Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Headset thoughts – short forking
  • BearBack
    Free Member

New project, mini DH bike.. lightly used 2017 Glory Advanced frame on the way earmarked for a 180mm 36 single crown build.
    Possibly short shocking it too from 9.5×3.0 coil to a well priced 230×70 vivid air shock but that’s still just a thought that needs more consideration with BB height as 1/2″ off the i2i is potentially significant.

Anyway, I’d like to make up a little of the 11-17mm lost A2C height from a boxxer/40 and it looks like 10mm is easy with the Reversecomponents bottom race spacer. More polished would be a wolftooth lower cup extender or a Niner slacker puck. +10mm/+15mm respectively sp presumably 0.5/0.75deg slacker.

I figured as I’d put a new headset in so that got me thinking that if I used an EC56 headset, I’d be adding 10ish mm compared to a zs56 lower cup anyway.
    Perhaps a canecreek angleset gives the most flexibility though

Then what about a reach adjust headset?. Works do the EC44/EC56 that gives +/- 5mm reach, but they don’t reference any head angle changes it brings.
    If a 10mm spacer is good for a 0.5deg adjustment, then why wouldn’t works say that their reach adjust headset also gives ~0.5deg ?

I always overthink things.. but I’m not missing something with an EC56 slackening the fork compared to ZS56 am I?

chakaping
    Free Member

Then what about a reach adjust headset?. Works do the EC44/EC56 that gives +/- 5mm reach, but they don’t reference any head angle changes it brings.

I was going to suggest an EC lower headset, and why not get a bit of extra reach at the same time if that would suit you.

Works are very responsive to tech queries, but could you not just add the depth of the lower cup on to the fork travel (or A2C) for the purposes of your calcs?

Also, I’m assuming you already have a 650b fork for the project, but if not, it would seem the perfect opportunity to add a single crown 29er fork and have a trendy mullet shred sled?

kayla1
    Free Member

mullet shred sled™

That’s rad. Can someone put that in the glossary with gnarpoon and mincetank please?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, I’ve been trying for some time to get “short-travel shred sled” into the MTB zeitgeist.

BearBack
    Free Member

Already have the fork but yes, a 180mm 29 fork would be great..that’ll be the next build when the rider is taller.

kelvin

a canecreek angleset

Don’t do it! Complicated expensive and noisy. Get cups from Works instead (but be ready to buy better sealed bearings).

kelvin

Oh, I have spare unused 180mm air spring assembly for a 36… I think… if you need to convert a shorter travel fork.

BearBack
    Free Member

its a 2016 RC2 so the NA2 airshafts wont work. Its 170mm in the box but IIRC I can change the NA shaft to 180 internally.
    Thanks for the cane creek feedback. Back in the day we had some FSA anglesets that used the spherical bearings.. constant noise.

BearBack
    Free Member

I was just going to order a superstar stretchset as Works are OOS, but then shipping was 300quid so perhaps not..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.