Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Headset for a Helius AM
  • redx

What headsets are you running in your Helius AMs? The minimum insertion depth is listed as 22mm so wondering what people are using?

Cheers,

Alex

the_lecht_rocks

Standard Chris King. No issues in over 2 years. What fix for pedal strike though ?

messiah
    Free Member

Unless you’re a bike beaster a normal headset is fine, although if there is a problem Nicolai will say you should have run a deep insertion headset as instructed.

For a deep insertion headset fit a good one as it’s something you only ever want to do the once. The Nicolai FET set is stoopid heavy, the CK steelset is lighter but still heavy, but my money would go for an Acros which is lovely (if my frame didn’t have the 1.5). Seriously, if your ordering new get the 1.5 headtube – ideally to allow the Cane Creek adjuster thingy and for future proofing. If it’s a bargain frame think how hard your likely to be ragging it and be honest as to if you will need a strong headset… and then buy the Acros because it’s relatively cheap, very light for what it is, will give peace of mind, and is available from the nice bloke who is Richard at Gravity Sports (or from Jamie at Balfa).

Re TLR’s pedal strike… he is the only person who suffers from this… I’m running 30% sag front and rear and it bothers me not… whatever TLR is doing wrong he is doing it wrong to himself 😀

redx

Would probably put myself in the bike beaster category. Will have a look at the Acros units. Was thinking about a NukeProof Warhead unit, but like you say, it’s something you only want to fit once…..

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have the CK Steelset on my Helius FR. It’s now 3 years old and still smoother than a smooth thing despite some harsh Scottish winters and the odd forgetful high pressure hose around the top tube during cleaning incidents. Probably a headset for life I think.

messiah
    Free Member

It’ll need to be a headset for life – with Pocket changing from his AM to the FR they failed to get either the Acros deep insert or the Steelset removed… so they are having to swap headsets as well 🙄

the_lecht_rocks

regarding the pedal strike :

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=679942

messiah
    Free Member

TLR

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Headset for a Helius AM’ is closed to new replies.