Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Head dotctor help…?
  • barn
    Free Member

I unscrewed what seems to be a head doctor thingy inside the fork of my Cotic X and a part has dropped down into the steerer.
    Am now at a total loss as to how it goes back together…

Any thoughts on how to reassemble?

Pretty thrown by this as have only ever used STF nuts before.
    Hmmm.

Thanks for any input.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I got part of one stuck once and had to just whack it with a hammer and big screwdriver until it fell out (tapered steerer though). Is it stuck or just rattling about in there?

andrewh
    Free Member

You need a suitable piece of dowl/pipe/tube and some patience.

The bit which has fallen down is threaded, and has to be pushed up from the underneath the right way up. Use your dowl/pipe/tube to hold it against the two rings which should have remained near the top of the steerer tube while you screw the 8mm allen bolt into it (Note, starting the screwing process will mean that you then cannot see into the steerer to see what you are doing.)

Does that make sense?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Now y’all know why it’s called the hed doctor. You need one to sort you out if you get a problem with it.
    I turn the bike upside down and turn the 8mm hex head, jiggling the bike until it grabs.SIMPLES.

barn
    Free Member

Thanks guys. That makes total sense, but seems like a real fiddle! Will give it a go.
    Cheers.

Radioman

Once you get the knack of using them I think they work much better than the “bodged in” star fangled nut. its worth putting in extra grease too.

barn
    Free Member

People – I can not thank you enough!
    I got a barbecue scewer and pushed it back together.
    All sorted, would have been totally stuck without your input.
    Brilliant. STW sorts it again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Head dotctor help…?’ is closed to new replies.