Heading back to blighty – vague excitement

Home Forum Chat Forum Heading back to blighty – vague excitement

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Heading back to blighty – vague excitement
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

1) A decent curry – On my list for return from oz
    2) Skips, salt and vinegar chipsticks – never floated the boat, do they stille xist?
    3) A proper haggis supper – wtf no!
    4) A proper kebab maybe even one of thos folded Naans with dogmeat in it – Only after 30 pints and then it will still be crap. Kebabs are worth eating this end of the world!
    5) Nice handpulled beer (less of an issue these days as we brew our own) – Top of the list

Proper Sunday lunch in a decent pub! Soggy Monday afternoon ride on a dogshit ridden bridleway 😉

longmover

Good beer
    Proper Cornish pasty
    A fry up with pork sausages, real bacon and black sausage all covered with brown sauce.
    Decent curry
    And the wife would add a trip to waitrose

None of these things are done correctly in Western Australia

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Exactly Pork Sausages why do they insist on making them out of everything else

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

>Soggy Monday afternoon ride on a dogshit ridden bridleway<

Sold ! Sounds fantastic. Will that include hedgp0rn and a selection of those hanging bag trees as well ?

Proper Sunday lunch in a decent pub

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

Its the simple things, heading back for a 3 week holiday to show off the 6month old (at that point, lets gloss over the 30hour flight 😕 )

Having been away for, erm, 14 years and not back since 2009 – what should my priorities be ?

My list is:
    1) A decent curry
    2) Skips, salt and vinegar chipsticks
    3) A proper haggis supper
    4) A proper kebab maybe even one of thos folded Naans with dogmeat in it
    5) Nice handpulled beer (less of an issue these days as we brew our own)

And can someone loan me a bike in the Claderdale area for a couple of days or point me to where i can hire/blag one ? Will be staying in Calderdale for a couple of days with friends.

farm-boy

My to do list on my 5 yearly trips back to blighty consists of (coming from WA)

– decent pint in a good pub
    – fish and chips not bloody oven chips
    – pork sausages
    – curry
    – Sunday papers
    – OS maps
    – hills
    – black pudding, haggis, other similar delights

Will that include hedgp0rn and a selection of those hanging bag trees as well ?

. Yes, apart from th hanging bags bit. No-one bothers with that nonsense round here, they just leave it where it’s laid.

Seriously though, if you haven’t already, catch a train to Ullapool and take your bike. I guarantee you won’t regret it.

choron

Proper meat pies. I’ve thought of importing them myself, would gladly pay 20 USD for one from Waterfields.

mmmmmm

mail me in profile as I run a bike hire business in Rossendale just over the hill.

perthmtb

Ok, so here’s my list…

-Nineteen hours of flying with my 6’4″ frame wedged into an economy class seat.
    -Arrive Gatwick on a drizzly cold miserable morning to be greeted by immigration staff with an ‘attitude’.
    -Crawl across London in the rush hour traffic at 3mph
    -…

Nah, sod it, think I’ll just stay where I am thanks 😀

longmover

Going for a ride when going outside does not feel let stepping into the gates of hell would be nice, I am so glad winter is here!

Marmoset

I think a good old fashioned pub crawl would be 1st on my list, followed by an 11pm curry where you don’t feel as though you’re keeping the staff up!

Getting up a proper mountain somewhere in Snowdonia

Sitting in a traffic jam – just to reminisce about the daily commute that was 😀

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Guess I have not been away long enough or I go back too much (once a year) as I don’t miss anything apart from family and friends?

