism with a solenoid. Control the entire thing from the cabin with a Big Red Button, or have carriage buttons like most smaller trains do with a movement interlock.

TiRed

They did that NW to stop people falling out of the trains in the past. There was a time when leaning out of HSTs wasn’t the worst thing that happened to passengers, they fell out when the doors opened whilst moving.

Fixing the windows opening whilst moving is the next level up issue. New trains.

batfink
    Free Member

Hmmmmm – I tend to come down on the “personal responsibility” site of the argument. But I also think if they are running trains where it’s possible/easy to lean-out of the windows to that extent, then they have a responsibility to ensure that the associated risks are minimized – ie, branches etc are not allowed to get that close to the train.

Worth noting that she leaned out of the nearside of the train: it’s easy to imagine that ALL the risk is associated with a passing train (as these get quite close). I don’t think it’s reasonable that she should have expected a branch or other solid object to be within 1ft of a moving train on the nearside. Whoever’s job it is to maintain the tracks/trees will have a rule about how far back foliage needs to be….. and I bet it’s more that a ft.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dear God there are some utterly nasty bastards on this thread.

Someone’s died. Yes, they may have been a bit stupid. But she probably had family and loved ones who cared for her. Being stupid should not come with a death penalty if it doesn’t have to; likewise inadvertently giving birth to a stupid person shouldn’t condemn you to pain and suffering, if avoidable.

You know why there are signs on machines saying ‘Do not climb into this machine’ ? Because people climb into the **** machines. If a sign saves just one life, it’s worth putting up signs. You could look at it another way – rather than bemoaning this country for being litigious and praising others for nurturing common sense; how about praising this one for people giving a shit ?

On a residential street in Helsinki a contractor dug a hole in the street – easily 2m square, 1.5m deep and very square edged. They put a single bollard near it. Bike lights were poor in those days, I came quite close on my bike before I saw it. Presumably it’d have been my own fault for not watching where I was going? H&S is as it is in this country because we want people to be safe, we make them take precautions.

Anyway. How do you think you lot became so clever and superior? How do you know not to lean out of train windows? Because you were taught as kids, like I was. People told you, who may have read signs. you may even have read a sign. So how are signs bad again?

CraigW
    Free Member

The old doors are also a fail for disability access. All trains are supposed to be compliant by January 2020, but looks like that won’t happen, still plenty of old trains running. The train companies will need to request a derogation.

johndoh
    Free Member

but it was obviously an old train where you need to lean out the window to open the door.

To me that’s the issue – surely our rail system shouldn’t be reliant on old trains where you have to open a window to open a door and any kind of warning sticker isn’t a substitute for upgrading the trains (or even just the doors) so they meet modern safety standards.

Cougar

How long would it take the conductor to walk the entire length of the train, opening all of the doors on the way? They are often 8 or 9 coaches long.
    Would take much longer for passengers to get on and off the train, so increase dwell times in every station.

Yet if the alternative is the occasional decapitation? Price worth paying?

Do they check the doors are properly secured before the train sets off again, out of interest?

Really, as others have said, that sort of train needs retiring (or refitting). I’m amazed they still exist, I’ve not seen one like that in years. Though of course that’s easy to say when someone needs to get their hand in their pocket to do so, I can’t imagine a new fleet of rolling stock would be particularly cheap.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The mainline trains into Paddington are still that type I think? Not commuted that way since last year through and theres new trains.

Does seem an oversight not to add an internal handle and lock the window, when they added the interlocks. Or make it small enough an opening that you can only get an arm out.

zilog6128

Yet if the alternative is the occasional decapitation? Price worth paying?

joking aside, this is EXTREMELY rare! I travelled to school every day for 7 years on one of these trains (as did thousands of other kids). We stuck our heads out of the window all the time cos it was fun! No deaths AFAIK. I’d say it’s the tree in this case which is the clear danger factor, definitely a failure by Network Rail (or whoever is responsible), railway lines should obviously be kept clear & nothing should ever come anywhere near a train.

martinhutch

Even a decade ago when I last rode in the GWR fun palaces, the doors were locked remotely so there is no need to have an opening window at all. The only possible useful function is for the guard to be able to lean out after he has locked the doors and check for idiots falling under the train as it pulls away.

Cougar

joking aside, this is EXTREMELY rare! I travelled to school every day for 7 years on one of these trains (as did thousands of other kids). We stuck our heads out of the window all the time cos it was fun! No deaths AFAIK. I’d say it’s the tree in this case which is the clear danger factor, definitely a failure by Network Rail (or whoever is responsible), railway lines should obviously be kept clear & nothing should ever come anywhere near a train.

