Health and safety gone mad .

Home Forum Chat Forum Health and safety gone mad .

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Health and safety gone mad .
  • flip

Craven face is my hero leave him alone.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Water was deep enough for him to drown should he slip, bang his head and become unconscious. This scenario has probably prompted the use of the life jacket I would imagine.
    Wiser after the event/hindsight etc… 💡
    http://www.drowningpreventionweek.org.uk/about-the-campaign/about-rlss-uk/

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I liked the foraging article.

“If everyone started doing it then countryside would suffer”

Let’s not panic yet then.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Surely he was in greater need of a crash helmet.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

No the risks of rotational forces is too great.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Assume someone in his position did have an accident and drowned, what would the outcome be for his employer?

ernie_lynch

I didn’t see this week’s Country File but I do know that the countryside is full of hidden dangers :

Kuco

Never watched it but if it was a person from the Environment Agency? then they always put life jackets on while on tv no matter how deep it is.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Looks like a sign left over from a race.

chewkw

zippykona – Member

Did anyone see that guy up to his ankles on Country file with the life jacket?
    Craven really took his life in his hands sitting on the side of that stream.

They could be going down stream later on where it could be deeper? No?

As for the Signal crayfish …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmgTexZsxU[/video]

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

Get them all reported….mythbusters are great at picking up silly HSE stuff.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Did anyone see that guy up to his ankles on Country file with the life jacket?
    Craven really took his life in his hands sitting on the side of that stream.

csb

Bizzarre happening at 4:24 in that video

antigee

Bizzarre happening at 4:24 in that video

tick

now that looks light a lot of fun but may well need a risk assessment

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

matt_outandabout – Member
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

Get them all reported….mythbusters are great at picking up silly HSE stuff.

What a great site, if only the Daily Mail didn’t have it blocked

zokes

Water was deep enough for him to drown should he slip, bang his head and become unconscious. This scenario has probably prompted the use of the life jacket I would imagine.

You could drown in an inch of water. I guess you spend a lot of time in doors, and away from sinks, when it’s raining?

robdob

I work for the EA and the rule is that a life jacket is worn whenever you are working on or around water. The (very nice) ones we are supplied with are designed to keep you upright if you are knocked out while in the water.
    In reality everyone wears them in such situations as we all recognise how important they could be. You are held responsible for using your PPE when you think it is necessary – when you are working IN water it’s always worn. However If I am walking next to a tiny stream just checking it out I might not wear my life jacket as I can justify it’s not necessary, which would be fine.

In a TV interview all EA PPE is normally worn anyway I’ve noticed. It’s probably done to show good water safety practices. To be honest if the interviewed person does that sort of job all the time it’ll be put on automatically every morning they are in the field. You barely know you’re wearing them anyway, they are really nicely fitted and comfortable.

shifter

Sensible answer trumps thread title.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

As a rule, if someone says something’s “because of health and safety” it almost never is, it’s either a) a convenient excuse or b) just bollocks.

My brother does a lot of working at moderate heights, he used to moan about fall arrest etc til a colleague says “don’t gear for the height you expect to work at, gear for the height you’ll clamber up to on the spur of the moment”. Same sort of thing with water.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

You could take it a step further and say John Craven should have worn a life jacket.
    The guy in the water could have worn a rescue harness/rope.
    A rescue plan should/would have been in place and all people trained in said rescue procedures 😉

robdob

John Craven may well have been offered one to wear. It would have been up to him or the BBC as to whether he wore one or not.
    Normally I would assume that if anyone is working for the EA then they would be required to use (and may be provided with) the same level of PPE as the EA use and expected to follow their recommendations and instructions for its use. In this case the BBC would not be doing this so they would follow their own H&S guidelines/rules.

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Well like some hear I saw the interview. JC commented on the jacket, and the EA chap said JC didn’t need one as JC wasn’t going near the water. Seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

Kuco

I work for the EA and I never wear mine unless its above knee deep unless i’m alone then its different and always wear them while on a boat. They are also not guaranteed to right you up the right way when it does goes off.
    When doing a water safety refresher at Nottingham white water centre mine never went off till I was nearly the other side of the river.

One of mine is the body warmer style and it is nice to wear when the weather gets a bit colder like doing speed boat refresher in the middle of January across the middle of Rutland water 😕

robbieh

I liked the foraging article.

“If everyone started doing it then countryside would suffer”

Let’s not panic yet then.
    . If they did’nt keep showing bits about foraging on various program’s, maybe less people would try it! Not to mention the countryside that gets demolished to build on.

zokes

As a rule, if someone says something’s “because of health and safety” it almost never is, it’s either a) a convenient excuse or b) just bollocks.

This

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Health and safety gone mad .’ is closed to new replies.