Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Have you ever had an MTB that felt 100% right?
  • I’m guessing if people are totally honest, no-one will say yes – I mean 100% as in no niggles, perfect fit, ideal for your type of riding without fault in all conditions/terrain.

Rather than buy a new bike, I’ve further upgraded mine and it’s coming close – it’s now the best bike I’ve had by some margin, in terms of fit, ride, capabilities, but I can still see some minor flaws, that I don’t know I could ever iron out completely. It’s feeling pretty damn fly though!

So, how close have you come to bike ownership Nirvana?

jam-bo

Yarp. 6 yr old strange five. Ridden lots of other bikes and yet to find anything I want to replace it with.

Simon

It’s taken a few years to get here but I’m happy with my mountain bikes, perfect for the riding I do 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I flung a leg over my bfe tonight, and it feels 100% good after coming from a hire np mega in molini. Perhaps something to do with the brakes on my bike not being avid elixirs…. 😈

orangeboy
    Free Member

For me this year my enduro is a one bike for everything
    I keep up with my friends on xc rides
    It easily copes with every terrain
    It goes up hill far better than any 160 mm bike ever should

It’s a little slower than my road bike on my commute but hardly matters

orangeboy – Member

For me this year my enduro is a one bike for everything
    I keep up with my friends on xc rides
    It easily copes with every terrain
    It goes up hill far better than any 160 mm bike ever should

It’s a little slower than my road bike on my commute but hardly matters

So does my (’08 S-Works) orangeboy – but is yours PERFECT? That’s the question – absolutely no room for improvement anywhere?

donncha

Yeti ASR5C; perfect for me!

nickc

Sort if cane close with my Chameleon, but as I’ve just changed it for a Shan either my riding wants have changed* or my bike requirements have

* this mostly, but a bit if both

coolhandluke
    Free Member

2 rides in and my 2010 Santa Cruz Blur LTc is feeling pretty much perfect. Guisburn and Glentress.

Going from 2 bikes (456ti and Enduro) was a gamble that appears to have paid off, so far anyway as I am having way more fun on the blur.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep I think it is , well if I think a little maybe the forks need fixing as a little poor at the moment
    But that’s more a service issue

Keep think about xx1 but yet to find a hill I’ve had to walk up and with the current gearing can get 19 mph average on my commute to work before an evening ride.

boxfish
    Free Member

My old Cotic Soda with Fox F120 forks and Hope Pro II/Mavic 819 was nigh on perfect for me. Such a shame it broke.

ska-49
    Free Member

Yes, Kona Explosif 650b in 17”
    First bike I’ve ever ridden that has clicked 100%.
    How do you improve perfect? Add a dropper.

scotroutes

My 9:zero:7 fatbike is pretty much 100%. I’m currently trying to get my El Mariachi past 50% but I think it’s more unfamiliarity than anything else 😕

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep. This one, like no other one I’ve had. It just really works for me 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Damn it, why can’t post pictures from flickr!! What am I doing wrong?!?

nick1962
    Free Member

2 rides in and my 2010 Santa Cruz Blur LTc is feeling pretty much perfect. Guisburn and Glentress
    A pretty and exhaustive definitive test then 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yep ..my old Karate Monkey ……then I went and sold it 😥

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yarp

tazzymtb

Jones space frame with a fat front. Looks odd but just a brilliant bike for everything I want to do.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup. My thing – quirky but just feels perfect for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My BFe feels perfect but there are things I want to do to it that will make it better on paper.

A few small things and my Enduro evo will be perfect.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My downhill bike ( NP Scalp) liberally laced with Saint stuff, CC Double Barrel shock, Fox 40’s has elevated my DH results far beyond anything I thought I would ever be able to achieve. I’m slowly starting to believe I’m actually pretty good at this downhill lark (5 mins 11 seconds at fort bill few weeks ago) but I am absolutely aware that the bike has allowed me to ride beyond my limits.

It’s 100% perfect. For me.

shermer75
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB, what frame is that?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Nope to your question.

I’d make quite a few geometry changes to my BFe. The MDE is very close but not quite there due to a saddle that catches my shorts.I can easily fix that when I find a replacement that catches my eye.

