Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset concern (first time fitting one)
  • jimbles666
    Free Member

Hi, probably a bit of a strange concern in this regard. But I’m building a bike for the first time and yesterday fitted the headset. My worry as it was too easy.

Building a Dmr sled, checked the website and headset specs and I’m sure it’s the right one. Watched all these videos about needing a headset press or being very careful with a hammer. Mine just clicked into place with a smidge of thumb pressure. Feels fine but I’m worried it went in so easily. Anyone else had this experience?

simondbarnes

That frame looks to use push in bearings. You only need a headset press for frames that need cups pressing into them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, did you install a headset, or just bearings? A lot of frames now have the bearing races machined into the frame so no need for cups to be pressed in. Its both lighter and cheaper as the headtube needs machining anyway and saves labour on the assembly line.

jimbles666
    Free Member

Ah OK. Yeah it was a full headset. Just used the brand x tapered internal headset from CRC. I assumed the top and bottom bits were the cups (total noon at this 🤣)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The DMR website states it takes an FSA no.42 acb headset. If you look this up, you’ll see it has no cups.

Do you know the difference between a a bearing and a cup?

jimbles666
    Free Member

It would appear not 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cheers guys. Done a bit more research as well so realised I’m talking out of my arse.

I’ll go an feel stupid over there ➡️

TiRed

Always better to look stupid by asking, rather than find out after that you are stupid by doing. I usually fall into the latter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset concern (first time fitting one)’ is closed to new replies.