• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by grum.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Heading to the Lakes tomorrow, what’s been gravelled recently?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Driving to Hawkshead for 2 weeks tomorrow for a mix of hiking and riding. We’ll obviously be riding at Grizedale and havent been there for a few years. Do the old off piste trails still exist (Breasty Haws, Fox , Riverbed etc)? I know there’s been gravelling in the area (Parkamoor to High Nibthwaite?).

Is Walna Scar worth the ride now, I think that was graded a few years ago so might have recovered?

Any other tips or warnings for that area.

Thanks

augustuswindsock

Walna scar’s still good!

duncancallum

Seathwaite. Dunnerdale woods up to brown pike down. Top ride

Parkamore was ok last time I was there. If its dry nambeild and garburn?

baddddad
    Free Member

Is the Whinlatter trail centre any good? (Road) cycled past last weekend. Looked busy!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Do the old off piste trails still exist (Breasty Haws,

Yep, did that about 6 weeks ago. Make sure you do it west to east ( assuming it’s the one I think it is)

Fox , Riverbed etc)?

Did Fox in September. Was great

I know there’s been gravelling in the area (Parkamoor to High Nibthwaite?).

Rode up this s couple of times last summer. It was starting to get back to its rougher, better self. Would you then do that three part descent through the forest to the parking space just south of Satterthwaite? Then up to Bogle carpark then over Breasty?

Is Walna Scar worth the ride now, I think that was graded a few years ago so might have recovered?

Can’t recall exact dates, but I did it about 5 years ago and it was rubbish. Then did it twice last summer and the bedrock had reappeared nicely on the steep sections, so getting better. Make sure you take the second ( easternmost) bridleway when you hit Torver bridge. Did the other one last year and it was rubbish.

Two weeks…. Awesome.

dc1988

I prefer Whinlatter to Grizedale, if you’re just riding the official trails at Grizedale then it’s barely worth it.

failedengineer

Whinlatter’s worth a couple of hours, definitely. Grizedale North Face not, IMO. However, it’s not a bad way to climb to the top of the forest.

scuttler

Make sure you have a map of Whinlatter as there’s a couple of sections on both the N and S loops that are good for rinse and repeat using the fire roads to divert you mid-loop.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Yep, we’d just use the NFT to access the off piste options in Grizedale. Who goes to the Lakes to ride trail centres 😉 ?

Would you then do that three part descent through the forest

Is the called something like ‘Grandpa and Dentist’? Thanks, I’d forgotten that one.

samcamsdad

Is the called something like ‘Grandpa and Dentist’? Thanks, I’d forgotten that one

Depending on who you talk to, it’s Dad, Grandand and Dentist. Or some call it three witches!

martinhutch

Can’t believe Parka Moor is recovering already, Good news.

gkeeffe

Parkamoor is definitely getting back to normal. Trashed my rear wheel on it last week!

martinhutch

Has all the shit just washed off it? Even the bedrock sections? They were completely buried, thought it would take Time Team to get them out.

Grandad, Dad etc is still probably the best option if you’re centred on the forest, gets you over to the other side without having to schlep up bletherbarrow lane and the track over towards Ickenthwaite.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s an interactive map on trailforks which has TNF trail and all the additional tails https://www.trailforks.com/trails/the-north-face-trail/ (you can expand the map)

I’m up there next week and on the assumption that Parkamoor wasnt worth doing I’d planned a route down Grandad Dad and the Dentist, Breasty Haw, Claife Heights.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

How’s Gatesgarth these days? Is it still generally considered better to nip over Harter Fell if doing Nan Bield and miss out the Gatesgarth descent and carry back up?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

How’s Gatesgarth these days? Is it still generally considered better to nip over Harter Fell if doing Nan Bield and miss out the Gatesgarth descent and carry back up?

TLDR: Yes

We did Harter a week or two ago and loved it. Only done GG once years ago and just found it a slow rubblefest.
    We met s chap last week who was planning to do the proper full loop, to whom I gently suggested that the word on the street is that GG isn’t worth the hassle. He said he was doing it anyway.

Met him coming down Nan Bield and his response to my question on how GG was:

“Shit”

So, make of that what you will.

Tedious detail and some lovely pics here 😃

2 Passes

mattkkitch

Personally I love Gatesgarth! More flat out than super tech and well worth the extra climb. Tell me this doesn’t look fun https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m8pWBawTBxI#menu

Gatesgarth being from about 24 seconds.

b33k34

Off up at start of June – that’s great news on Parkamoor and the Fox.

If its dry nambeild and garburn?

I was really disappointed last time we rode NanBield – a few interesting turns down from the top but the long long run out through the valley seemed to have lost all it’s flow and be swampy even when it was dry. My memory of it it from before was that it was fun all the way.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Matt, I love that video. Looks like a great ride even with the rain. And brilliantly edited.

joe-m

I was really disappointed last time we rode NanBield – a few interesting turns down from the top but the long long run out through the valley seemed to have lost all it’s flow and be swampy even when it was dry. My memory of it it from before was that it was fun all the way.

Did this a few weeks ago and that wasn’t my experience at all, would almost say the lower section was better than the switch backs, was bone dry mind.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

L

all it’s flow and be swampy even when it was dry.

I agree with Joe on this. And TBH you’ve answered your own issue in the bit quoted above… It was too wet.
    It’s one of those rides, like High Street and Helvellyn Dodds ridge, that is better when it is absolutely bone dry. Ie not rained für weeks. Couple of dry days isn’t enough.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Really good video Matt, but no, it doesn’t look great tbh!.

Did this a few weeks ago and that wasn’t my experience at all, would almost say the lower section was better than the switch backs, was bone dry mind.

This makes a huge difference, as has been said on here many times before, it’s so much more fun in the dry, and also if you really attack it. If you’re expecting gravity to do the fun for you, look elsewhere.

b33k34

Cheers – pretty sure it hadn’t been a wet week, and we’d not found anywhere else boggy but take the point about High Street too. Will revisit in that case…

grum
    Free Member

High Street is very meh, apart from some great scenery, even when pretty dry.

There’s some good enduro/off piste type tracks in Grizedale these days as well as the fun BWs etc. Definitely worth an explore.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Heading to the Lakes tomorrow, what’s been gravelled recently?’ is closed to new replies.