• This topic has 12 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Have you owned a Fiat Grande Punto? Any good?
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Looking for a first car and because of my budget and insurance costs i’ve been recommended the Fiat Grante Punto  1.4 petrol  and 1.9 diesel versions and can get one for a good price.. I was wondering if anyone has owned these and if so can share their thoughts, particularly on reliability,

john_drummer
    Free Member

F.I.A.T – fix it again tomorrow

allegedly.

Worst depreciating cars in the UK, so if it’s already done its depreciating, you might be on to a winner

muzz
    Free Member

Cheap, knocky ride experience.

Fuse boxes that get damp and cause all manner of electrical gremlins.

Faulty indicator stalk.

Underpowered and overworked crap 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines

A blower motor you have to smack to get it working

Heaps of shit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its the same as the Alfa MiTo and shares many of its faults, steering columns are popular and also the M32 six speed gearbox.

connect2

Conversely my Daughter’s just got a 1.4 for her first car and she likes it, cheap to buy and cheap to insure. I can kinda see where Muzz is coming from but it’s all about expectations. I’ve a Doblo which has served me well for the last couple of years. They’re not the fanciest of cars but they do what we want them to and have been reliable so far

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve had a 57 plate Fiat Bravo for the last 2 years. 1.9 16v diesel. Engine was faultless, only bills were for wear and tear items plus a leaky radiator replacement.

However, last week the turbo ate its own insides! Repair bill was more than the car was worth so I sold it to an Italian car hobbyist and got myself a new (to me) car instead (I even managed to buy it myself without having to ask eveyone on here to make a decision for me 😉 ).

From going on user forums the M32 gearbox with the 1.4 petrol engines were prone to a lot of expensive problems. The diesels have a different box in.

It’s worth looking at the Bravo. Insurance may be cheaper as they’re not classic boy racer cars like the Punto and they’re pretty cheap. As john_drummer says, all the depriciating is already done.

RustySpanner

Brilliant little car.

Mrs has the 1.2, a few electrical gremlins (heater, rear window) otherwise fine.

And the best looking supermini of all time.

Handling is surprisingly good but a bit noisy on the motorway.

Get a blue one.

the-muffin-man

We’ve had 3 Fiats – apart from normal wear and tear nothing went wrong with them.

martymac

I had a prev gen punto, 1.3 diesel.

Had it from new, no faults in 70k miles.

2004 model.

i liked it, same engine can be found in,

panda

corsa

astra

second hand, or bangernomics, you buy on condition.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I could be wrong but don’t they have utterly appalling Euro NCAP ratings?

simon_g

My brother bought one new in 2009, not had any problems with it since.

The Euro NCAP thing – it was a 5 star car when it launched in 2005. It got re-tested recently as it’s somehow still on sale and got zero stars, which seemed to be entirely down to optional (not standard) side airbags and no extra safety stuff that more recent cars have like autonomous emergency braking.

For someone buying an older one it’s very good for the standards of the time, and compares very well with similarly aged/priced cars in the class.

tthew

We had a 1.3 diesel. Great little car. It went through 3 or 4 MOT’s with only a broken coil spring to it’s name. Eventually got rid as mostly sort journeys weren’t doing the engine any favours, (the 1.3 at the time was a sight more sophisticated than the 1.9 with moar DMF’s and stuff) but that was our fault, not the cars.

The MkII we had before it was similarly ace.

hugo
    Free Member

I hired a Fiat Tipo over the summer for 4 weeks.

Incredibly impressed by it.  If I were in the market for a hatch I’d seriously consider it.  Drives well, looks good, far more spacious than it looks, and crucially, didn’t annoy me in any way!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Have you owned a Fiat Grande Punto? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.