Headset wont tighten after changing stem

Home Forum Bike Forum Headset wont tighten after changing stem

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Headset wont tighten after changing stem
  • Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

You are tightening up the stem cap before the stem?

yes you will need a 4 or 5mm spacer to give you space to take up the slack.

agh100

yes i am tightening up the stem cap first, i haven’t tightened the stem bolts. but even when the top cap is tight the handlebars and spacers underneath still spin freely, the top cap is meant to pull everything tightly together isnt it?

I already have a 5mm spacer, wont I need a 2mm to take up the slack? or swap for 5mm for 7mm (if they exist)?

thanks

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Just fit 2x5mm. It’ll be fine

b r

It doesn’t need to be an exact 2mm, just more than 2mm.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

And fit one above the stem if your worried about having enough steerer to clamp on.

tymbian

take off the top-cap and see how far your fork-steerer is from the top of the stem. my guess is that yoiur new stem is fractionally lower/ smaller than the old one. hence the top-cap is tightening on the fork before it clamps the stem.

agh100

doh, yes fitted another 5mm and its fine.
    shouldnt do these things late at night!

cheers

agh100

So, I changed my stem for a new one and now when I do up the pre-load the spacers still spin around freely and the bars/ fork still rotate freely of each other.
    I have now found out my old stem was 40mm stack height and my new one is 38mm, so is this the problem.

I have 5, 10, 15 and 20mm spacers, will I need a 2mm one to make it work with this stem? Or am I missing something here?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Headset wont tighten after changing stem’ is closed to new replies.