Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Headset press for 1&1/8 and 1&1/5?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s a reasonably priced headset press which will work for top and bottom of a tapered headtube?

Thanks

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yep:

+

wrecker
    Free Member

My previous technique…
    It raises eyebrows when doing it to friends’ bikes though.

d45yth
    Free Member

Threaded bar, a few nuts, washers plus a couple of skateboard wheels.

mos

And if you’re an engineering perfectionist like me, you could even add a thrust bearing.

robj20
    Free Member

I used to hate the idea, but i now just use a hammer and lump of wood on my Nomad.

zilog6128

Not really “reasonably priced” but I bought the Park headset press. There weren’t many other options when I was looking for doing all headset sizes so I thought, why not. It’s one of the better made Park tools and will last forever. Plus I have two bikes with bb30 so will probably get more use out of it than most!

Toasty

I’ve got a cheap one, no idea where from, looks very much like:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/

The bits on the end fit lots of standard headset sizes. I’m sure the hammer technique works almost all the time, can’t see why you’d ever want even the slightest risk of writing off a frame to save £35 though personally.

granny_ring

Does that one do 1.5″ headsets toasty?

euain

This is the only place I could find for a 1.5″ one: Linky

It doesn’t do 1.125″ though – so I had to combine with spacers from my old one to handle the tapered headset. If you’re somewhere near Aberdeen, you’re welcome to borrow it.

granny_ring

Really winds me up why Cyclus dont supply the different sized adapters with the press.

euain

True.. but it was (is) my first venture into carbon fibre so didn’t want to risk anything going in squint! There are some US sellers on eBay that seem to do the adapters but they were all posting from the US and I was too impatient.

johnellison
    Free Member

Threaded bar, a few nuts, washers plus a couple of skateboard wheels.

^^ This

wrecker
    Free Member

Does that one do 1.5″ headsets toasty?

I read that it doesn’t without some bodging. Considering the popularity of tapered steerers, it wouldn’t be a lot of hassle to sell a tool with two different presses would it? I’m ****ed if I’m buying two tools for the same job.

zilog6128

The park tool works with all headset sizes, which is one of the reasons I got it, as I’d rather have one decent tool than have to buy several cheaper ones.

wrecker
    Free Member

IT’S £120!!!!!
    I’m sure it’s worth it to people who do it all the time, but I maybe do one or two a year.
    I don’t mind paying the LBS to do it but it’s a PITA when it’s night time, I need it done and there’s a waiting list until tuesday.

zilog6128

IT’S £120!!!!!

True, but like I said it’ll last forever, fits all headsets and will allow you to do the job whenever you like. It’s not exactly great value, but I’ve certainly wasted more on less useful things in the past! 😀
    I look on it as an investment. Used ones still fetch a decent price on eBay!

granny_ring

Slightly cheaper than the park….looks like it might cover all bases?

linky

househusband

I’ve got the Cyclus one and did have to be a bit ‘Heath Robinson’ recently when using it to press in some 1.5″ bearings, even with some adapters a mate made a few years ago.

Park Tool do make some step up bushing adaptors – there’s a chance they may work with other makes too. I did start looking to see if CRC sell them but that’s another story…

nickdavies

I’ve got the cheaper park press at about £60 but its not great. Presses cups but as the 2 levers are straight it fouls on top and bottom tube unless you space the levers which makes it faffier.

Puts em in though, and does all sizes inc tapered headsets.

Edit: linky… http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/tools/tools-workshop/park-home-mechanic-head-cup-press.html

clubby

I made an adaptor out of a spare shelf from an ikea cd rack. Used a hole cutter drill bit to cut a hole the size of one of the steps on the press. Works perfectly.

baldman
    Free Member

I’ve just added some very big washers to my old cyclus one and it now works for 11/5th.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Headset press for 1&1/8 and 1&1/5?’ is closed to new replies.