Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • headset cup removal ?? advise needed
  • oreetmon
    Free Member

howdy, sending a orange 5 frame off for a respray soon

wondering whats the best way to remove hope HS cups without having a specific tool, want to keep the cups in good condition for re-use as its in great condition

a slight tap, working around the internal edges with a bit of wooden broom handle offcut was the method i used the last time i did this many years ago but that was with a disposable HS

any advise is welcomed, thanx in advance, kev.

Olly
    Free Member

broom handle, old screw driver, its much the same.

i would suggest, going to the bike shop and fluttering your eyelashes from behind a fiver.

with the proper tool, its safe, and is a 10 second job.

tool in > SMACK with massive hammer

job done.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What Olly said. Risk knackering your frame for a fiver? No. (Says me thats done it on loads of frames)

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve removed a hope with a socket and extension bar. largest socket that fits through the upper cup, tap-move-tap-move-tap-plonk. then up one size on the socket and whack the other cup out. Didn’t harm the headset, but take it steady.

oreetmon
    Free Member

nice 1 chaps,
    re-
    didnt think of the socketset option but might see if the lads in the LBS will do it for me as i will be getting them to re-fit it anyway.

rgrds, kev

Olly
    Free Member

or you could buy the tool for a tenner off fleabay

should be pretty self explanatory.

cant be all that difficile to make really!

section of copper or plastic pipe with the slots in and a bung to splay it out might work, but wouldnt last too long.

neilnevill
    Free Member

fit with a large hammer….I’ve done Hope into nice frame that way….was a bit nervy mind.

Last one I fitted (in a ti frame) was done with a long bolt and a couple of large washers – a sort of home made press basically.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘headset cup removal ?? advise needed’ is closed to new replies.