• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Have you had boots made for you?
  • zippykona

For some reason my right foot has gotten wide. Well it hasn’t when I measure it ,it’s slightly narrower than my left.
    However, the right side of my right foot is really tight inside the boot.
    Couple this with needing an unlined leather boot with a bellows tongue and you soon run out of options. Just ordered some DMs which are tight, might give but at £150 I’m not really prepared to take a risk.
    My last (UK made) DMs fitted the bill perfectly and lasted me over 15 years.
    This got me thinking that if I had some boots made that fitted my needs (and feet) they will initially be expensive but not so if they give me good service.
    Googled bootmakers in London and they all seem to be for suit shoes. I need something like DMs and hopefully local to Surrey.
    Have you been in a similar situation?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

William Rufflander

grumpyrs

There are shoe stretching options.
    The Ilkley Shoe company offer a service, admittedly not in your area though.

zippykona

Had my previous non uk DMs stretched and still too small. The size up were massive.
    Mrs Zip now has them .

mahowlett
    Free Member

Modern DM’s are terrible, a real shame, cheap overpriced crap and the uk made ones are barely better than the asian ones. Loads of better boots out there for the price, check Rose Anvil on you tube for decent reviews https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCId9g4zlQ9BOn6fLKIt1Y0A.

I’ve got some Red Back pull ons that I really like, but they are great standing at a workbench type boot, not so good for walking round in. Jim Greens are supposed to be good fo the money, but if your toe is genuinely big, maybe try some mock toe boots instead as they tend to have more room at the front.

slowol

Altberg in Richmond are probably worth a try. They will look at your feet then add bits to foot forms before making them at the factory just down the road.
    I think a lot of their business comes from the army as Catterick Garrison is just up the road so any problem feet just get sent to Altberg.

I went there one because or narrow feet but they sold me some other boots and inserts as they thought that would be the best bet for me. The boots were great till they wore out after several years abuse.

https://www.altberg.co.uk

Site says shop closed for lockdown at the minute but could be worth dropping them a line to ask.

5plusn8
    Free Member

You can make your own shoe stretcher, use cheap pine approx thickness of your toes – eg 25mm, stand on it, draw around foot, jigsaw it out, shape a bit with file, sander etc. Stick in shoe leave for a while, take out let shoe relax, do again repeat until happy.
    I did this with my meindl walking boots after an injury made a lump on my foot, I added the lump to the wood with sugru and it worked a treat.

stevextc
    Free Member

Only in Mexico ….

kilo

James Taylor in Marylebone will make boots, maybe not with a DM sole but with something reasonably tough, but it is spendy a pair of their shoes c£1200 iirc and can take about a year.
    Lovely shoes though and will last a lifetime
    As mentioned above Rufflander / William
    Enron. I also have a pair of these William Lennon boots

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/shop/heritage-footwear/town-and-country-boots/178-tan-waxy-leather-sole-boot/

Very helpful company and definitely worth calling them

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Have you had boots made for you?’ is closed to new replies.