Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Headset bearing advice please.
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

2016 trek stache 7 plus bike. The headset bearings have gone, mainly the lower one as it’s a cheap ball race type. Seeing as this is a tapered steerer do I just need an angular contact sealed 1.5 bearing ? There is no lower cup as the bearing sits in the frame. Thanks.

granny_ring

I’ve not got that bike but if the bottom race just sits in the frame directly then you’ll have to get the same and maybe ceramic ball bearings would be better?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks but the trouble is its a loose ball race in there and I want to replace with a cartridge one.

BoardinBob

its a loose ball race in there

Are you sure the original bearings haven’t totally collapsed making it look like loose bearings? I’ve had that before

Jerome
    Free Member

Indeed loose balls.
    Been twenty years since I saw those in a new headset..

simondbarnes

I’d be amazed if that bike had loose ball race. The specs certainly suggest sealed cartridge bearing. I’d go with what BoardinBob said.

fd3chris
    Free Member

It’s not loose bearings I’m being a bit misleading there. It’s a race wirh balls in it with a ring lower cup to cover them. The upper is a cartridge which I want to repeat in the lower .

The lower is very muchike this .

BoardinBob

I’m guessing it is cartridge bearings but they’ve fallen to bits. Spec seems to be an FSA IS-2 headset which is cartridge. Check the outer race isn’t inside the headtube.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I have had it all apart and after a bit of googling I’ve found Trek in their wisdom used a semi cartridge bearing for the lower. I’ve just bought a full cartridge acb FSA bearing with the right angles. Now to find out if it’s too thick etc. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Headset bearing advice please.’ is closed to new replies.