Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Headset and stem help needed! Pretty please!
  • bobbyg81
    Free Member

I have a Rockhopper with the original headset and stem. I’m fancying a new white stem and a new headset. My current headset is needing replaced according to my LBS due to some rubbing somewhere. Not the proper explanation I was given but that was all I could remember.

I may buy a headset first then buy a stem later. Depends on how much pennies I spend.

Anyhow is there anything I should watch out for or will any 1 1/8 headset fit my current stem?

Many thanks for any help you can give!

robbo
    Free Member

You might be able to just get the bearings replaced to keep costs down and doesn’t need difficult installation skills. Is there a make on the headset?

For the stem make sure you get right length and angle unless you want to change the ride which is more complicated to discuss. Any same stem will do and white does look good.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s very good going to have the original headset on a Rockhopper of that vintage. So well done you.

Any 1 1/8th headset will do the trick, depends on how much you want to spend. £35 will get you a cartridge bearing Cane Creek job that’ll be reasonably well sealed.

The tricky bit with the stem is making sure that it fits your bars, there’s two standards – 25.4mm and 31.8mm. I’d be willing to bet that your Rockhopper has 25.4mm bars. FWIW, it’s probably a good time to replace these with an oversize bar for a boost in stiffness and control with a shorter stem/wider bar setup.

If cost is the main consideration then check out On-One or maybe try Outland kit. I’ve an Outland stem on my hardtail which cost me £20, it’s an excellent piece of kit.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies. The headset and stem are Specialized branded and I think I will just replace rather than repair as it’s an ’04 bike.

I would be looking around the £30-35 mark for each component. Ive not measured but I reckon that the bars are 25.4mm. I use it road riding with occasional off road. Would I still be better off going 31.8mm anyway?

garage-dweller

Yes go 31.8, 25.4mm kit is getting harder to find now. I’ve got two bars left in that diameter that’ll be up for replacement in the next year or two and I will be buying new stems too when that happens.

On the headset personally I think there’s two ways to go, one is get a cheap one (£25-35) and strip, clean and regrease it regularly (and given what you ride this would probably be only 2 or 3 times a year and take 20mins tops).

The other is to buy a really good one with good sealing £60+.

robbo
    Free Member

It’ll start getting expensive if you need to change bars as well. From the photo they are 25.4 bars.

Fitting a full new headset is easy if you’re confident. Search YouTube for video guides or the lbs will fit (and charge you maybe £10).

robbo
    Free Member

Check Merlin and on one prices. Cheaper than CRC and faster delivery. Have fun.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Ill try merlin. Cheers! On one didnt have any 1 1/8 headsets unfortunately. Has anyone any experience on the stem and bars I linked to from on one. If the rrp is in anyway accurate it seems a good deal.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d avoid the Crank Bros headset if I were you. Judging from the feedback here, you’d be better off going for an FSA or Cane Creek headset.

The Gap stem is an excellent price. My missus has one on her Marin and it’s a solid piece of kit. I’d perhaps suggest that the bars are a little heavy and at 685mm a teeny bit on the narrow side for my tastes, but for the price they’re a steal.

soobalias
    Free Member

given the mileage you have had from your current headset, i would look to buy cheap

£10-15

if you want a white stem, then just get one to suit your current bars.

if money isnt a consideration then you want a cartridge bearing headset, new stem, new bars, might look at replacing those old shifters and grips and essentially those brake levers are just gonna look plain old, so new brakes too, of course most new brakes will cause you some problems with the fittings on your fork, but that fork is long overdue a replacement, since you are taking out a loan you might as well chuck in a full 1×10 drivetrain and some decent tubeless wheels, on Hope Pro3 evos, natch.

now about that frame, wouldnt you be better suited to a prince albert classic?

keep the saddle tho.

anjs
    Free Member

other thing to watch is the stack hight does not change or you might have problems fitting your forks

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Best place for a loan soobalias? 🙂 Ive already taken care of the brakes, saddle and grips though.

I got the FSA gap stem and went for this bar

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBFSMAXIMUS/fsa_maximus_riser_mtb_handlebar

It was only £14.99 last nite so I was lucky! It’s a bit longer than the On One and weight is about the same.

Headset shopping today, but I think I’ll go for this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2217

soobalias
    Free Member

halve the price and get the FSA Pig

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I was looking at that aswell. Or the Cane Creek S3 for only £23.
    I take it I wont notice much difference between them?

robbo
    Free Member

Same headset, half the price at on one

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOMX/fsa_orbit_mx_headset

Got to be white I presume?

And it matches the stem and bars!!

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Cheers Robbo. Sold. I cant acces the standard 1 1/8 on the on one website. I just get a blank page. I got it through your link no probs. Thanks for that!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Headset and stem help needed! Pretty please!’ is closed to new replies.