Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • headset for asr-5?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

hey folks. need to purchase a headset for my yeti. ive had experience of cane creek on my last bike and wasn’t overly impressed by how long it didn’t last! I was thinking about hope this time.. can anyone point me in the right direction for which one i would need?

andyl
    Free Member

edit: scrap that.

Hope will sell all the bits you need and that’s what I would buy. If it has a tapered head tube they sell a crown race reducer so you use the 1.5″ crown race.

Otherwise Chris King or plenty of others from FSA, superstar etc.

You could use the Cane Creek headset finder tool to get the exact fitment references.

andyl
    Free Member

not sure if this is the same frame but this:

looks like a conventional top cup (1 1/8th) and an external cup 1.5″ lower along with some sort of reducer.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Yip thats the one in the pic..

eulach

Top cup 33.9, bottom cup 49.7
    Hope do a low stack option on the bottom cup – order the normal version if you want .5 of a degree more head angle.
    Works Components and Dartmoor (flash) also sell compatible headsets.

homer

Chris king every time for me. Expensive but 10 years plus out of mine with just the odd squirt of lube. Stil flawless smooth, now on the 3rd frame.

eulach

49.57 Firstpostfail

Kryton57

Op I have the same cane creek. I bought superstar bearings to replace the cc ones – £7 at the time. They’ve been in there for a year now, no issues. The sell a set for tapered headtubes.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Would this be the one I’d need if I went for superstar?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=424

Kryton57

Sorry I misread your post – I thought you had cane creek cups in your frame, and I was suggesting cartridge bearing replacement.

If I was going new headset I’d go upmarket for that level of frame, but your budget will dictate…..

andyl
    Free Member

Nope. The top cup is a ‘normal’ headset by the looks of it. Very odd set up tbh. Not sure why the did it.

I think you will have to buy individual cups.

Kryton57

Andy – no it’s a standards tapered headtube?

andyl
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Andy – no it’s a standards tapered headtube?

eh?

normal tapered headsets have a 44mm top cup – eg look at the SS ones.

That picture above and the Works website suggest a conventional external bearing 1 1/8th steerer top cup (34mm) and an external bearing 1.5″ steerer bottom cup.

Never seen a headset available like that. They normally have 44mm low stack top cups with those bottom cups.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Tapered steerer, definately going to go with hope.. just not sure about internal or external etc. Would probably just let Lbs sort it out but they’ll probably rape me price wise..:(

bigjim

I have Hope on mine, my LBS sorted the cups for me as the Yeti is a bit odd in the sizing department. Hope isn’t cheap but it is really well made and sealed compared to cheaper ones I’ve owned in the past.

I’ll see if I have a record of the cups in my email but it was a bit unusual.

bigjim

Hmm not got any note of it. Basically I used to have 1 /18th steerer and used one of the internal cups which spaces down to that size, then I got tapered forks and had to change to an externally type cup as the internal 1.5 cup doesn’t fit they yeti. I can’t remember the letter for the cups though.

turbo1397
    Free Member

kl.. thanks for input folks. just going to leave it in the hands of the lbs.. not going to scrimp on a headset after spending that amount on a frame.. going for hope though!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘headset for asr-5?’ is closed to new replies.