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

For me, it’s:
    – decent pint (or three) in a good pub
    – fish and chips
    – meat pie/pasty
    – proper curry
    – clothes shopping

Stock up on bangers, bacon, tea-bags and cheap medicines from Boots for the flight back…

mrmoofo

Warm flat beer
    Proper bacon sarnie
    Read the Sunday Times
    Go to a real pub and eat some pork scratchings, with the above warn beer.

longmover

@Marmoset It is also nice to eat out and not feel like you have subsidised a small european country

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

When I was in oz the thing I missed the most was a proper chicken roast.
    Steak and beef no problem. Chicken ,no good.
    I remember stopping at a Red Rooster restaurant which has surprisingly a huge chicken on its roof only to be told they had no chicken.
    The rest of oz I loved.

bigrich

sitting in a pub near the fire whilst it sleets outside.

double glazing so it’s warmer inside than out.

konabunny

Proper English curry 😉

Jacket potato with cheese and beans

Some stuff from M&S foods

A full English with chips

Private Eye

WillH

We did the same about a year ago with our then-6-month-old. Arriving in Manchester Airport, cold, chucking it down with rain, smokers huddled outside the doors with the wind blowing in filling the place with smoke… welcome home 🙁

But then it was onto the train and off to show his nibs off to the family, and drink lots of proper beer (homebrewer here too, but the range of bottles of proper beer available at the supermarket was truly staggering, and at the same cost per litre as swappa crates of Waikato/Lion Red etc. here… almost made me want to move back! Then I just resolved to get better at brewing 😀 )

Anyway, the main point of this post was to say that if you haven’t already booked seats with bassinets on the plane, ring the travel agent tomorrow and do it. Extra leg room for you and even though our lanky little monster was almost too long for it, it was fantastic to be able to just put him down for a few hours. There were a number of people on our flight who had to take it in turns holding the baby the entire flight, didn’t look like fun.

meehaja

Skips are now free from MSG and other artificial flavourings and don’t taste the same. Sorry.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Nah, sod it, think I’ll just stay where I am thanks

With an attitude like that, I think it’s for the best 🙂

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Mine is:

Proper Fish+Chips
    Decent Curry
    and pick up a pot of marmite on the way back

wl

Hebden’s Blazing Saddles has an extremely nice Orange Five demo bike, among others. The friendly folk there will point you in the direction of some superb trails, too. Fish & chips from Crown Fisheries. Kebab from Papas. Magic Rock beer from Old Gate. Speciality northern grumpiness from Bonsalls hardware.

Premier Icon spawnofyorkshire
    Subscriber

I miss Bonsalls, i haven’t found anywhere useful in Huddersfield where you can walk into a relatively small shop and always come out with exactly what you need
    Edit: Is it still the Greenroyds running Bonsalls?

monkey_boy

a good pint of ale, i remember from my year trip to NZ the beer being terrible down there!

patriotpro

See your mates/family.

Have a good drink.

Ride your favourite trail.

Fish n Chips.

Then return home knowing that’s all your missing and nothing else!

Oh and take loads of photos.

konabunny

See your mates/family.

Are you kidding? Why do you think I left?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

monkey_boy – Member
    a good pint of ale, i remember from my year trip to NZ the beer being terrible down there!

Look harder the craft beer revolution is taking hold, we are even bringing kiwi beer to Oz 🙂 and it tastes like home

Premier Icon uphillcursing
    Subscriber

Bacon? Better here.
    Beer? You can get good stuff now.
    Pies? just as good here.
    Fish and chips. You got me there.
    Pork scratchings. The wife makes some ace crackling.

Fish n Chips (with cod, none of this flake sh1te)
    Mushy Peas
    Curry and spicy food in general
    Sainsbo’s £3 lunch deals
    Technical sports clothes at a sensible price
    Fresh fruit at a sensible price
    Percy Pigs
    Chiswick High Road
    Sausages

corroded

For me, its sausages (again) – they’re just wrong here. And cheese – I miss all those wonderful English and French cheeses. You can get some here but not without selling a kidney.

Also, the smell of spring in my formerly local woods (wild garlic, bluebells), a nice bit of chalky downland and sunken lanes, their walls gnarly with tree roots.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Proper pint, ideally overlooking village green, pub lunch

messiah

Visit a Brewdog bar.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Heading back to blighty – vague excitement’ is closed to new replies.