• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • heads up for those on plusnet mobile…
  • retro83
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this is a new regulation or what but recently my accounts with Virgin, Nationwide, Barclays and BarclayCard have all started insisting on using text messages for 2FA when making largeish purchases online.

This is a good thing. HOWEVER, these 2FA systems AFAIK all have short numbers e.g. barclaycards number is 85099.

This means if you have a Plusnet mobile they do not support texting short numbers therefore you will be unable to answer the text and therefore need to call the card company every time you want to make a payment.

ads678

Aah, is this why I couldn’t text into TMS when the cricket was on the other day?!?!

retro83
    Free Member

Yep, same issue. Pretty annoying. I’ve spoken to Plusnet and they have no immediate plans to sort it either.

nuke

Don’t think they can can sort it as i thought, given they are a virtual network, it was down to EE not allowing short numbers.

Been with Plusnet mobile for a couple of years now and its always been this way…never really been an issue, maybe couple of times but half the issue is knowing you can’t use short numbers; nothing worse texting back your credit card company and not understanding why it won’t send

mickyfinn
    Free Member

EE do allow short code numbers, but Plusnet didn’t agree access to them in their contract with EE, so until plusnet either amend their existing or renew their contract with different terms it’s a no go. A bit rubbish of them to leave them out to save a few quid on their MVNO contract 🙁

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

After waiting 12 days to port my number to plusnet and then not being able to enter a competition via a short txt number isnt the best start of a phone relationship ! … their days are numbered already

neilnevill
    Free Member

I ported one number (mine) last week and although I was without service almost 24 hours it seems ok now. The other number (my wife’s) is being more awkward in that Plusnet have required me to send ID. A random check apparently. Fair enough although it took a few calls to customer services to get to the bottom of the problem which had left me questioning my decision to shift 2 mobiles and my broadband. Still, it’s cheaper than previous providers.

squirrelking
    Free Member

None of mine have asked for a response, only the unique code put into a prompt screen.

I’ll keep an eye out but it’s not too concerning for the moment. Did wonder why Babestation never seemed to work so that clears that mystery.

FuzzyWuzzy

You generally only need to respond if its fraudulent activity so not a good time to find out it doesn’t work (although I guess you could always just phone them to)

ajaj
    Free Member

“using text messages for 2FA … a good thing”

Not convinced. In the first case it isn’t 2FA if the way you got someone’s password is by stealing their phone and anyway hacking SMS is a tried and trusted work around.

Kahurangi

I might have to head back to GiffGaff. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll go check tonight and see what the craic is.

retro83
    Free Member

ajaj

“using text messages for 2FA … a good thing”

Not convinced. In the first case it isn’t 2FA if the way you got someone’s password is by stealing their phone and anyway hacking SMS is a tried and trusted work around.

Presume most people have a fingerprint or similar lock on their phone these days? But anyway I meant 2FA in general as opposed to needing to remember password, passcode memorable word, place & date etc for every different site.

nuke

Don’t think they can can sort it as i thought, given they are a virtual network, it was down to EE not allowing short numbers.

I posted on their forums and one of their support guys said they are adding some short number support, but it seems like only on a case by case basis. British Transport Police and Crisis were the two examples he gave.

mashr

Plus Net Mobile =/= BT Mobile then? That’s quite odd really

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘heads up for those on plusnet mobile…’ is closed to new replies.