Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hayes Dominion A4 – real world experience?
  • Shackleton

My XT M785 brakes have started to fail in all sorts of death inducing ways after nearly 10 years of service. I never really liked them for modulation but did get used to them.

I’ve tried MT7s (stupidly powerful and expensive but controlled), TRP trail SLs (lovely modulation and control), New XT 4pots (stick in spokes), SRAM Guide (OK but don’t like lever shape) as replacements.

However, looking at general reviews the Hayes Dominion A4 seems to get fantastic reviews that apparently combine all of my favourite features of the others in to one brake.

Has anybody used them in a UK clag fest yet?

Can you get aftermarket pads that work (my quick google could only find nukeproof branded and not sintered) and don’t cost a fortune? Hayes seem to be £20 an end.

Plus the the official bleed kit is £50 and the official rotors £40 each (assuming that you bother).

All gets quite pricey compared to the TRPs that were the top pick from the demos, even if you go to the Germans.

But are they worth it……..

liamhutch89
    Free Member

I use them primarily for DH and I like them. The modulation and consistency is great. Power feels fine but as a decent boulderer I’ve never struggled with power on any properly installed disc brake.

I use an old sram bleed kit on mine and it works fine. Not sure about aftermarket pads

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Oh I’m still on my previous sram rotors too

Mbnut
    Free Member

Got them on my Enduro, ridden a variety of stuff with them from regular Surrey rides, Golfie/Tweed valley and the Alps.

I’m 90kg kitted up.

Power and modulation are great, the feel at the lever is very good, the word that comes to mind is rich.

Overall, the number 1 benefit is that they make riding the bike easier. General trail riding they are just a nice brake to use, on steeps the feedback and control is superb and on long Alpine descents the fatigue levels drop right off. The Freeride at Pila is a long old punt down the hill, I rode it quicker, felt much more relaxed and while certainly not fresh at the bottom I was not having to stare at my hands to see if I was actually braking by the end, actually felt like another 5 minutes would have been ok.

I used a couple of different after market pads, one being Nukeproof, forget the other. Neither were bad though not as good as the semi sintered that came with them.

Uberbike are going to be doing them in the Race Matrix, they are currently in the testing phase so no firm time frame regarding when they will come to market.

Shackleton

Cheers all, sounds like they could be worth a punt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hayes Dominion A4 – real world experience?’ is closed to new replies.