Hayfield?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Hayfield?
  • djglover

Hi

Wondering if any south Manchester or Hayfield area folk can give me their views.

I am about to start a job in Wythenshawe near Manchester Airport and I am considering buying a place in Hayfield. The commute looks eminently doable with the opening of the Eastern Link Road.

The other part of my plan is to let the place out weekends and when I am on holiday (airbnb), do people see Hayfield as a short break destination for walking/mtb/road cycling?

Ta.

Lots of people use it for walking as it’s a route to kinder edge and has a camp site.
    Commute, you can go down the A555 but traffic on the A6 has increased now on high lane to access the bypass at peak times. You can also head over Macc road from Whaley and cut over through Bollington.

dpfr

I had no choice but to drive down the A555 to the airport in the morning rush a few weeks ago. It was horrific! Half an hour queueing down through High Lane to get on the A555 and then very heavy at the airport end too. The A555 is great outside peak times though so much depends on when you’d be using it.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

A6 from about Disley all the way down to the link road is solid in the mornings now. Problem is there is no other way out there other than the bus. To get the train or tram means going to Stockport or Manchester then going back out again

The link road does have a decent cycle path to one side of it though if that’s an option?

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Hayfield’s in a brilliant geographical location, but it’s quite small, relatively expensive and not overly endowed with shops and there’s no railway station. I have a few friends who live there – and one who almost did – and it is quite villagey, the sort of place where it takes a couple of generations to be accepted. I’m not saying it’s unfriendly mind, just that it may take a while to feel accepted there.

Quite a compact outdoors / biking community for running, mountain biking etc. Nearest supermarkets would be Glossop where there’s a big Tesco, Whaley (a slightly smaller Tesco), Chapel for Morrisons or the smaller and overpriced hellhole which is New Mills Co-op. Several half-decent pubs

If you’re planning on driving down the A555 at peak commute time, the missus, who often rides it, says the 555 itself is fine, but getting to it – the A6 basically – is a nightmare. It’s a textbook example of how building new roads just shifts the major congestion points as more people use them. Okay on a bike though, just not a great drive when it’s busy.

Hayfield’s a great walking destination, so I don’t see why you couldn’t do the Airbnb thing, though you probably want to do a little more research into how seasonal it is in terms of demand. It’s quite a tourist destination in summer and still attracts walkers the rest of the year too.

Don’t know if that’s much help. I’d maybe do a practice run or two on the commute at the time you intend to do it and see whether it still makes sense from that point of view.

djglover

Thanks all, great food for thought, the A6 sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare each morning, which might be a deal breaker if its going to take and hour plus but cycling could be an option.. My other alternative is to get a small soulless flat really close to the airport, might work for summer evening rides/runs out of high peak anyway.

gingerbllr

I lived in hayfield for about 2 years – before I got into mountain biking.

Commute will be much better if you can arrive at 8 or before and leave at 4ish. Half an hour later and it’ll add at around 30 mins to your commute. Still not terrible at peak times, but worth checking out if it’s a big factor.

You’d have no problems air BnBing the place at all imo. The campsite 5 mins walk away from the centre of the village is heaving all summer. The demand is there, so if the place is up to scratch then you’ll have no issues.

Pros:
    Hayfield is a lovely place to live, plenty of biking , running, easy walk up kinder scout from home is nice. You don’t need to drive to do a good ride(road or mtb), pubs are really nice, chippy is decent. Easy enough to get into central manc by train if you want/need. Easy to get to edale and ladybower etc. It’s peaceful there and it’s a very picturesque place.

Cons:
    Not many really.
    Parking space is limited. The car parks for kinder scout are pretty small, so the village gets busyish sometimes. Not a big deal if you’re chill and don’t mid walking a hundred meters to get your car. There’s not much in the village, if you need a pint of milk at 9pm you’re gonna have to get in the car. No gym if you’re into that. Roads occasionally get a bit snowy.

gingerbllr

Beaten to it by BWD

Subscriber

You could look at somewhere closer to the A555 maybe – High Lane? Hazel Grove? Not quite Hayfield, but as above, the new road has a completely separate cycle way alongside it, so it might give you the option of a cycle commute, plus you could get out to the Peak by bike along the canal quite easily.

fossy

What about a bit closer to the link road ? New Mills / Disley

Subscriber

Poynton? Or Prestbury even, says ‘er on the Poang.

djglover

Cheers all, I did think Disley and New Mills looked quiet nice when I drove through today (although it was a beautiful crisp sunny winter day). I think I’d rather be right near the fells though and get up at 6 to beat most of the rush. For reference I currently live in Ilkley and work in Leeds.

dooosuk

I live in High Lane at the Disley end of the village near Lyme Park. To avoid the traffic on the A6 you need to be in High Lane before 7am. At 7am the traffic is standstill from the Horse Shoe pub/Windlehurst junction back to Park Road. At this time it’s max ten minutes through the village. If you’re trying to pass through at 7.30am to 8am it could take 20mins to do that 0.5mile.

