Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • headset reducer vs axle converter (rigid fork content)
  • sirromj

I’m trying to find some budget rigid forks for 650b with 100x15mm thru axle & tapered steerer (and PM disc). Not found any yet. The best I have found without breaking the bank is a choice between straight steerer with 100×15 – or – tapered steerer with oldschool QR.

Which would be the best choice: a headset reducer or an axle converter?

Northwind

Reducer.

andyl
    Free Member

Hope reducer on the straight steerer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    schmiken

Headset reducer.

sirromj

Cheers. Looks fairly unanimous then.

akak
    Free Member

Take a look at the nukeproof reducer crown race. Lower bearing shapes are quite generic and this worked for me and is cheap.

poah
    Free Member

what ever is cheapest

sirromj

I went with the Nukeproof reducer initially, along with a Nukeproof headset. The Nukeproof reducer has a split in it to aid easy fitting (I assume) but the Exotic forks have a slightly more pronounced wedge at the bottom of the steerer tube than others, so the reducer was pushed apart so much the bearings were more in balance upon it than seated.

So I ordered the Hope reducer as it is far more substantial and doesn’t have a split in it. It really needs a solid base to support the forks, especially to get the reducer seated past the last millimetre.

andyl
    Free Member

Told ya to get the Hope.

You probably could have got away with putting a slit in the hope one, I think a few people have done so to aid getting it off again in future but then it might have done the same.

sirromj

My Dad suggested I should have put the reducer in the oven until it was hot, and thought it may have just slid on with very little force that way. Not sure if that’s a good idea or not, but will definitely be tempted if I have to do this again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘headset reducer vs axle converter (rigid fork content)’ is closed to new replies.