Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Headset Idiocy – Advice Sought…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Fresh from taking apart GF’s headset to fit new FSA UF Orbit headset (1& one eighth”).

Got as far as fitting the new fork crown race (I think!) and then trying to fit the cups. Unfortunately, the cups are far too small. Doh!

Of course, at this point, I look at the whole assembly with a fresh pair of eyes, and wondered what I had been thinking of. No matter, I just wondered if the next standard size up is 1.5″? And do I need to spend £100+ on a Chris King headset in order to run a 1&one eighth fork?

Can you tell I’m a little confused?

johnners
    Free Member

The frame must be running a reducer already if the forks are 1.125″. You got a standard size race onto them didn’t you?

jackthedog
    Free Member

It might be an internal headset, not a 1.5?

user-removed
    Free Member

Fork deffo not running any kind of reducer or shim – the cups are just very big! But yes, the standard crown race fit perfectly.

jackthedog – Member
    It might be an internal headset, not a 1.5?

Not sure I’d know one if I saw it TBH. So far as I can tell, it looks the same as those on my bikes. The cups are identical top and bottom – all sealed units.

If it’s any help, it’s this year’s Carrera Kraken (sorry for Halfrauds content and all that!).

jackthedog
    Free Member

Hard to tell from the images available online, but it looks like and internal headset on the Kraken to me – see link:

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/bikes/1594.jpg

EDIT: On the Halfords website you can zoom in on the bike image and it deffo looks internal to me.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273391_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

tinsy
    Free Member

If its a Carrera its an intergrated headset, I just had exactly the same trouble last night..

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-have-got-a-massive-hole

uplink
    Free Member

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – looks like that – big, fat, oversize lump. I take it that’s pretty limiting if I want to replace it then? Nowt wrong with it really, just wanted to put something decent up front.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Tinsy – Integrated or internal?

user-removed
    Free Member

Just back from Wiki 🙂 and it looks like it’s ‘semi-integrated’ or internal (same thing apparently).

Tinsy – did you manage to get a headset sorted?

tinsy
    Free Member

Integrated I believe but I am no expert just about 5 hours ahead of our friend here, I bought this headset this morning, with luck it will arrive tomorrow AM and I will know for sure.

From the image I sent you can see it measures up the 45mm this headset says it is… (the image I know doesnt show it bang on 45mm, but it is, it was hard to hold it all and take the pic)

It says semi integrated on the halfords site..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6183

user-removed
    Free Member

Tinsy – tip-top, cheers – that looks like the very fellow. Why am I typing in the manner of the Great Gatsby? Nae clue.

Anyhoo, thanks to all for tips and advice – much appreciated.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I don’t want to keep causing confusion here, but that headset you linked to on Chain Reaction looks very much like an integrated headset, while it looks like (from your picture and the info available) the bike needs a semi-integrated design.

Semi-integrated and internal are the same thing – integrated isn’t.

Integrated headsets, like the one linked above, have the bearings sat directly against the frame, with no cups pressed into the headtube.

From the chain reaction page:

• TH Brand 36/45 degree micro angular contact bearings (blue seal) fit directly into a 45mm OD headtube

Semi integrated/internal headsets use cups like a traditional headset, but they sit flush in the headtube to give a low stack height.

Headsets are a right ballache. I think there are approximately one million combination of standards.

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm – now I’m not as sure as I was…. Yes, there are in fact no cups as such – there are just two identical races which IIRC, do indeed run directly onto the frame.

They do however, look exactly like the ones linked to.

If that wasn’t enough, I just noticed that the plastic bits of my ’91 Hahanna headset are all cracked – I probably did it myself when re-greasing the bearings last month (and if that wasn’t enough, there’s still loads of play, so it all needs to come out and have new bearings fitted….).

tinsy
    Free Member

Stick the GF’s bike back together as you said it didnt have anything wrong anyhow, pop your new but not right headset on your bike and I will re post over the weekend if the FSA intergrated thing I bought is right or not… that way you dont have to go through my pain…

user-removed
    Free Member

Good man tinsy – bike now back in one piece – I shall await with baited breath!

Good news is that I just managed to get a Strong-Lite, 1″ threaded headset for the Kona on ebay for £14 posted. Result!

Anyone want to buy a 1&1,8th FSA headset in red?

tinsy
    Free Member

ha ha, yeah I would have loved to, but it wont fit!!!!

Bought a brand new carrera frame for £41 thought it would make a nice bike for the wife, currently its cost me about the same price as going to Halfords for a bike with a similar spec….. Bloody good bikes for the money in hindsight.

Oh well, will post when I can about the headset…

Anyone want a lightly used 1 1/8th Cane Creek in black too?

tinsy
    Free Member

Well, jackthedog was bang on, its exactly as your googling said a semi integrated, the one I bought didnt fit…

user-removed
    Free Member

Ah! Nightmare 🙁 I guess Halfords is the way forwards…..

Hope you manage to get one sourced – I suspect I’ll be heading there myself at some point – perhaps Carreras are limited to Halford’s own headsets (shudders..).

tinsy
    Free Member

I think there are choices, I bought whatever my local bike shop had though as was desperate to build the bike up..
    check the bike build out on the “Can you build a bike for less than off the peg” thread.

jackthedog
    Free Member

[miffed chunter]

Blinking bike manufacturers all conforming to different fitment standards… 🙁

[/miffed chunter]

Northwind

Incidentally, it tells you you need a semi-integrated headset on the halfords website 😉

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope do a Semi integrated headset to fit those Halfords frames, Scott bikes also use that system pretty much through the range.

DakarRider
    Free Member

All Bikehuts will stock a headset for the Carreras. It is an FSA internal with sealed cartridge bearings and about £25 IIRC.

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    user-removed
    Free Member

My Boardman MB Pro has one of those FSA jobs linked to above – looks different to the one in Mrs. Removed’s Carrera though. Could be wrong…

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Am using one of the Hope semi’s in my Pace, and no probs in two years, great bit of kit.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Headset Idiocy – Advice Sought…’ is closed to new replies.