Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Headshok – would 700 x 35c fit?
  • kazafaza
    Free Member

I’ve an idea for a commuter bike based on my old Cannondale frame with Headshok. I’ve got rid of all the 26″ hoops and was wondering if the 700 x 35c would clear? There was a Headshoked BadBoy with 700 x 28c(?) tyres a few years ago…

I know that the valve cap sticks out a bit, I’m happy to take that off – been riding without one for long and the fork doesn’t seem to be affected.

So, has anyone tried that combination and could confirm if that would work or shall I keep on looking for other options?

Cheers,
    T

onandon
    Free Member

Nope. It won’t fit. Attempted it myself so know for sure.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply! Such a nice plan went to bin…

onandon
    Free Member

It depends what you want to do. I ran one – did you see that on here ? A 26 with a 2.0 kojack is bloody fast and only a tad smaller than 700/35 ( if you decide to buy some wheels)
    A 700 will go in with 25 tyre but I guess you’re looking for something bigger volume?

Now with pic to entice you to go and build it

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve gone the other way – converted a 700c Alfine Badboy to 26″ SS. The previous owner couldn’t go bigger than 28mm tyres because of that valve, but he did have a 35 on the back.
    The frames aren’t all the same so maybe the forks aren’t. I don’t want to start a scrap with on and on but the best thing to do would be find someone with a 700/35 and try it. Especially if you’re happy to remove the valve.

onandon
    Free Member

The valve is recessed so won’t be in the way. I have know all the versions but I’m pretty sure they are the same a/c measurement.

shifter
    Free Member

Mine sticks out a bit like Kazafaza’s. I’d say 5mm with the cap off.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Many thanks guys!

On and on – that’s almost(bar the wheels) exactly what I was planning to do – drop bars, 1x whatever!

I’d love to try my Headshok with 700s but it’s at my parents’ house – not sure if I’m ready to buy 26″ hoops and take the 700s as well just to get back with one pair…

wiggles
    Free Member

How about 650b with some of the newer gravel tyres? You can get 650b G-ones and knards in 650b x41c

onandon
    Free Member

It works exceptionally well. The tyres were 26/ 1.75s so a decent 2.1 would give some more girth.
    It was a no slower than my XC bike with 650s or 700/35s

fatmax

Ooooooohh…nice idea!
    I sold my 2003 F1000SL to my bro years back and I know he doesn’t ride it any more. Like this one here – http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=244736 – Team SoBe colours?
    Time I bought it back from him and turned it into a Franken-bike I reckon. What’s the largest 700 tyres that would fit in it?
    Cheers
    F

Dickyboy

As above 700×28’s will definitely fit but just tried 700×38’s & even with valve cap removed recon you’d need another 5mm to clear & valve head is still the first point of contact even with cap removed. 2007 ultra dlr80 if it makes any difference, sticking with 26″ here & gonna try on & on’s drop bar frankenbike route sometime soon

kazafaza
    Free Member

Sooo…it fits. Well, kind of. Tyre at 65psi, haven’t ridden it so not sure if it would rub. Should’ve topped it to 90psi 👿

https://goo.gl/photos/EkGyqHLBstaPM8iKA

https://goo.gl/photos/9kvwhvGiZCBZm7Kj6

Andy’s F700 01′, front wheel off 2016 CdF 20

onandon
    Free Member

Interesting. I used a schwalbe g-one. They must size a little bigger as mine rubbed the arch.

Anyway. Enjoy

Dickyboy

Hmm interesting, think the valve on my forks sticks out a bit more than yours though, still planning the conversion to drops, just picked up some shifters and brake callipers and need to decide on type of bars to use

tomhoward

Is the wheel in the dropouts ok? Looks to be off to the right as I look at it?

kazafaza
    Free Member

The wheel was definitelly fully inserted into the droppouts, it does look though as if the wheel is not 100% dished..:

https://goo.gl/photos/qeZZZgb1xihKzxgG6

@Dickyboy: I’ve found Genetic Digest to be the perfect drops for offroad use, and they’re great value too!

mangoridebike

[/url](PixUp) by Chris_Read_3, on Flickr[/img]

This was with 700×32 tyres, but I’m pretty sure I had 700×42 on there at some point. definitely feasible, and fun. not sure why I sold it really

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Headshok – would 700 x 35c fit?’ is closed to new replies.