Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Headset expander for carbon. Same as aluminium ?
  • I don't like star nuts, I prefer the Hed Doctor.
    This FSA one looks the same as Hope, but cheaper.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2218
    It says it's for carbon forks though.
    Are carbon steerer tubes a different inside diameter to aluminium, or will it fit the same ?

Someone must know. 😕

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh it'll work. I've used a similar one on an ali steerer.

foxyrider
    Free Member

The one I fished out of my carbon road steerer was a metal wegde assembly like above – just dont over tighten it!

Thanks Gary.
    Foxy, did it then fit in an ali steerer ? Not that I don't beleive Gary, it's just that it's nice to have a second opinion. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

TBH I am not sure – I took it out but have not tried in my alu steerer as already had a hope head doctor and my new carbon road frame came with a "bung" it certainly wont a be bigger diameter than a std head doctor so you may have to crank it tighter?

What about this:

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=4&sub=106

rolfharris
    Free Member

Carbon steerers tend to be a lot thicker than alloy ones, so it may not tighten sufficiently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why would the one in that link be any different?

rolfharris
    Free Member

It might be a smaller diameter to better fit thicker steerer tubes.

Not certain, just a possibility.

foxyrider
    Free Member

or one from parker:

For internal diameters from 23.5 to 25.4 mm

Linky

foxyrider
    Free Member

Gary I was comparing them as one in the list said fits both alloy and carbon steerers!

Scroll down the list 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why do you keep adding links to headset bungs for carbon steerers, the op is using an aluminium steerer.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Are carbon steerer tubes a different inside diameter to aluminium, or will it fit the same ?

Just trying to find a cheep bung and to answer his question Gary?

i.e. one says : For internal diameters from 23.5 to 25.4 mm

so maybe he can go measure it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair enough, but the 2 I've used fit ali steeres

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK Gary – he just wanted another person to say yes before he went for it – I was just trying also to say it should be OK 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

You could always use one of these from USE

Ring-Go-Star

Gary_M
    Free Member

Suppose he could always send it back. Think I used the one inch M:part one from wiggle.

Thanks for the replies, looks like it's worth a try then as some expanders fit both carbon and ali, they must all be near enough the same size.

coatesy
    Free Member

If you want a genuine hed doctor cheap, we've got a few in our workshop, prob do you one for £4 posted.e-mail me if interested.

boxelder

I've a hed dr type bung from some carbon CX forks – £4 posted if anyone wants it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Headset expander for carbon. Same as aluminium ?’ is closed to new replies.