Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HDMI / S/Pdif Preamp
  • scuzz
    Free Member

Hello all.
    I have an amp, I like it and am not in a hurry to replace it.
    What’s the best way to hook an HDMI or S/Pdif output into an analogue input?
    I’m not fussed about surround sound, stereo will do me.
    Presumably there would be a DAC involved somewhere.
    Cheap options are the best.
    Thanks!

Cougar

What’s the source?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Here £13.27

Amazing. Didnt think there would be anything at that price. Sure you can pay £1327 as well if you want

scuzz
    Free Member

Bumpidy bump

What’s the source?

Inbuilt FreeviewHD tuner in a telly. Headphone socket is the only analogue out. Unsure if it’s got a PCM/2ch setting, but we’ll see when it gets delivered.
    🙂

simons_nicolai-uk

That’s a bit of alright, do you have one? I’ll have a look at some reviews.

CountZero

The folks here might be able to give me an answer to a question I’ve been meaning to ask for a while. I’ve got three devices with HDMI that I want to put into my Bravia TV, but it’s only got two HDMI inputs on the back. (There’s one on the front, but I don’t want leads draped across the stand). Are there any reasonably priced HDMI switcher boxes that people have used they recommend? Basically it’s to have my satellite box, my Mac Mini and my Cambridge DVD player available all the time. At the moment the DVD player is just used for audio, but I’d like video too.
    Thanks folks.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s a bit of alright, do you have one? I’ll have a look at some reviews.

No, but at that price what have you got to lose? It’s a D-A converter – how bad can it be when it’s processing TV audio?

scuzz
    Free Member

No, but at that price what have you got to lose? It’s a D-A converter – how bad can it be when it’s processing TV audio?

Good point, well made.
    Looks like I got the last one from Play. Thanks for the advice!

Cougar

Headphone socket is the only analogue out

Might be worth waiting till the TV’s delivered, double-check what inputs / outputs you actually have.

Are there any reasonably priced HDMI switcher boxes that people have used they recommend?

I ended up solving this issue by buying a new amp. But I’m told that the cheap HDMI switchers are actually pretty good. Eg,

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

report back on how it works

CountZero. Never used one but there are loads of HDMI switchers about – try Keene, ThatCable or CableUniverse

TheFopster
    Free Member

I’ve got a Belkin HDMI switch that I used as my AV amp is pre-HDMI and I didn’t want to buy a new one when I went HD. Works perfectly. I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control it all so there isn’t even any extra faff with button pressing – the remote sets the amp to the right setting for audio and also sets the Belkin to route the corresponding video feed. Very straightforward.

This is the switch

I paid about fifteen quid new. Good luck!

scuzz
    Free Member

Finally got the FiiO D3 DAC delivered, so far so good. Doesn’t sound as good as my more expensive USB DAC, but it’s certainly good enough, and better than TV speakers / Home Cinema for music.
    I’m wirelessly streaming Spotify from an Ubuntu Laptop (via Rygel) to the TV across DLNA, then out the DAC to my amp.

If anyone wants a similar setup, give us a shout if you need pointers.
    Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HDMI / S/Pdif Preamp’ is closed to new replies.