Sure. Seems to be a catalogue of failures which led to this tragic conclusion, rather than one single factor.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t imagine a new fleet of rolling stock would be particularly cheap.

GWR did it, I’ve not been on an old Intercity train in ages nor have I seen one. I think they are all retired now?

taxi25
    Free Member

. I don’t think it’s reasonable that she should have expected a branch or other solid object to be within 1ft of a moving train on the nearside. 

This is the bottom line, the signage was adequate IMHO, but if the window opens people will put their head out of it. I obviously naively thought trees ect were cut back at least 3/4ft, possibly more and kept that way. And yes I used to stick my head out of train windows, kids almost always did. Tunnel chicken was quite popular, it doesn’t take much imagination to guess the rules.

funkmasterp

I never knew the history of CAUTION HOT. Great to stumble across a thread and actually learn something. The lady was bloody lucky it wasn’t a hot apple pie though. That would’ve resulted in her bones being melted.

CraigW
    Free Member

GWR are still using the HSTs for some routes further west, ie Cardiff and Penzance. They are supposed to be getting new doors fitted, not sure how that is progressing.
    And many of the old GWR trains are going to other companies, mostly ScotRail. So they could be around for a while yet.

Weasel
    Free Member

Some of the South eastern networker trains have stickers on the outside at the end of the carriage saying not to ride here. Think a few years ago kids were clinging on and riding the outside of train, same with buses.

If you’re stupid enough to do this, then so be it, no need for ar5e covering H&S signage.

stumpyjon

The trouble with all the signage is the important ones gets lost amongst the others. So in the example i quoted of dont climb into the machine, that notice and many others obscured the ones warning people with pace makers to keep clear which was important and not something people would know without signage. Not climbing into the machine Given the amount of training people had and the supervision on hand it would have been unthinkable. Molgrips your example of an open hole is completely irrelevant, of course it should have had signage and barriers, it wasn’t reasonable to expect you to look for, not sticking your head out of a train at 70mph is a reasonable expectation. There’s a lot of track infrastructure really close to the trains.

muddyground
    Free Member

We were in Iceland on bikes. Riding around on trails, asked a local where the top of the live volcano was….. “oh you are standing on it.”

No signs, nothing. The guy explained that if you are foolish enough to stand on a live volcano, and you know it is live, then why should we stop you?

nealglover
    Free Member

The guy explained that if you are foolish enough to stand on a live volcano, and you know it is live, then why should we stop you?

While that sounds like a utopia for all the people that moan about Health and Safety “gone mad”

What it really means is

if you are unfortunate enough to unintentionally stand on a live volcano, in an area you are unfamiliar with, then why should we warn you?

Not the best attitude really is it.

crazy-legs

The old doors are also a fail for disability access. All trains are supposed to be compliant by January 2020, but looks like that won’t happen, still plenty of old trains running. The train companies will need to request a derogation.

Which is only part of the problem since many stations remain partially or completely inaccessible for disabled people. No good having a fully accessible and compliant train if the person can’t actually get on or off the platform…

squirrelking
    Free Member

GWR did it, I’ve not been on an old Intercity train in ages nor have I seen one. I think they are all retired now?

As said they went to Scotrail who don’t actually own them but can (and are in the process of) modify and refurbish as they see fit. Rolling stock is owned by someone else, the rail industry is as bad as shipping with charters, owners, holdings etc.

pondo

Do we think a different sign would have made a difference?

stumpyjon

Pondo, nope.

andrewreay

Pondo, nope from me too.

project
    Free Member

Its down to liability for failure of the person using the door in the correct manner.

There have been numerous incidents of apsengers being injured or killed while leaning out of train windows or even falling from them.

Quite a few years ago a chap was filming a steam train entering the Conway tubular bridge from a coach window, he failed to pull his head in time and was sadly killed, then another chap exited the train in New Street tunnel, Birmingham,and was killed then a few years ago a rail technician accessed the guards door and stuck his head out and was also killed, and many more killed or seriously injured.

Mk 2 and 3 stock has drop light opening windows to access the door handle on the ouside, along with solenoid bolts fitted inside under the control of the train manager/guard, who release them at a station, retro fitting of plug type doors has been done on various mk 2 and 3 stock, to enable doors to be closed by the guard and proved locked before the train can move, yellow indicator lights on coach sides lit.

Also in the days of BR, window bars where fitted to a lot of commuter stock as there was a close pass risk, when passing lineside structures.

Nowadays all new stock has sliding or bi-folding or plug doors, all under the control of the guard/train manager or the driver, who releases the open close buttons for passenger use, and the doors can all be closed and locked at departure.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Health and Safety gone mad…?’ is closed to new replies.