Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Having second thoughts about selling !! not sure what to do??
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We couldn’t afford to keep it as due to my posting my wife is having to give her job up.

Why are you asking whether to sell or not then???

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Suburban Reuben . You forget the reason he wanted to sell from previous posts.

He seems to get shit tennents.

For this alone I would sell rather than the stress. He can’t self manage as es miles a way and his agent is useless it seems

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO #
    I must’ve been on a sickie the day we did that…

Renton, How many years have you let this out, how many tenants have you had and how many months have you had no tenants? Why were the tenants shit?
    I really wouldn’t want to be selling at the moment, though the market might be different up your way. What about a different letting agent?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Why are you asking whether to sell or not then?

That’s what I thought! 😆
    I think he wanted reassuring he was doing the right thing.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I looked at keeping the place in the uk and renting as selling it was being a right ballache.

When i worked out all out, it would have needed near enough 100% occupancy at the top end of the market just to keep on top of the mortgage/ongoing costs.

So I dropped the price 5 grand and sold it in 10 days. For 2 grand under the new asking price. So i lost 7000 imaginary pounds.

Turns out it was a good decision. It was sold again 2013, 2nd time since i moved out, for 4k more than i sold it for. Nearly 15 years to make 4 grand.

Just sell it and put the cash in the highest interest account you can.

renton
    Free Member

We have rented this and the previous house out since August 2011, 3 lots of tenants in that time..

1st lot smashed the house up and were verbally abusing neighbours and kept missing rent payments.

2nd lot tried to get the rent reduced before she moved in( which should have raised alarm bells) paid ok for about 3 months then started missing payments etc, she bought a new car and went on holiday instead of paying rent??

Current lot is a family member who has never missed a rent payment but doesn’t look after the house and keeps threatening to leave etc so weve had enough and give her notice.

We can keep it and rent it again for more than our current tenant pays but couldnt afford to keep it and not rent it if that makes sense as we live in a military married quarter so pay for that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Makes sense.

Cash hanging about is going to lose value right now IMO, interest rates are low and I imagine inflation will mean you lose money over the long term unless you find a decent account that locks it firmly away for a set time.

If you do want to sell it and make as much as possible from the sale then you need to get those upstairs rooms sorted or you will get lowballed. People don’t want a property that is going to NEED immediate attention. Sure, the ceilings look hideous but the bare walls are what draw the eye. Get rid of the fitted wardrobes that fell off the ark and all the clutter and it will look more appealing. It’s not a bad house by any stretch of the imagination but unfortnunately presentation is everything. Magnolia exists for a reason, usually because people have no imagination so need everything spelled out for them but it also serves as an easy starting point that anyone moving in can easily decorate over.

I wouldn’t bother with the big jobs you mention, just concentrate on the small ones that tell a buyer (or renter) whether it has been cared for or not.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If we sold and paid off the mortgage and all fees etc we will be left with between 50 and 55k profit as a deposit to go towards our next house.

Don’t know if anyone has already mentioned but you do know you’ll probably need to pay capital gains tax on your profit. Not sure what the allowances are as I haven’t checked recently.

br
    Free Member

Why are you asking whether to sell or not then???

Sell it then, and go back to the ones who offered £195k and take their offer.

Pay your own early-redemption fees, you’ve already said you’re making a profit. Stop being greedy, focus on what you actually HAVE to do rather than what you’d LIKE to do. And stick the money somewhere you won’t spend it.

Otherwise you could end up in a worst situation.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’d sell it, bank the profit and bank any money you would have spent adapting the outgoing property to get it how you’d want it. If house prices go up then you’ve added to your deposit for a house you actually want but if house prices fall then you’re quids in.

bigrich

sell it, use the money to try every single bike available on the market.

one of them will be right, surely.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not a nice idea but if possible I’d suggest:

Look to find Mrs Renton a job in the right neck of the woods. Move Mrs Renton into house.
    Move to smaller cheaper non married quarters on new posting.
    Keep house.
    Don’t have two of you unemployed when you leave the forces and you find a new job. In this case any cash you’ve put away will evaporate (you mention retire though and forces pensions used to be reasonable so maybe less of an issue).
    Sell house and move to suit new job once found or, if Mrs Renton has good job in area by then take the supporting role income wise and find a job locally. Don’t sell house.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Having second thoughts about selling !! not sure what to do??’ is closed to new replies.