Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Having no MOT?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

If theoretically someone had been driving round in a van for 5 months without an mot how lucky have they been not to get pulled. And what would the penalty have been for such poor admin?

st

Well without an MOT someone would have invalid insurance for a start.

nickjb
    Free Member

Very lucky as it will show up on a passing police cars computer. If you had an accident it might cause complications. If you haven’t been caught there is no penalty.

Edit. The statement about insurance above is incorrect but not having an mot can have an impact on any claim

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

How true is the insurance thing tho? If they “invalidity” of it is true them surely you’re immediately up for 6 points? I’m very surprised the offending “van” wasn’t pulled as its probably passed loads of police cars due to where it drives a lot 😯

althepal

I had a friend who forgot about the Mot on their car that “they” had bought new..
    “They” drove about for 6 weekd without it.. honestly dont know how we/they didnt set off an anpr camera with all the motorway driving they (cough) did..

nealglover
    Free Member

Well without an MOT someone would have invalid insurance for a start.

No they wouldn’t.

st

Sorted, crack on then ;o)

boblo
    Free Member

Certain segments of the population do that all the time. Apparently it’s quite alright…

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a theoretical friend who managed a similar amount of time. They also had a brush with the law, speeding, in that time as well. MOT, or their theoretical lack thereof, was never mentioned.

lunge

I too have a “friend” who forgot to renew for 4 months and did 1000 miles a week in that time. Said friend did not have any issues at all. He then remembered and got it passed without comment from the tester.

Haze

I got stopped once, only after I had wound down the window did I remember that my MOT was a couple of days overdue.

He asked the usual questions, checked the tax disc and went off on his radio leaving me in sat in the car cursing myself.

Came back a minute or so later and sent me on my way, no mention of the MOT.

LHS
    Free Member

Pretty lucky. I once forgot and drove around for about 4 months without one. Didn’t get stopped. A business paetner of mine forgot about his for 3 days and got pinged on an ANPR and fined.

epicyclo

My missus got pulled over for no MoT. In my car.

Not heard the end of it. She got fined (I paid).

alanf
    Free Member

Had a mate who was due his MOT in a few days, he got pulled and he also had his dates wrong by a month so was out of MOT. He got a fixed penalty, and got the car MOT’d that day. Got pulled by the same coppers the following day to check he wasn’t still riding round with no MOT.
    I guess it depends if there’s any ANPRs about.
    5 months sounds quite lucky.

alanf
    Free Member

Double post! Doh

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its only relativly recently that the MOT data dase has been computerised and available for ANPR checks.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mmm my friend has been very lucky then. However on realising he did the right thing and got it mot’d within 4 hrs. All good now!

senorj

I feel the “theoretical” pain & could imagine ,for example, that after the birth of first child (or other equally distracting event) that one may omitt to MOT vehicle for 6 months!! 😯

mos

This has happened to me a couple of times due to my monumental level of shedheadedness. What gets me though is the MOT is a test to assess some level of road-worthiness for the vehicles on the road & hence safety but they don’t send out any for of reminder when its due. But car tax on the other hand, you get a reminder a month before.

bruneep

Wifey drove for almost 6 months without mot. New to her car, other cars weve had the mot and tax due at the same time. It just got over looked, car taken to garage next day 1 number plate light bulb later back on the road.

Sandwich

Due to staff changes I know of a business that drove around for 8 months in a vehicle without a valid MoT certificate! This was some years back mind before the database was computerised.

sbob
    Free Member

No MOT does not invalidate insurance but can lower the value of your vehicle for insurance pay-out purposes.

mos – Member

This has happened to me a couple of times due to my monumental level of shedheadedness. What gets me though is the MOT is a test to assess some level of road-worthiness for the vehicles on the road & hence safety but they don’t send out any for of reminder when its due. But car tax on the other hand, you get a reminder a month before.

I get letters, texts and phonecalls from every garage I have ever had any of my cars MOTed at.
    Take your phone out your pocket and set a reminder on the calendar, now.
    There’s no need to thank me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you can resister for a text reminder.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-text-reminder-service

I think it’s worth it. my insurance, tax and mot all come at different times.

Insurance send you a gazillion letters – tax sens a reminder – all too easy to forget about the MOT

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have some knowledge of an occasion when someone made a similar mistake, lasting about four months. A conversation with a friendly copper suggested that, yes one might get pinged, it happens, but normally they have more important things to do. So long as you don’t attract their attention for some other reason.

Or perhaps you’d get pulled, a brief chat and the attitude test applies.

maccruiskeen

Having being in the same boat recently – MOT expired while i was working abroad for a couple of months and I got pulled when I drove back to the UK.

– A polite chat
    – £100 fixed penalty
    – no points and its not considered a ‘criminal’ offence so doesn’t show up on things like enhanced disclosures if you have to do them

They’ll let you drive home on the understanding you’re going straight home (or to a booked MOT test) and if you happened to pass another rozzer in a reasonable time frame on the same day they should give you benefit of the doubt.

I’m very surprised the offending “van” wasn’t pulled as its probably passed loads of police cars due to where it drives a lot

I think the cops needs to be actively checking plates and they also need to then be in a position to apprehend you if they get the bleep. In moving traffic a passing car will be out of sight before the APNR has time to bleep I’d imagine. In my case they’d sat themselves in a rush hour queue for traffic lights so that there was time to check the vehicles going by and to stop them. Just passing a police car isn’t likely to trigger anything if checking plates isn’t what they’re engaged in at that time.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I know this chap drives past police headquarters on his way to fetch the odd mcd’s breakfast 😳

z1ppy

honestly dont know how we/they didnt set off an anpr camera with all the motorway driving they (cough) did

Talking to some-one who works for Highways agency, he said he’d been to control rooms where they just switch the ANPR system off after so long, as there were too many to deal with….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Having no MOT?’ is closed to new replies.