Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Hawthorn Blossom…
  • the-muffin-man

…not sure what it’s like around your area but it seems particularly epic this year. A sea of white where I live – I’m not the sort to usually notice this sort of thing, so maybe it’s always been this way! 🙂

Bunnyhop

Yes it’s been the best showing of blossom I’ve seen for a good few years. From our attic window there are bushes way up into the hills that are visibly white.
    So much insect life on them too. Hopefully a good berry season later in the year.

scotroutes

We can cast oor cloots then?

woody2000

Yes! I’ve been saying exactly the same thing, it’s unbelievable this year 🙂

Not the best picture (ironically!)
    Blossom

frankconway

Not until May is oot.

mwab65

+1, I don’t recall seeing Hawthorn blossom standing out as much as it is this year.

the-muffin-man

scotroutes

Not until May is oot.

But it is oot. See the foties.

matt_outandabout

Yes, it is a brilliant year for them. The smell is ace.

I also note our Broom and the Gorse is amazing this year too.

matt_outandabout

We can cast oor cloots then?

I am sat at work naked if that helps.

longdog
    Free Member

We were just commenting the other day how dense the blossoms were, both down in East Cleveland recently visiting family, and up here in Angus.

dashed
    Free Member

Ditto here – brilliant showing from the hawthorn this year. Don’t remember it as full on as this.

Nor do I ever recall a year like last for sycamore seeds, which are sprouting all over the place and we’ve literally got a carpet of the bloody things in places.

jp-t853

Agreed a great year for them. I think up north a cool start to the year held back the blossom past the frost period and now we have nice warm and calm weather.

I was up Whinlatter one evening last week and the view from the North red side back towards Keswick was filled with a white blanket in places.

Drac

Yup as was the black thorn too.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not far from the OP, but it has indeed been a stunning year for hawthorn – some lanes and tracks look like you are riding through snow drifts.

Pretty much all blossom has been stunning this year round here.

MrSparkle

And pink too…

sandboy

I rode along the river bank a couple of weeks ago and the hawthorn blossom was the best I can remember. No idea why?

cheese@4p

Hawthorn blossom and dusty trails…Happy days

ElShalimo

In the last couple of weeks it’s been stunning in West Yorkshire, the Forest of Bowland and up near Winter Hill.  Is the pinkish one a different sub-species?

I can’t remember it being like this before. Is it the mild, wet spring followed by a warm dry spell causing this?

Houns

Yes, hawthorn has been great, so too horse and sweet chestnut

WildHunter2009

I was thinking the same over the weekend, its an absolute sea of white and pink around the South Downs this year. Absolutely incredible. Even the twigs I planted in the garden for hedging last winter flowered.

bakey

It’s amazing here too in North Wales.

As a novice beekeeper (see a previous thread), the bees have gone absolutely berserk for it – I’m continually checking they have room to store all the nectar, and adding more empty boxes every 4 days or so, to encourage them not to swarm!

MoreCashThanDash

And pink too…

I’ve not really noticed the pink until this year, lovely

Mintyjim

Same here in sunny West Wales. My neighbours tree is stunning, especially the shades of pink that I’ve never seen before.

defblade
    Free Member

Another west Wales here, we’ve been really enjoying and commenting on it on our dog walks… especially the pink gradually coming through so strongly

myti
    Free Member

Was just saying the same this weekend. I think because it’s not rained for 3 weeks and been really sunny the blossom has lasted longer and been more plentiful

jeffl

Loads of it round here

Hawthorn blossom

J-R

Just come back from the Yorkshire Wolds and the Hawthorn blossom is like a Hockey painting on steroids this year.

CountZero

I planted a tiny little hawthorn at the bottom of my garden several years ago, to fill in a gap left by my cutting down a horrible straggly elder, and this year it flowered right at the beginning of the month. The gorse I dug up as a tiny little plant from Fyfield Down around the same time is a lot bigger and has been flowering for several years.

I was up on Morgan’s Hill nature reserve at the weekend, looking for early orchids, and the hawthorn was out as far as I could see, which was Cherhill to the east. There are loads of bushes in the middle distance as well. Found some orchids, a few common spotted, quite a few twayblades, and a single large butterfly orchid, which I’ve never seen there before. Lesser butterfly orchids in quite large numbers, but not in this particular area of the site

fazzini

Hawthorn??

MrSparkle

Also – Buttercups!

greyspoke
    Free Member

Yes buttercups as well. Actually the past few years have been good for them.

MoreCashThanDash

I had to check a field near us the other day as I thought we had some late flowering rape seed, but turned out to be buttercups. A sea of yellow

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.