Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • headset to run straight steerer in tapered frame?
  • alpin
    Free Member

want to swap the fork on a bike.. current fork in frame is tapered. new fork has u-turn, but straight steerer.

are there any headsets available to allow me to use the stright steerer fork in the frame? angleset would be a bonus….

cheers!

nuke

Simplest method I’ve found is get a Hope HS136…doesn’t matter if your existing headset isn’t Hope and allows you to use existing headset/crown race.

Bonus tip is I took a Dremmel to my HS136 and cut across it to make a split version which makes fitting/removing far easier…used it for years now with no issues

alpin
    Free Member

does that crown fit a FSA headset?

oldfart

Hope Matchmaker .

nuke

does that crown fit a FSA headset?

Yes, it fits any make of headset…all its doing is filling the gap between 1.5 and 1 1/8, just put your existing 1.5″ crown race on the hs136 and fit the hs136 to your straight steerer forks

alpin
    Free Member

aha… cheers! should do the job…. but what about changing the angle? would like to slacken the head angle if poss….

alpin
    Free Member

should say new fork has 150mm, the current one 130mm….

nuke

Well fitting 150 forks will slacken it by around 1 degree! 😀

Few more details needed regarding existing headset (integrated, etc) but certainly slackset could be used depending how deep your pockets are eg for tapered headtube with straight steerer Works do this..

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree-ec44—zs56—1-18-fork-only-79-p.asp

alpin
    Free Member

OK.

Guess the ring solution may be the more sensible solution… Thanks, nuke….

andyl
    Free Member

what is the current headset standard?

Works make a huge range of angle changing headsets (as mentioned above) and superstar have a cheaper but less comprehensive range of 2 degree ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘headset to run straight steerer in tapered frame?’ is closed to new replies.