Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Having my frame modified so what Alfine cable routing is best ?
  • GasmanJim
    Free Member

Considering sending my old Merlin Taiga frame to Steve Potts for a disc brake conversion. While I'm at it thought I'd get some additional cable guides fitted for the new Alfine 11 speed due out later this year. From what I can figure out the best thing would be some (3 or 4) disc hose zip tie cable guides along the under side of the down tube and another couple along the under side of the right hand chain stay. Am I right? Any other suggestions ?

mboy
    Free Member

What you describe sounds spot on…

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Thanks.

psychle
    Free Member

exactly what I do, though with those stick on 3M cable guide things… would be interested more about sending your frame to Steve, I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my Ibis Bow-ti… from your other post it looks like courier is quite expensive (though I guess a lot of that is insurance?)

finnegan
    Free Member

Someone on here recently suggested that by angling the Alfine hub differently (I think using the 'wrong' locking washer thing) you could have cable routing along the top tube and down the right seatstay instead of under the BB – I've lost the link, and not tried it at home, but that sounds like a much better idea if it works!

avdave2

Get them on the left chainstay as well, you never know you might become a hub convert and want a Rohloff on it one day. You'll hardly notice them when they are not in use.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cable stop on DT,guide at BB, another stop on c'stay, just like back in teh day!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What you (OP) suggest is what my IO ID has and it works fine

Hicksy
    Free Member

You can set them up for either down tube/chain stay or top tube/seat stay which ever suits the frame best. If you go the seat stay route make sure the lowest one isn't to low. My old Inbred has the lowest one to close to the drop out so is redundant.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Thanks all. Must admit I'm also thinking about some Rohloff guides for LHS, but really can't help feeling that this would still be a fudge without a (sliding) Rohloff specific dropout. I've enquired about changing the dropouts to Parragon Ti sliders but Steve says this is a no no as the stays are at the wrong angle. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a Steve Potts frame with all this fancy stuff (might be sooner than I think if my wife's share dealing keeps on like it is at present!). In the meantime I plan to use an aftermarket eccentric BB (not the Eccentricator, the other one).

mk1fan
    Free Member

finnegan – Member
    (I think using the 'wrong' locking washer thing)

Alfine hub is supplied with four anti-turn washers. Different combinations of these allows you to run the hub in either horizontal or vertical dropouts and the cable along either the chain or seat stays.

Frame mods sound fun. I'd like to convert a Handjob frame into a more adventure tourer.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Yes, I think the frame mods will be fun, albeit rather expensive fun. But then an old classic frame will be given a new lease of life I think.

avdave2

If you have the EBB to tension the chain I don't see that you'll need the Rohloff specific sliding dropout as you could use something like the monkeybone with your new disc mounts to act as a torque arm. A search on here should show a few examples of their use.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Having my frame modified so what Alfine cable routing is best ?’ is closed to new replies.