It’s quicker for me to cycle the 14 miles to media city than drive.

My wife works at Whythenshaw A&E. Her commutes are fine as she’s out the door early and in late.

richpips

I live in Hayfield and have a few mates who do very nicely out of Airbnb.

stevedoc

Hayfield is a nice place but traffic wise, anything south of New Mills on the A6 or Over Broadbottom, Mottram Hattersely Glossop Denton is just a traffic nightmare from 7am, the M60 from Ashton to junction 6 of the M56 is at almost a stand still every morning from 6:45am and even worse from 3:45pm every day.

The new Link has alleviated some of that but trying to get on it from the A6 is a ballache as would be trying to come from Marple past Hazel grove golf club.

Id rather live in Ilkley 🙂

djglover

Cheers, I’m going to go for a second viewing later in the week and test out the rush hour commute.

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

As many have said… A6 through high lane is just soul crushing.

im in media city (waves at dooosuk wondering where you work)

we live in new mills (and really like it) but if I’m on a 9am start I have to be gone by 7. It takes as long to get through high lane as it does to do the rest of the journey.

you have to try it and see if you can make it work for you. For example can you do 4×10 hour day’s instead of 5×8

Could you 7-3 or 10-6?

and, yes I can see weekend air b&b being quite successful in the area….

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I’m not saying it’s unfriendly mind

We stayed at an air bnb in Hayfield for a weekend and were told our behaviour was disgusting. What did we do? We parked two cars outside the house. As soon as we move one, they ran out and moved their car in to the space 🤣

Great playpark there though, we rode there along the canals from Marple with kiddies on bike seats

Subscriber

We stayed at an air bnb in Hayfield for a weekend and were told our behaviour was disgusting. What did we do? We parked two cars outside the house. As soon as we move one, they ran out and moved their car in to the space 🤣

I guess that’s the result of small streets of stone-built houses with very little off-road parking and a culture that makes rural living without a car slightly problematic.

There used to be a railway into New Mills and beyond of course, you probably rode along its route on the Sett Valley Trail. These days your only public transport option is an infrequent bus service to either New Mills or Glossop.

IHN

If you want to live around that way, I’d recommend Whaley itself; most of the geographical and pleasant villagey feel advantages of Hayfield, lower Pretty Peak District Village property price tax, with the addition of a railway station for when you need it and, as others have said, you can wazz up and over to Bollington/Adlington for A6 avoidance.

Bunnyhop

Haha nobody has mentioned Marple.

If you’re cycling, Marple is great. Canal onto a short stretch of the A6, then onto the cycle friendly A555. This will take you directly to Man airport.
    As for driving, Marple is awful.

Hayfield is exactly as others have said above. Small, attractive but with very few amenities. The huge plus side, is that it’s an outdoor person’s paradise.

Subscriber

Marple is awful

I have selectively agreed with you 🙂

I’d concur with IHN that Whaley’s a good call – particularly now that they’ve drained the reservoir of doom – given that it’ll also open up an alternative commute route option. Nice town, decent riding on the doorstep, has its own supermarket if that bothers you plus a proper local bike shop presided over by the infamous Fred Salmon.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Bollington is a nice town that has some of that Hayfield rural stone terraced character, good community, nestled in the hills for cycling, running, nowhere to park your car. Not a tourist spot, though, which is good on the one hand but an airbnb would be a lot quieter than Hayfield I reckon.
    I think the commute over to the airport way would be miles more tractable, but no direct experience of those roads in the rush hour.