AlasdairMc

My El Mariachi is pretty perfect – first bike I’ve ignored cost and just bought what I wanted for it. It’s not a super expensive build but I didn’t compromise on anything so it fits my needs exactly.

plumber
    Free Member

Inbred 853 s/s and geared. Just love I do

user-removed
    Free Member

The current bike just needs a new frame to be perfect… The only bike that’s actually felt like an extension of my person was a Kona Lavadome. Fully rigid. Suited my riding at the time (over 20 years ago). Just felt so right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes- though it’s a new bike….
    Done the local trails, some big mountain stuff and some XC stuff. It seems like it’s a no compromise* bike for me
    Blur LTc with an entirely custom spec

*for what I have to ride – I would have gone the Nomad if I was still in the lakes

andypaul99
    Free Member

My old 2007 Spesh Stumpjumper FSR, just a perfect fit, super confident when riding it. I miss you stumpy. 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

The one I have now actually. Bog standard GF 29er. When you get a bike that honestly want’s to make you ride more you know you have a winner.

It took me years to realise that you can’t upgrade a bike that doesn’t feel right. Ditch it and start again.

Nobby

Nothing I’ve ridden in the last 5 years feels as ‘right’ as my ASR.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mine?

Klein Attitude.

Bloody lovely.

crazy-legs

My first S-Works FSR (in about 2000-2001).

Built up as a lightweight XC race bike and in those days for FS to be that good, that light was a revelation.
    It also had one of the very first production sets of Hope Mini disc brakes, other MTBers were very jealous when they saw them!

But yeah. for the type of riding and racing I was doing at the time, it was spot on. It did used to get a bit out of its depth in places like the Lake District, the Peak District etc if you really went nuts on it, could feel the forks flexing.

Sold the bike on here to a guy who converted it to slightly longer travel and used it as an off-road tourer for many years. Such a capable bike.

ska-49
    Free Member

It took me years to realise that you can’t upgrade a bike that doesn’t feel right.

So true 🙁

LoCo
    Free Member

No bike build is finished till it’s 100%, this can take quite a while, sometimes so long it gets sold before it’s sorted 😉
    Current Albert classic is sorted, the Remedy still need a little geo tweak with a shorter eye to eye shock being made but that should make it just so hopefully

jp-t853

My old 2005 cove handjob with pace rc31 forks and full xt. I sold it last year as I only have a commuter now and I only keep one bike.

I don’t like the kafenback in the same way but it suits my riding needs better

TheFopster
    Free Member

I have a 2010 Zesty – bought it new from a big chain store type shop (end of year sale). It is completely stock except for saddle/grips (as white not too practical in the mud…) and tyres (which surely don’t count as a change?). It is only the basic model 214 but I don’t think I will change anything except when bits wear out (like the BB which has done so several times already). I’d like lighter wheels but not enough to do anything about it. I’d like the bike to be a bit lighter but not enough to spend a lot more money. For what I do and how good a rider I am (not very) it is just about perfect. Greased and adjusted the rear hub yesterday and as I was putting it back in the shed I was thinking to myself “what a great bike”. 😀

Wonder how long it will last me?

retro83
    Free Member

2008 Commy Meta 5. Great bike, got rid as it was in the dodgy patch when they all snapped except mine didn’t and AFAIK the guy I sold it to is still ragging around on it.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Still in pursuit of perfection. My Soul rides beautifully, but I wish it was an 18.5″ frame.

575 is not far off perfection – shorter stem, wider bars and more reliable forks needed.

Cube reaction GTC 29er is getting there – lots of messing about with the riding position, but it needs 2×10 and rapid rise, plus the ride is a bit harsh.

Suspect perfection will remain elusive. Or be a Solaris.

maccruiskeen

Titus X

Bolted it together lifted off the workstand and jumped on and I even had seatpost in the right place first time. First ride felt like I’d always owned it. Absolutely bang on. Second ride great. Next time I went to the shed it was gone.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever had an MTB that felt 100% right?’ is closed to new replies.