Hayfield Wythenshaw commute in a car would be a non-starter for me but I’ve never had a car commute, so am soft in that regard. If you’re used to an hour’s drive in the morning, and are disciplined to time it right, then it’s probably not a big deal.

sofaboy73

As others have said, doing the commute by car everyday would be pretty horrendous. I live in the general area (chinley – south of hayfield) and commute to Manchester most days by train. 35-40 mins to the centre by train. Could you pick up a tram from the centre to take you to wythenshawe?? Bit of a ball ache but distinctly less so then terrible A6 traffic each day. Oh, and I can heartily recommend chinley if you expand your search area – fast trains to Manchester, 10 mins to hope valley, couple of lovely pubs, riding / walking from the door and I’d guess easy air bnb lets

godders

I live in Marple and don’t even drive that way, I commute to Prestwich most days via bike though. Anyway, one other thing to consider that I’ve been aware of, although not experienced it is the A555 flooding. It’s happened a fair few times this year so far and I can only image the chaos it brings.

dooosuk

The flooding of the A555 actually makes High Lane a much nicer place. Distinct lack of traffic in comparison to when it’s not flooded and locals just take the old routes ☺️

Council have admitted that there’s no quick fix and the flooding is likely to continue though.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

The plus/minus points of Hayfield have all been covered by @BadlyWiredDog and @gingerbllr, not really much more to add and if you want a place that can be let as an airbnb then out of all the places mentioned, it’s far and away the best-known as an “outdoors destination” and therefore where an airbnb is likely to do much better.

Downsides are that it’s got very few amenities but it’s a lovely little place, nice community feel to it.

Living in Marple, New Mills, Disley, Whaley Bridge etc isn’t going to help you much with the commute, you still end up doing A6/A555. Post back on here once you’ve tried it at rush hour, be interested to hear your thoughts on it (he says, readying the bike to ride down it tomorrow morning…)

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Do not get stuck with that commute. My other half did it (well, from New Mills), and it was hell.

djglover

Cheers everyone. Gonna try the commute early Thursday and see…

dooosuk

Are you there yet? 🙂

nbt

He’s still stuck in traffic…

mrsheen

Soldier Dick?

djglover

haha. I did the commute as a dry run today, 42 minutes setting of at 7:10. I can cope with that, I will say that the sat nav took me through Marple though to miss the bulk of the A6.. .

mrsheen

You really need to experience the entirity of the A6.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

You really need to experience the entirity of the A6.

Yep, go back and do it again!

Premier Icon Furious
    Subscriber

Yep, go back and do it again!

This.

I travel from Glossop to Wilmslow for work and one of the quickest routes (if I’m not cycling or taking the train) is via Hayfield, A6 and the A555 – luckily I’m on a motorcycle when I do this so the traffic isn’t quite as bad for me as it’s a very ‘filter friendly’ route. What I will say is that traffic density does vary wildly across the week. Last week for example I had to take the car on two days, travelling at the same time of day (7:30) one day took 50 mins, the next took 90! It’s an awful route to take with the car. The A555 is great (unless coming home and trying to turn right back on to the A6!) – but the A6 -> A555 is horrible most mornings.

Highlight of the trip is sniffing the air around the Swizzels factory in New Mills – mmmmm, drumsticks

Bunnyhop

Oh yes, we try and guess what teeth rotting confectionery they are making that particular week.

Op – have you taken into account the 2 weeks of the year, when the whole area is totally gridlocked and strewn with abandoned range rovers due to 6.5 cm of snow?

Subscriber

Oh yes, we try and guess what teeth rotting confectionery they are making that particular week.

Parma Violets – yuk. Along the canal you can see powder residue sat on the outside of the Swizzles building. More seriously, I’d concur that the journey time via the A555 does seem to be quite variable. My partner uses Google Maps to try and second-guess the level of congestion and routes accordingly, but there doesn’t seem to be much logic to it beyond the obvious avoiding the school run times. Some days it’s great, others it’s just awful.

If you do end up down this way, shout if you fancy a gentle introduction to local trails and check out the Hayfield Hub guys on FB.

djglover

Cheers, well I had an offer accepted today, so looks like I will be down that way in the NY. definitely looking forward to some midweek evening fell runs up Kinder Scout in the summer 🙂

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Hayfield is lovely, but New Mills and other local towns are a bit more practical and/or future proofed for train commutes should your employment change. Eg New Mills with 2 stations covers both lines, so lots of future options.

If you want smaller, Furness Vale also has a station and still has fast access to the hills.

It’s a great area, but when I lived there I placed train access as pretty high. I cycle commuted too into central Manchester, but the train was pretty good (Back then!).

Good luck with the house hunt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.